Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #71
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: Updating GURPS IST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Sadly, the lack of 9/11 would not have prevented the destabilization of the Middle-East, due to the rise of Wahabism-inspired extremist groups and economic destabilization caused by droughts due to climate change.

Although the addition of Superbeings, Reliable Fusion power and other revolutionary technologies, both from Earth inventors and alien acquisitions, would change a lot.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #72
robkelk
Untitled

That they would, yes. The fusion plants will help reduce (but not eliminate) greenhouse-gas emissions, which will help reduce (but not eliminate) the climate change... but the fusion plants will also reduce the need for fossil fuels, which will economically impact any oil-producing nation.

But as far as the setting goes, we have what we have...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #73
Pomphis

Quote:
but the fusion plants will also reduce the need for fossil fuels, which will economically impact any oil-producing nation.
And the rechargeable powercells. With them electric cars can compete, and you can even build electric propellor planes. I designed an electric super jumbo with VE2.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:20 PM   #74
Refplace

Quote:
That they would, yes. The fusion plants will help reduce (but not eliminate) greenhouse-gas emissions, which will help reduce (but not eliminate) the climate change... but the fusion plants will also reduce the need for fossil fuels, which will economically impact any oil-producing nation.

But as far as the setting goes, we have what we have...
I dont see why anew IST book could not update the setting to reflect recent history. i would love to see this come out again, maybe even a boxed set.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #75
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I dont see why anew IST book could not update the setting to reflect recent history.
That's what this thread is all about, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
i would love to see this come out again, maybe even a boxed set.
Bob is not averse to writing a box set. But let's see how the Dungeon Fantasy set does before clamoring for a second box.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #76
LoneWolf23k

Been going through my books again, and a random thought occured to me, for crossing over IST with Cyberworld: the timeline of IST ends with 1990. The timeline of Cyberworld begins with 1990.

Shouldn't take too much work to splice the two timelines end-to-end, modifying the world of Cyberworld to add in references to Supers, for a Marvel 2099 feel. Tolliver's Disease could be super-healing resistant, or affect supers even more dramatically, causing radical, dehumanizing mutations in active supers. Thus, the I.S.T.s were nearly powerless in stopping the plague, and public opinion might turn against "monsterized" supers, with "True Humans Against Metahumans and Freaks" gaining more popularity.

The collapse of NATO also leads to the decline of the International Super-Teams as an institution. While the use of Military Super-Teams is still banned by the 1982 Treaty, the rise of P.M.C Super-teams subverts this ban rather nicely, with most First World nations signing extensive service contracts to them rather then create their own super-soldiers.

Tech Level would be more advanced then regular Cyberworld, a mature 9 veering on early 10, with a lot of super-tech.

The NERCCs would have an entire division dedicated towards hunting down "Rogue Supers", with their own "Tame" supers and maybe even Sentinel-style robots.

Edit: Should I make this into a separate thread?

Last edited by LoneWolf23k; 10-09-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: a question
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #77
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Edit: Should I make this into a separate thread?
No, there's room for this here. If this isn't canon, then this is the third "alternate timeline" in this thread so far.

Tags
international super teams