Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Kelly Pedersen

Default Turning off Afflictions early

Reading through the stuff in Powers on Afflictions, I've noticed that they normally can't be turned off early by the person applying the Affliction. This seems like an oversight to me, since there are cases where you'd want to end an Affliction early. Therefore, the following enhancements:
Dispelable: This enhancement lets you "shut off" the effects of an Affliction, an Innate Attack with Cyclic or Persistent, or Obscure with Ranged. If shutting off the ability is a free action, this is worth +30%. It is worth +25% if shutting off the ability requires a Ready action, and it is worth 20% if shutting off the ability requires a Concentrate action.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
HeroPenguin

Default Re: Turning off Afflictions early

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly_pedersen
Reading through the stuff in Powers on Afflictions, I've noticed that they normally can't be turned off early by the person applying the Affliction. This seems like an oversight to me, since there are cases where you'd want to end an Affliction early. Therefore, the following enhancements:
Dispelable: This enhancement lets you "shut off" the effects of an Affliction, an Innate Attack with Cyclic or Persistent, or Obscure with Ranged. If shutting off the ability is a free action, this is worth +30%. It is worth +25% if shutting off the ability requires a Ready action, and it is worth 20% if shutting off the ability requires a Concentrate action.
I like it, though I wouldn't make Concentrate and Ready different values. IIRC they're interchangeable most other times. You may consider however adding more if dispelling the ability requires a ROLL. Say, +20% if you must roll under 15, +15% if under 12, +10% if under 9, +5% if under 6%. Alternately, +20% if you just have to roll under your own attribute (normally IQ, I beleive, but this will be the same as the attribute you normally use for the advantage, as changed by "Based on Different Attribute"). Just IMO.
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Having a "roll required" level isn't a bad idea. Thanks!
I put Concentrate as a smaller enhancement than Ready since Concentration can be interrupted. Admittedly, it's not that big of a different if it's only 1 turn of each, but if you put Takes Extra Time on this enhancement, to represent dispelling taking a few seconds, the difference becomes important.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
transmetahuman

When I was thinking about this, I considered making it a +0% enhancement. You're giving it a Terminal Condition, insofar as your victims (and/or their friends) can try to *make* you turn it off, once they know (or assume) you can. The drawback might not quite balance the benefit, but I don't think I'd make the enhancement quite as high as you have.

Of course, I was thinking more about long-term or permanent effects (getting turned into a frog, etc.), more than the kind that just last for a minute or three; for a short-term ability, the benefits probably outweigh the drawbacks even more. So, maybe around +10% to +20%?

I didn't think at all about what kind of action it would take - good idea.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancellation, early termination