Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Jackalope

Default Lack of FAQ

I followed the FAQ link and there are 3 'questions' and answers. Is there another FAQ for Munchkin Quest?

Q: Are Munchkin and Munchkin Quest the same game / compatible?
Q: When was it released?
Q: Does playing Munchkin Quest prevent bird flu?

While these 3 questions are funny (I guess) they really don't help much in playing the game. Are there any plans to populate the FAQ with real information?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Lack of FAQ

Yes, once we know which questions are frequently asked.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
UnknownMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Yes, once we know which questions are frequently asked.
You can add "Is there another FAQ for Munchkin Quest?"
to the FAQ. ANSWER: no
Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Quaff_fu

#4: Searching d6 or d10?

Pat

Edit: And I do want to know if it prevents swine flu.

Last edited by Quaff_fu; 06-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaff_fu View Post
#4: Searching d6 or d10?
Seconded..
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Here's how I would write that question:

Q. What's the d10 for?
A. Classes have "d10 Powers." That's what it's for.

Q. But don't you use it for [some other thing]?
A. Nope. Just d10 Powers.

Q. Are you sure?
A. Very.

Q. *sulk*
A. Next!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
RevBob

You can spin it in front of you when it's not otherwise in use, for absolutely no benefit.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Jackalope

Looks like the D10 or D6 is a perfect example. I thought (and still do) that it was 2d6 since it's 11+ but cards can give you that in bonus so its possible it is D10 and since it does not say it anywhere in the rules that I see, at least on Page 7 where SEARCHING is, that seems like a GREAT candidate for a FAQ.

Looking through the Forums I actually see a LOT of good questions. If you guys need another employee I'd be happy to get on board with Steve Jackson Games and help you out finding good FAQ questions cause there seems to be a LOT of them posted here by the gamers. Just let me know what the starting pay is and benefits and I'll let you know if I am ready to leave my current job.

It would be really helpful for a new customer to SJ games buying this $35 game to be able to have resources available to him/her that you say we will have available to us on the front of the instruction booklet.

"Any other disputes should be settled by loud arguments, with the owner of the game having the last word. Or you could check for more info at www.munchkinquest.com...unless it's more fun to argue".

I really would prefer to check out www.munchkinquest.com but really don't find it helpful if Munchkin Quest prevents bird flu honestly. Or when it was created. The single question that might be helpful for someone new is if the card game and the board game are compatible. One out of three questions being helpful isn't really that good of a benchmark.

Maybe add the D10 question and go up to 50% of the questions being decent and 25% of them being really useful. And actually if you are only going to have 2 out of the 4 questions in the FAQ being of any help at all maybe you should add the:

"Is there another FAQ for Munchkin Quest?"
ANSWER: no

and move up to a impressive 3 out of 5 questions being decent but still only the d10 being really really useful question.

..but as sad as it is...it would actually IMPROVE your FAQ as it stands now.

Last edited by Jackalope; 06-19-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
Jackalope

As a side note. I find it funny (not really haha but I think you'll understand) there is a sticky called "A Note About Attitude" way back on 1-21-2009.

The (not so) funny parts are to me are:

We're working on an update to the FAQ to add some of the issues that have been frequently discussed on the forums then on this thread you say Yes, once we know which questions are frequently asked. . So apparently way back in January you knew of some questions that were frequently asked but now you don't?

The last thing we want to do is drive away new players! You are kind of doing that by posting things like the Yes, once we know which questions are frequently asked., seems (to me) kind of snippy and short. Especially since you did know of questions 5 months ago and still have not updated them at all.

Granted I can flip through the pages of threads and read them. For a new player it might be nice to consolidate this into what is known commonly as a FAQ with the questions you at least knew back on 1-21-2009.

I'd throw my new Munchkin set in the Dumpster and discourage everyone I knew from ever playing the game again.

You know what? this MIGHT be the best idea that I've seen you post so far!! Except I'd just sell it on Ebay and recoup what money I can first. Maybe you should read your own post again? or simply UPDATE the FAQ?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

The sticky note about attitude is a word-for-word copy of the same note applied to the Munchkin card game forum, which had a major revision of the FAQ in process. Should Andrew have edited a bit after copying it here? Yes. Does that excuse your application of a bad attitude to your post? No. I suggest that you rein in your attitude and play nice with others, especially the moderators, who are working their butts off (and me on a volunteer basis, to boot) to facilitate things. We can certainly offer you ways too cool your heels if you will not do it voluntarily.

As for the FAQ, Andrew's answer was honest, not flip or snippy. Many of the questions asked about Quest are spread about, and neither he nor I have seen one specific question get asked on a near daily basis, either here or while the game is being played. I will agree that the most commonly asked question at this point is the search table issue, and it's sad that it is, but it will probably be the feature of the FAQ when we find time to update it.

Now, as for your incredibly wrong statement concerning the rules not explaining what die to use for searching: If you'd do a search of this very forum, rather than take a dump all over Andrew, you'd see that the question has been answered here in a very clear and authoritative manner.
MiB #1029
Closed Thread