Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
Tinman

Default [MH] Anti-Psi

On the side-bar in MH 1 it says:
"The various anti-psi advantages are linked to recessive genes, and show up in about 1/6 of the population." & "The GM should assign anti-psi to NPCs as needed. For a random determination, roll 1d."

My question is does this apply to monsters, natural creatures, cryptids as well as humans or only to humans?

Last edited by Tinman; 01-20-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #2
tg_ambro

Default Re: [MH] Anti-Psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
"The various anti-psi advantages are linked to recessive genes, and show up in about 1/6 of the population." & "The GM should assign anti-psi to NPCs as needed. For a random determination, roll 1d."

My question is does this apply to:
Quote:
Monsters?
For formerly human monsters, why not add psi powers of any sort? Fiction already has literal psi vampires (it pains me to use him as an example, but Eward Cullen certainly seems like a Psi, and Bella an Anti-Psi). I would caution though, adding psi powers (or any extra powers, really) to MH monsters may prove to be a little unbalancing. I introduced a ritual magician vampire into the game, and he's become one of the story's primary antigonists.

The primary problem I see with Anti-Psi for monsters is that it hoses the psi one-sixth of the time, all the time. Sure the psi took that as an inherent weakness of his power, but I think that, stylistically speaking, Anti-Psi should be limited to rogues and non-evil humans that still are obstacles. Tossing on heaps of resistances seems like a way to cheese off the psi player.

Quote:
Natural Creatures?
Well, humans share genetic code with other animals, so why not? On the other hand, the idea of a telekinetic dog (if they have the capacity for Anti-Psi, why not regular psi?) strikes me as inherently comical.

Quote:
Cryptids?
Same for the above, really.

I'm speaking about my opinions, and I think that's where this question lands, ultimately; GMs should decide if Anti-Psi dogs, cats, albino 'gators, or whatever are a feature of the setting.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!

Last edited by tg_ambro; 01-20-2012 at 03:16 AM.
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post

My question is does this apply to monsters, natural creatures, cryptids as well as humans or only to humans?
GMs option surely. But SF versions of psi powers tend to make them manifestations of higher brain functions, so that would be no for animals and non-sapient monsters. More traditional presentations of psi-like powers base them on the soul, so that would still be no for animals, and soulless (i.e most) monsters.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman
Yes for monsters, and presumably cryptids, by extension. Natural creatures would be a GM call, I suppose, although it doesn't seem to fit the setting too well, IMO.

As per the text of Power Modifier: Psionic, on p45: "Anti-psi is a group of advantages...; these traits are found both in monsters and in the general public".
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
GMs option surely. But SF versions of psi powers tend to make them manifestations of higher brain functions, so that would be no for animals and non-sapient monsters. More traditional presentations of psi-like powers base them on the soul, so that would still be no for animals, and soulless (i.e most) monsters.
Whereas fantasy representations (e.g. DF) associate psi with Elder Things, etc. If you wanted to bring such into MH, associating psi likewise is a definite option. In which case, psi would indicate such association (with definite implications for PCs/Allies with psi) and would not need to be limited to those with higher brain functions and/or souls.

Different takes on the same phenomena. Potential for fun with either, depending on tastes. Neat, eh?

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
PK

This one is 100% up to the GM. In essence, Anti-Psi is another simple way to make life more challenging for psis. If the psi casually Mind Controlled his way through the last two vampire encounters, then it definitely makes sense to give the next one Psi Static. As long as the GM is being fair about it, and there are still plenty of monsters in each fight that can be affected by psionics, the psi shouldn't have much to complain about. (E.g., even if the master vamp is immune to Mind Control, the telepath could still take over the brains of his minions and turn them against the master -- the psionics are still useful, and that's what matters.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
PseudoFenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
... then it definitely makes sense to give the next one Psi Static.
Just be sure to give the occasional shopkeeper or bystander Psi Static as well even if it wont really cause any worthwhile hindrance from doing so. This makes it seem more like bad luck when the psi runs into something dangerous who is also an anti-psi as you can clearly see regular joes having the trait too. Otherwise it'll end up looking more like specific fights are being tagged as 'No Psi fights' and flagging anyone with Psi Static as being important.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Well, humans share genetic code with other animals, so why not? On the other hand, the idea of a telekinetic dog (if they have the capacity for Anti-Psi, why not regular psi?) strikes me as inherently comical.
I cant recall the name of it but I read a book a long time ago that had guard dogs with anti psi. Everyone could teleport and your power was not based on your higher brain function but on its mass.
One of the key characters was born handicapped and could not teleport so had the dog for defense.
Teleporters could teleport part of you as a lethal attack.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I cant recall the name of it but I read a book a long time ago that had guard dogs with anti psi. Everyone could teleport and your power was not based on your higher brain function but on its mass.
One of the key characters was born handicapped and could not teleport so had the dog for defense.
Teleporters could teleport part of you as a lethal attack.
I think this was The Witling by Vernor Vinge
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I think this was The Witling by Vernor Vinge
Probably is. The plot is about right. The timing is close though it means my school library got it almost right away.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote