Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > Gamer Finder

Old 01-22-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
FallenCrown

Default looking for a gm

ok, i'm kinda a new gamer, I don't have too many friends and no one I know personally has any interest in roleplaying. I spend most of my solitary roleplaying time making characters, items, or new stuff for the game. for example I founded that disadvantage moral piety. I made a character at 575 points so far and i'd like to play him some time if there's a gm willing to take me on here's the character so far:

Sephiroth
ST: 17
DX: 18
IQ: 14
HT: 20

HP: 18
Will: 15
Per: 13
FP: 20

BS: 11.5
BM: 11

Advs
Enhanced Time Sense
Very High Pain Threshold (+8 to resist)
Immortality (from 3rd edition/highlander)
Night Vision 9
Regeneration (Slow)

Perks
Cloaked
Cool
Quick-Sheathe (Sword)
Rest in Pieces

Dis
Bloodlust (9 or less)
Callous
Dignity (Insufferable) (an old dis off the gcm)
Discipline of Faith (Ritualism)
Intolerance (Reclusive) (Total Intolerance)
Lifebane
Live by the sword; die by the sword (a dis I coined after for an uncursed sword spirit)
Sadism
Sense of Duty (Torture)

Quirks
Abstains from intimate relationships
Draws his sword once again to forget
Loner
Vengeful
Would prefer to be killed than to be suspected of cowardice

the character's non written species is Malificarum and is kinda a self insert but it'd be my first game, i'll check back here please help me roleplay it's just not worth it to me to keep buying books but never get to spend any table top time

cya
FallenCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: looking for a gm

Something that would help you find a group is revealing where you're located.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
FallenCrown

well, i'm in florida but i'd prefer to play online
Old 01-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Are you up for play by post?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenCrown View Post
well, i'm in florida but i'd prefer to play online
Time zones still matter, and there are quite a few non-Americans on these forums.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
mook

Hiya, FallenCrown,

The unofficial Discord server in my .sig has a Looking for Group channel you can try, as well as a spreadsheet for players looking for GMs and vice-versa.

For online play, both Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 (and I assume most virtual tabletops) have their own LFG areas too.

Good luck!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #7
FallenCrown

I could try play by post, tell me more about it. I remember when I was younger a lot of my friends did gurps stuff online though like with icq or skype, barest minimum you just need a chat room and any gm worth their salt could find more play aids for onlne
Old 02-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenCrown View Post
I could try play by post, tell me more about it.
Play by Post is a slower format. You play with comments like this on forums much like this (we have a very slow one here that I'm always looking to get people into). RPOL.net and Myth-weavers.com are more dedicated and active centers to play by post. Its a good format if you don't have chunks of time you can reliably set aside to play online through discord or roll20.

In the old days play by post referred to playing games like chess or diplomacy through snail mail.

I'm going to try and start another play by post game here in the next few days.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Sorry, this sorta turned into a GM-to-player lecture. Feel free to ignore me.

Don’t take this personally, FallenCrown, but your character isn’t terribly interesting for a GM to bring into a game. Really, it’s an edge lord. I wouldn’t allow this character in any of my games (first of all, I wouldn’t allow the old Immortality advantage, but otherwise, it’s just not an interesting character).

A good character should have hooks, and this one really doesn’t. I mean, this character looks like an unsubtle expy of the FFVII character of the same name. While he had hooks, he was a villain and worked better as a foil than as a PC. Another very important aspect of a character is quite meta, it’s “how is this character going to get along with the other PCs and how are they going to share focus?” The next is “How are they going to help move the story forward without antagonizing the other players?”

If I was handed this character, I would make time to sit the player down and have the conversation: “Okay, wow, you missed the mark. What are you trying to do?” The question would be asked as an actual question, not a rhetorical one assuming shenanigans. You’re a new player, so, you’re going to get a lot wrong. That’s fine. The only way you can get better is to make a bunch of mistakes.

For the last season of my Infinite Weirdos game, we had . . . interesting characters.
  • A Guardian of Mainframe (yes, from the old Reboot show)
  • A young galliard werewolf
  • A soul-collector demon
  • A Starfleet Medical officer*
  • A Plant mage
  • A master swordswoman (based, unsubtly on the character Saeko from High School of the Dead)*
  • A combat android based (Based off of 2B from Nier Automata)
  • The template for the Human Race

The Starfleet Medical officer left and was replaced by the Combat Android, and when Saeko died, she was replaced by the Template. Each of these characters have their own hooks. Each of them fits together, and they play together. During the first season, the characters that endured the entire season had their hooks tugged at: The Guardian was told that Mainframe had fallen. The Werewolf was torn between being a storyteller and a major combat monster. The Soul-Collector came face-to-face with one of the Kings of Hell (Asmodeus), who had no instructions for her. The Plant Mage got to finally meet her missing father (and hero from the first Infinite Weirdo’s season). In our discord, I recently teased a method to expand on the Combat Android’s story (to the player’s surprise). Unfortunately, the Swordswoman/Template player seems to have lost the time to play.

Making an expy isn’t a bad thing, so long as you make it your own character. Making an edge lord is a bad thing, unless you’ve discussed it with your GM and other players (understanding that you don’t have either). A recovering edge lord is an interesting character. A character clawing their way back from the dark, broody, loner type who does a certain type of work, and they’re very, very good at it.

When you make a character, remember that you’ll be in a group. And you’ll have to work, dynamically, within that group. The game isn’t a story about your character, it’s a story that all of you are telling together.

All that being said, my group meets on Sundays, through Discord and Tabletop Simulator in Steam (link is to TTS’s Steam Web Page). We play on Sundays from about 1500-1900 eastern time (1300-1700 mountain time, where I’m located). We do have two players on the east coast. Right now, we’re playing a dinosaur apocalypse game (yeah, I’m still working out how dinosaurs cause an apocalypse, other than just suddenly having them appear in a modern setting). PM me if you’re interested. You wouldn't be playing the character listed above, but, we can work on something.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote