Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Jaware

Default ultratech payload in a shell.

I'm looking to figure out how to make a payload. Preferably 15 mm ot so for a gyroc minimissle.

to be specific I am wanting a GPS with a radio transmitter.

Enabling one of the classic "shoot at so I can track it" type deals.

more specific I also want to put somone sort of slaved ultratech AI that does a navigation roll and a forward observer roll so you target the device with a different bigger round. Such as a motar shelling, or cannon shot, or even so much as a micro missile woth a payload.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: ultratech payload in a shell.

Well, given that a hand grenade has no propulsion system, it seems like a reasonable model for the capacity of a warhead. Extrapolating from the sizes there, the total weight is (size/64mm)^3 lb, or 0.013 lb for a 15mm. Add a case weight and figure you can put any reasonably durable 0.01 lb object into a 15mm projectile. Halve that weight if you want an armor piercing projectile (i.e. APEX).
Old 01-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Are you proposing to put an AI in the tracker round? That might be a problem (even high-TL computers have problems at small enough sizes) but shouldn't be necessary - sending whatever information the round has to the shooter so they can do the math in a more reasonably-sized system should not be a problem.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I'm looking to figure out how to make a payload. Preferably 15 mm ot so for a gyroc minimissle.

to be specific I am wanting a GPS with a radio transmitter.

Enabling one of the classic "shoot at so I can track it" type deals.
The device you are looking for is the Homing Beacon from UT p.105. Its' SM is given as -11 but that's 25mm along its' longest dimension. A sphere of -11 SM would be only 12.5 mm across.

So that and some Molecular Glue should fit easily inside a 15mm warhead. I wouldn't even require a Gadgeteer Roll. Shoot it at your target and they'll just think it failed to penetrate armor or was some kind of dud.

So, not quite in the book but I'd call it standard stuff.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Are you proposing to put an AI in the tracker round? That might be a problem (even high-TL computers have problems at small enough sizes) but shouldn't be necessary - sending whatever information the round has to the shooter so they can do the math in a more reasonably-sized system should not be a problem.
I was planning on putting a different system on the gun.

like a gyroc with an "underbarrel" computer with the AI to do the calculations.

that's the plan anyways.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
The device you are looking for is the Homing Beacon from UT p.105. Its' SM is given as -11 but that's 25mm along its' longest dimension. A sphere of -11 SM would be only 12.5 mm across.

So that and some Molecular Glue should fit easily inside a 15mm warhead. I wouldn't even require a Gadgeteer Roll. Shoot it at your target and they'll just think it failed to penetrate armor or was some kind of dud.

So, not quite in the book but I'd call it standard stuff.
That's pretty much what I was looking for. I figured it already existed somewhere I just needed to look for it or find somone who already already knew.

I appreciate it kindly.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #7
clu2415

The AI only needs to be part of your gear and have access to the frequencies the trackers transmit on. If you're carrying a mortar box, then it could fire on its own. Otherwise, the AI will be forwarding the tracker location to a designated ally who will be the one pulling the trigger.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
The AI only needs to be part of your gear and have access to the frequencies the trackers transmit on. If you're carrying a mortar box, then it could fire on its own. Otherwise, the AI will be forwarding the tracker location to a designated ally who will be the one pulling the trigger.
That's the plan. Now I need to figure out how to make the ai. I don't really know how to make one of them that's able to do what I want it to do.

Well I was wanting one of those mortar boxes from ultratech that is designed to fire remotly.

so one could set up the mortar away from combat. Then when you get into combat, you haveaccess to minor artillery. Useful from dropping smokes, plasma or force warheads etc.

Essentially by painting something with one of the trackers.

like for instance a MG nest that has you pinned down. Paint it with a tracker. Then send forth Thr mortar to fix that problem.

Tags
artificial intelligance, guns, tracking, ultratech