Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #41
David Johnston2

Default Re: Sexual Abilities

I toyed with a magical style that would cast body and mind control spells by having sex with the target with the spells having a longer base duration to compensate for what it took to cast them. Abandoned the idea as something that my available players would be too uncomfortable with.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #42
Racer

A real life example for a basis of an ability is that of a friend :
After climax she experiences brief visions or has moments of insight - often nothing what so ever to do with sex . One gave her the main character's background in the book she was writing & states she would never have thought of it normally .
Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #43
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Yeah, but Aura is a +80% Enhancement. Coupling it with Blood Agent and the required Melee Attack, means it's a net +10% (for those of you doing it without using multiplicative modifiers). So, I'm still not buying it.
Buying what? The ability because it costs more than a baseline Affliction which can be shot at range?

Quote:
But, in that case, you don't need Aura at all. Taking Triggered Delay (Climax) for +50% would work much better.
If I'm imagining right, you are envisioning they take an attack maneuver to hit their victim before sex starts? That way if they take 'Takes Extra Time' or 'Requires Immediate Preparation', the maneuvers required for that prep can precede coitus and not interfere with it?

In cases where you are controlling the circumstances of the encounter I agree this would be a lot more useful. The disadvantage compared to an 'Aura' is that it does require the pre-coital prep opportunity, so you couldn't use it if you didn't have that control over the encounter.

"Trigger" does sound pretty powerfully flexible. If I had something like "Trigger: after seven nights sleep" on Affliction: Heart Attack (Melee Attack, Contact Agent) then I could shake someone's hand and they could drop dead a week later, when I've taken a plane ride to another continent. I'd be interested in seeing someone approach a more detailed breakdown of pricing variations within that enhancement.

I think that was in 3E. There's a whole section in Powers about Turning Abilities Off and On (pg 153-157). The relevant section is on pg 155, unsurprisingly, in a section labeled "Unconsciousness." Let's just say, it's a lot more complex than just that.
[/quote]
It's a place to start looking for sure. I can't quite remember whatever examples had me thinking about this, might've been FAQ or a thread.

Quote:
My interpretation of the rules: Yes. If you're not flying, you can't begin to initiate Healing. You must be flying the entire time of your Takes Extra Time.
So in the case of TET on a Triggered Delay, the actual "prep" and "attack" would be during foreplay, giving more Maneuver freedom subsequently.

Quote:
During a ready maneuver, you can be casting a spell, moving around and doing various things, so, yeah.
You take Concentrate maneuvers to cast spells, are you referring to a mage w/ Compartmentalized Mind (bonus Concentrate no matter what your root maneuver is) taking a Ready?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #44
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Buying what? The ability because it costs more than a baseline Affliction which can be shot at range?
Taking Melee Attack: Reach C solves that problem by reducing the cost of the affliction. Taking Melee Attack + Aura raises the cost of the affliction.

Quote:
If I'm imagining right, you are envisioning they take an attack maneuver to hit their victim before sex starts? That way if they take 'Takes Extra Time' or 'Requires Immediate Preparation', the maneuvers required for that prep can precede coitus and not interfere with it?
No. If you're going to stick to the mechanics, then sex is the attack maneuver. The sex is what you're doing and it causes the affliction. It's not "I'm having sex and now I'm activating this power." Maneuvering a vehicle is a move action (Campaigns, pg 467). Just like an attack maneuver doesn't mean you have to swing the sword or pull a trigger, it can just be pressing a button to fire phasers. Therefore, sex can be a ready, concentrate, move, move and attack, all-out-attack or just attack maneuver. (Use your imagination for some of the maneuvers, it's a fun thought experiment.)

The ready maneuvers are some of the coitus. It just means that you can't . . . erm . . . be too quick about it. So 10 levels of Takes Extra Time would be 17 minutes of sex. I'll buy that for a dollar!

Quote:
In cases where you are controlling the circumstances of the encounter I agree this would be a lot more useful. The disadvantage compared to an 'Aura' is that it does require the pre-coital prep opportunity, so you couldn't use it if you didn't have that control over the encounter.
No, you absolutely could use a non-aura ability if you're not in control. It may be more difficult, but it's not exclusionary. But, the Blood Agent + Melee Attack + Aura means you could stick a finger in someone's nose (that's a heck of a called shot) with the power active and it affects them.

Personally, I don't usually use the Trigger.

Quote:
"Trigger" does sound pretty powerfully flexible. If I had something like "Trigger: after seven nights sleep" on Affliction: Heart Attack (Melee Attack, Contact Agent) then I could shake someone's hand and they could drop dead a week later, when I've taken a plane ride to another continent. I'd be interested in seeing someone approach a more detailed breakdown of pricing variations within that enhancement.
Yes, that is exactly what you can do with it. I've had villains that give victims 20d cr ex [5d] one-shot AOE attacks that they're not protected from. With Triggers like "When you go into a hospital," or "When you enter an elementary school."

Quote:
So in the case of TET on a Triggered Delay, the actual "prep" and "attack" would be during foreplay, giving more Maneuver freedom subsequently.
Could be, but that's not terribly relevant. It could also be the actual sex act.

Quote:
You take Concentrate maneuvers to cast spells, are you referring to a mage w/ Compartmentalized Mind (bonus Concentrate no matter what your root maneuver is) taking a Ready?
Concentrate, Ready, different name, same effect for what we're talking about. You're taking a specific maneuver to do something on a later turn. The semantics are irrelevant. You have to ready a sword, and you can take a step. As was discussed earlier, doing a Ready doesn't mean you're giving up being able to do everything else. As long as your focused on sex the entire time of your Takes Extra Time you're doing it right.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #45
naloth

Quote:
No. If you're going to stick to the mechanics, then sex is the attack maneuver. The sex is what you're doing and it causes the affliction. It's not "I'm having sex and now I'm activating this power." Maneuvering a vehicle is a move action (Campaigns, pg 467). Just like an attack maneuver doesn't mean you have to swing the sword or pull a trigger, it can just be pressing a button to fire phasers. Therefore, sex can be a ready, concentrate, move, move and attack, all-out-attack or just attack maneuver. (Use your imagination for some of the maneuvers, it's a fun thought experiment.)
When you're driving a vehicle any maneuver you take for driving has a direct impact on what the vehicles does. You're only doing one thing, only taking one maneuver, and only having one effect.

Shooting someone with a gun (using an attack power) while you are driving, conversely, will be two different actions that you're trying to do at once. You would have to take penalties or adjust your maneuver selection ("here, you take the wheel" "I let go of the wheel and shoot instead") accordingly.

Sex while using a power that you can only use during sex is two actions just like the latter example. You're trying to do 2 different things that do not relate to each other. The fact that you took a limitation that you can only do one while doing the other doesn't make you better at doing 2 things at once.

Last edited by naloth; 02-20-2019 at 02:56 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #46
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
When you're driving a vehicle any maneuver you take for driving has a direct impact on what the vehicles does. You're only doing one thing, only taking one maneuver, and only having one effect.

Shooting someone with a gun (using an attack power) while you are driving, conversely, will be two different actions that you're trying to do at once. You would have to take penalties or adjust your maneuver selection ("here, you take the wheel" "I let go of the wheel and shoot instead") accordingly.

Sex while using a power that you can only use during sex is two actions just like the latter example. You're trying to do 2 different things that do not relate to each other. The fact that you took a limitation that you can only do one while doing the other doesn't make you better at doing 2 things at once.
I completely disagree. I see no reason why "Sex" cannot be the attack maneuver. Riding a horse is a move maneuver, as is piloting a hang-glider, both of which are far more involved than driving.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #47
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post

Sex is a minutes long activity and there's nothing wrong with pausing for a second in the middle of it to activate your power.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #48
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
A real life example for a basis of an ability is that of a friend :
After climax she experiences brief visions or has moments of insight - often nothing what so ever to do with sex . One gave her the main character's background in the book she was writing & states she would never have thought of it normally .
Huh. Interesting. Probably something to do with the subconscious being able to make connections that are difficult for the conscious mind to reach, but that's an unusual way to access it. In a lot of games, would probably be an odd psi power, like Psychic Hunches with 'Only After Sex' as a limitation.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #49
naloth

Quote:
I completely disagree. I see no reason why "Sex" cannot be the attack maneuver. Riding a horse is a move maneuver, as is piloting a hang-glider, both of which are far more involved than driving.
I didn't say what type of maneuver sex would be, or even that it would be a specific maneuver. My point was that Sex is already an activity all of its own just like riding and piloting are activities. Doing something in addition to any activity would be coordinating multiple activities either by switching between them as necessary or taking penalties to do both at once. Either way, most of these activities aren't resolved in combat time either. Limitations that require you to take a specific maneuver (all-out only), aren't valid if your ability is already limited in such a way that you either couldn't take the maneuver or couldn't use it in combat. "Only during sex" prevents the former and assumes the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Sex is a minutes long activity and there's nothing wrong with pausing for a second in the middle of it to activate your power.
Yes, sure, or even letting your partner do the work for a bit.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #50
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Huh. Interesting. Probably something to do with the subconscious being able to make connections that are difficult for the conscious mind to reach, but that's an unusual way to access it. In a lot of games, would probably be an odd psi power, like Psychic Hunches with 'Only After Sex' as a limitation.
I suppose with all those neurons firing at once , odd & extraordinary things are more likely to happen . I've had a couple of girls faint after climax , so perhaps similar to trance like visions real life mystics experience ?
Think it's in Latin/Italian (I'm half Italian) orgasms are referred to as 'little deaths' & if something could bring you 'closer to heaven' , then I'd think that's one of them !

[EDIT] It's French - La petite mort - I wonder if the phrase has Latin roots originally ?

Last edited by Racer; 02-21-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sexual intercourse, succubus