Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 03-06-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default CARnage file errors

Most of the supported cars in Minis Set 1 - 4 have support errors that Lychee Slicer cannot correct. 3d Builder can fix them, but it takes quite a chunk of time to repair each model.

Here is an image after trying to repair Spark 014 in Lychee. Next to it is a version I repaired in 3d Builder.

Can we expect to see repaired versions of these files?
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:10 PM   #2
Worldwalker

Default Re: CARnage file errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Most of the supported cars in Minis Set 1 - 4 have support errors that Lychee Slicer cannot correct. 3d Builder can fix them, but it takes quite a chunk of time to repair each model.

Here is an image after trying to repair Spark 014 in Lychee. Next to it is a version I repaired in 3d Builder.

Can we expect to see repaired versions of these files?
Are you having a problem with them actually printing, or just with the slicer complaining?

Both the support creator and I test printed all of them, and the prints came out fine.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:26 AM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Are you having a problem with them actually printing, or just with the slicer complaining?
At the moment, both--my first print completely failed. After cleaning, my second attempt, with models I repaired is going now. I'll have more information in a few hours/tomorrow/later today.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

FWIW, I'm having no issues so far with slicing or printing with Chitubox.

(Though I'm going to have problems printing very soon if I don't replace the magnetic sticker for my removable build plate which is starting to peel off of the main build plate.)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
FWIW, I'm having no issues so far with slicing or printing with Chitubox.

(Though I'm going to have problems printing very soon if I don't replace the magnetic sticker for my removable build plate which is starting to peel off of the main build plate.)
Well, my 2nd print was . . . mostly a failure. The two unrepaired guns failed to print, and the two repaired guns, only one printed, all four had the same point of failure--the pre-supports. They simply weren't strong enough for the process.

The two cars I repaired--One had bed-adhesion issues (I'm becoming an anti-fan of Wham-Bam's magnetic build plate--If I don't rough up its surface every print, I have adhesion issues) but the other, at first glance, looks good.

ETA 3rd print will be tomorrow. I'll be filtering my Alcohol for the rest of today. It's a long process to filter 4 liters of IPA.

The Spark 014 printed just fine.
The Kodiak 032 had bed adhesion issues, but, seems to have printed, otherwise, fine. So, mostly a success, 3 of 4 Energy A 003 failed to print--both unrepaired failed and one repaired failed all at the same point: the support.
[/ETA]

[ETA 2]Okay, all 4 guns failed to print effectively. The supports were not sufficient to keep the gun stable during printing. I'll be adding my own suppors from Lychee the next time I print and see how that works out. The car supports seemed pretty good though.[/ETA2]

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 03-07-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

3rd print was more successful--having issues with the pre-supports on vehicle tires, but other than that the pre-supports seem okay for anything that isn't a stand-alone weapon. When I resupported Energy A 003, it came out fine. But, something else, I ran a pre-supported turret and supported one myself, and the pre-supported one came out with all four "feet" but they were all slightly warped. My supported on, one of the supports missed and it only got three feet, but they were all correctly made, other than that.

I've hollowed out the Spark 014, and am trying it at double scale, for GURPS figures. Because that would, otherwise, be a lot of resin!

ETA
The Kodiak, from before, had bed-adhesion issues, and I finally noticed that part of one of the tires didn't form properly, but it's very minor. I didn't notice until I was getting it back from Bobb and my finger found the spot.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:03 PM   #7
Worldwalker

What printer and resin are you using?

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening to you. Each of those files has been printed by the sculptor, the supporter, me, and possibly Steve. Multiple times, in my case; my desk looks like a parking lot. So whatever's going on, it's not universal. (as any technician can tell you, that makes any problem harder to find)

Also, could you post a picture of on or two of the failed prints?

This is definitely rather odd. For the early (before supporting) tests I just threw them on the build plate at a 45 degree angle and Chitubox Pro auto-supports and they printed fine for me. So there is some difference in our setups that I have to nail down.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

I'm running an Anycubic Photon M3. I'm using Anycubic ECO UV Resin Grey. The only changes I've made to that is my Normal Exposure time is 3.25 seconds and my bottom exposure is 15 seconds (because at 23 seconds it was like chipping concrete off).

In this picture, the two guns, the one of the left was printed with the provided supports. And the one on the right was printed with supports I added from Lychee. (I despise Chitubox, 100% of my Chitubox prints failed, compared to 50% with the awful Anycubic slicer program--Lychee has been so much better, even though it's still in beta.) And, to be clear--the other three guns I tried printing with the original supports failed due to the supports not being strong enough.

The bottom part, the turret on the left was the one I put in at a 30° angle with supports (and didn't double-check the fourth foot). But the one on the right is the one with the pre-generated supports. You can't see it as clearly, but the feet are very thin and warped, and the bottom isn't flat.

[ETA]
I've printed hundreds of models with those settings and have had very few failures. I've had more failures from these models than I have had, previously.
[/ETA]

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 03-08-2023 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #9
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Let me make sure everyone understands:

The models--the actual vehicles and the accessories are not having a problem. The issues I'm having are with the pre-engineered supports. And, so Worldwalker doesn't have to say this to me, and so everyone who isn't familiar with resin 3d printing is aware:

Supports are more art than science.

That being said, I think the pre-engineered accessory supports are very flimsy and light.

These are the two supported version of the gun. The one on the right (fully red) is the pre-engineered supports that were provided. One of four of those printed, and the one that did was horribly warped.

The one on the left is the supports Lychee created, and it printed perfectly.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
Worldwalker

Okay ... now I know what the problem is. I'll get on this. The short version: somehow the wrong file got in there.