Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #251
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

The topic "Ogre Archaeology" contains some mention of recovered TFT stuff, too.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #252
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
You are misreading me *badly* here - I am not proposing classes for TFT. Please reread the earlier posts between Ty and myself to get the proper understanding of what is really being discussed. Your interpretation is wrong and takes my post utterly and completely out of context.
Ummm...this turns out not to be the case. What I wrote was pretty clearly intended as a joke. I understood your comments perfectly.

Last edited by JLV; 01-10-2018 at 01:19 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #253
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
The topic "Ogre Archaeology" contains some mention of recovered TFT stuff, too.
It is way cool that you found the original Ogre material still more or less intact. That's a huge boon to us Ogre players out here -- I really look forward to seeing it.

I shudder to think of the loss of TFT material...that would have been fascinating to see. Still, I wonder how much the beginning concepts in the magic notes you mentioned changed as you playtested the games...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #254
tbeard1999

Default Re: TFT - Highly skilled characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all,
I am totally charmed that TFT is coming back! Great work Steve!
<waves>

Hallo Rick. Hope all's well!

--Ty
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #255
Rick_Smith

Default Re: TFT - Highly skilled characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
<waves>

Hallo Rick. Hope all's well!

--Ty
Hi Ty!
Yes, things are going very well. I've retired and with some of my extra time, I've been doing work on my TFT campaign. :-D

I have a new email, so if you want to contact me, send me a request thru this forum and I'll PM you with the new email.

Warm regards, Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #256
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post

Well, actually, they didn't, if no one got past UC III..
.[/I]
None of the players achieved UC V but a number of NPCs were that level, including all Mnoren 😜
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #257
Bayarea

[QUOTE=JLV;2147322]Steve, since we're on the subject of rules issues, one of my main ones has always been "attribute bloat." I've written about it several times over on Mark Tabyanan's fan-site, and pretty much every house rule I've ever made for TFT has been dedicated to overcoming that issue. If the average human female has a ST of 9-11 and the average human male has a ST of 10-12, being able to bump a character up to a ST of 43 seems...excessive. Similarly, if an IQ of greater than 14 is considered "genius," and we know that actual "geniuses" are rare in human history, an IQ of 36 somehow seems extreme. DX, at least, tends to be self-limiting to some extent -- after about 20 it's really sort of pointless to add in extra DX points for the most part.

I have to respond to the bloat misconception. This is what gets me even playing the same character for 35 years it would be nearly impossible to get to ST 43, DX20 and IQ 36. Even with wishes which are limited to increasing an attribute to 16 you would have get 47 more attribute points a 95 point character at 640000 EP to get one attribute point. Or to put it another way you would have to kill 10000 7hex dragons if it was only the one character getting all the ep. The beauty of the system is that people still get killed just like real life. I have gotten a couple of characters up to the 56- 60 point range but then they retired or became sponsors for younger PC's, but most die at some point due to either a bad die roll or treachery. Rich people tend to have enemies.
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #258
Bayarea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I joined the SCA to research MELEE (and had a lot of fun, and stayed in for years). One of the first things that I learned is that most swordfighting does not involve parries; fencing is a spectacular exception. If you are using your weapon to parry, you are not using it to strike.

Now, rattan (which is what SCA weapons are made of) is NOT the same thing as metal. It is known :) I am told by those who have swung real swords at real shields that metal has less "bounce" even when it does not bite into its target. But I came away feeling that if you have a blocking device (cloak, shield, second sword, chair) you should use that to block with, and use your weapon to hit with.

I enjoyed SCA fencing a great deal, and eventually became competent, and it really is a different art.
As a fencer of over 20 years of experience and having experience with real sword as well I tend to agree for the most part especially in a 5 second window someone is usually going to hit. I always felt that this part was subsumed into the game mechanics, as it says on pg 20 of AM "An ordinary fighter takes any opening and thanks the gods of war for it"

That being said there are always the Scaramouche's, D'Artagnan's and Rochefort's of the fiction world, so I suggest a talent:

Advanced Fencing (11 IQ) The best of the best fencers you must have Sword, and Fencing talents and a DX of 15 and your armor may not reduce your adjDX below 15 when you use this ability. You may use any sword you have the strength for. When you use this talent you are allow to parry one non missle attack from your front hexes with a base adjDX of 6, then you add the difference between the adjDX of the attacker versus the adjDX of the Fencer. For example on of the Cardinal’s Guards attacks D’Artagnan the Guards adjDX is 11 and D’Artagnan’s is 17 a net of 6. So Guard rolls to hit (he lands) now D’Artagnan has to roll a 12 or less to parry which he does. Then he may attack at -4 to his adjDX or 13.

The other option is that the fencer can add another -4 to his adjDX to add 4 to his parry option. For example D’Artagnan is fighting Rochefort (adjDX 16) he may want to make sure he doesn’t get hit by reducing the accuracy of his riposte. In this case the D’Artagnan has to roll a 11 or less (6 +1 for the difference in adjDX +4 for reducing his attack accuracy. Then D’Artagnan needs a 9 or less to hit on his attack.

This could be combined with Two Weapons and add the option of a heavy cloak.

Last edited by Bayarea; 01-11-2018 at 06:14 PM. Reason: bad typist
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #259
Rick_Smith

Hi all,
After TFT died, I bought a lot of GURPS stuff. I tried to move my players over to GURPS a couple times, but it did not take. It just seemed slower. I reasoned that we knew TFT really well, but GURPS was slow because we didn't know the more complex rules. So I started a GURPS campaign and we played it until all of use knew GURPS backwards and forwards. We were not slow because we didn't know the rules.

The PC's knew the importance of good active defences, and put a lot of points into them. My NPC's felt the same way.

---

Normally, a fight against a bunch of mooks results in the PC's getting a wound or two and the mooks dying. (Or some die and the rest run away.)

In TFT, a PC swings and hits, the enemy swings and hits, the PC swings and hits and the combat is over. Nice and quick.

In GURPS, the PC swings and hits, but enemy parries. Enemy swings and hits, and PC parries. PC swings and hits and Enemy parries. Enemy misses. PC swings and hits and enemy misses his parry! Enemy swings and hits and PC parries. PC swings and hits and enemy parries. Enemy swings and hits, but PC parries. PC hits, enemy misses parry and combat is over.

Exactly the same result, but the GURPS fight takes 3 times longer than TFT to play out.

After that, we went back to TFT and stayed there.

---

I game mastered a pbem game in Dave Seagraves Thail campaign, and - foolishly - I used his rules, rather than my own. He had an auto parry rule, and for the characters with a high DX, well, they were not hit much. Fighting NPC's with high DX was slow and frustrating.

I STRONGLY recommend against any sort of parrying as a free action in TFT. If you want complex and realistic cut and thrust, then play GURPS.

If you want to be harder to hit, get a Blur ring, or add some talents where anyone attacking you thru your front hexes gets a -3 adj DX to hit you. I have made such talents and they work. I really like the roll to hit, then roll for damage mechanic in TFT.

If you just like the idea of cut and thrust, clashes of swords, then fine. But don't make parrying a free action, which comes into play on EVERY attack.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #260
Melichor

Back in the day we added these talents to give characters a higher level of weapon skill and ability.

IQ 9
"Melee Weapon Talent" Expert (2): The ability to use these weapons in an expert fashion. This talent gives you +2 DX when attacking with these weapons. You are also proficient in using these weapons for defense, your weapon acts as a shield to stop 2 hits.
Prerequisite: Melee WEAPON TALENT.

IQ 11
"Melee Weapon Talent" Master (2): You have Mastered the ability to use these weapons. This talent gives you +2 DX (in addition to the +2 bonus from "Weapon Talent" Expert) when attacking with these weapons.This talent permits a character fighting with these weapons, on
any turn he attacks, to do any one of the following:
(a) attack twice, at normal DX for the first attack and -4 for the second one. The attacks may be against the same OR different figures.
(b) make a normal attack and parry using the weapon to stop 4 hits.
(c) when Defending, stopping 6 hits of damage in addition to the opponent rolling 4 dice when attacking.
Prerequisite: "Weapon Talent" Expert.
Melichor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard