Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #21
David Johnston2

Default Re: Control vs Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Pressure on your body (as per, say, a harness supporting your weight) is felt with the sense of touch. One says they "feel" the harness holding them up - you don't have to grope at it to feel it.
Yes but you wouldn't feel skin texture just pressure.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #22
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Variable Enhancements appeared in Power Ups 2. They cost 10x the amount, so a +100% Variable Enhancement allows you to use the ability with any 10% enhancement when you activate it.

Alternative Enhancements (same book) are a better buy for the most part.
Are you sure they're in Power Ups 2? I looked, and haven't found either.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 AM   #23
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Are you sure they're in Power Ups 2? I looked, and haven't found either.
They're in Power-Ups 4: Enhancements.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 AM   #24
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Eh, I think for such a setting, you could throw an object at chest height without a problem. You'd just use the Slam damage it would have at Move = Control level instead of some sort of ST score. That's about as high as anybody really launched rocks or water in Avatar, anyway.
That would still be better modeled as an innate attack or TK. Control cannot lift Earth into the air, though it can cause air to move in the air. You could use control with range to roll a rock on the ground - think "bowling for mooks!"

Control could model an earthquake effect that emanates from you without you getting hurt, though again a better way of doing that is an IA.

Sorry, I haven't seen much Airbender, but I've seen a lot of other anime.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #25
Bruno

Can TK move air? It works like invisible hands, and air's pretty resistant to being shoved around with my hands - not to produce any sort of dramatic breeze anyways, even with a TK-Fan perk.

I'm pretty sure TK isn't what you want for the equivalent of a Shape Fire spell effect either, for that I'd still go straight to Control. Control would also allow you to go to both intensifying fire and dampening it down, without having to manipulate fuel or smothering agents.

Of course, I also haven't seen Avatar so no clue what sort of stunts they do. It's quite possible that Benders don't do the sort of stunts that need Control, but other elementalists do.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #26
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Can TK move air? It works like invisible hands, and air's pretty resistant to being shoved around with my hands - not to produce any sort of dramatic breeze anyways, even with a TK-Fan perk.
That's why I think Airbending should be TK with NFM: instead of thinking of it as TKing the air, think of it as using the air to TK other things.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #27
theotherscott

Again, I feel I must ask, can you apply No Fine Manipulators to TK? I see nothing in RAW for it. I assume it would be valued at around -20% or -10% since Attraction/Repulsion is -30%.
theotherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #28
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherscott View Post
Again, I feel I must ask, can you apply No Fine Manipulators to TK? I see nothing in RAW for it. I assume it would be valued at around -20% or -10% since Attraction/Repulsion is -30%.
You're right, it's not in any RAW I know. I didn't answer the first time because I have no particular knowledge on how it would be done. My intuition tells me that two hands can do everything that two hands can do, and Telekinesis can do everything that two hands can do, so -40% is reasonable. Also, NFM on ST gives cheaper HP, and NFM on DX gives cheaper Basic Speed, neither of which TK can take advantage of. Finally, how often do you pick things up with TK that you wouldn't be able to pick up without fingers? I suspect -40% might even be an underestimation. NFM makes TK much worse at grappling and lifting, and it's already bad compared to Innate Attack for punching.

I frequently assume that printed limitations are stingy, which is why I'm not comparing it to Attraction/Repulsion. Even that limitation, though, doesn't prevent me from grabbing a key off an unwary guard's belt or hurling a dagger at an enemy's head, neither of which NFM TK would really be well-suited for.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
theotherscott

TK with NFM for airbending is a great idea, and I agree that several of the limitations in Powers seem rather stingy. Powers states that Attraction/Repulsion cannot be used to strike blows, manipulate objects, or hold someone in place; which is harsh for only -30%.

In the interest of keeping things close to RAW though, I'd probably stat TK limitations like this:

Cannot grapple or strike -10%
No fine manipulation -20%
Attraction/Repulsion -30%

I tend to overpower TK a little anyway by not taking the "pair of hands" thing too seriously (as long as a PC manipulates only one object, I don't care how the hands are shaped), so this might be fair for a player only interested in lifting and moving with TK.
theotherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherscott View Post
...Attraction/Repulsion cannot be used to ... manipulate objects...
What in the world? You mean I can spend 70 points on 20 levels of Attraction/Repulsion TK, and when the time comes for me to dramatically clear the area around me by shoving things with overwhelming force (one at a time, of course, unless I buy Area Effect), I can't even knock over a bookshelf? Not even a lamp? That's it, I'm pretending that whole paragraph in Powers doesn't exist.

Tags
avatar the last airbender, telekinesis