Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #61
hcobb

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Maybe the solution, rather than trying to create another version of the Revival spell, would be to have Restoration only work on the "mostly dead" and not the "all dead".
I've got the bleeding out rules right here:

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Death
Old 12-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #62
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I've got the bleeding out rules right here:

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Death
Yes, that would certainly meet the definition of "mostly dead".

I'm still looking for feedback on the actual Channeling powers, though.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #63
warhorse11h

Your channeling portfolio appears to be well thought and organized. You obviously spent a great deal of time on it. I like the idea behind it and I don't see anything wrong with it.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:44 AM   #64
TippetsTX

Here's a possible revision to the Restoration power...

Tier 5 - Restoration (2500 XP):
Once per month, the character can use this Power to restore any creature back to full health. Like the Revival spell, it cures all minor wounds, diseases, and poisons, but unlike Revival, the creature cannot actually be dead… unconscious and dying, yes, but not completely dead (at the GM’s discretion, they might also establish an effective window when the Power can be used. Something like “before the last light of the setting sun disappears into the night”).

This Power can also be used to reverse the effects of magical aging and the corruption that results from exposure to necromantic forces.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #65
TippetsTX

Do my XP costs seem appropriate? What about the uses per day? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-21-2018 at 07:14 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #66
warhorse11h

Quote:
So anyway, moving on...

Tier 2 - Heal/Fortify (1000 XP):
For each tier from the Channeling Portfolio that the character has, they may bestow 1 point of ST (or 2 points if it is from fatigue loss) per day to one or more characters including himself. For example, the channeler will initially have 2 ST to grant each day but if they advance all the way to the 5th tier they will be able to distribute up to 5 ST. The healing energy will cure ST already lost to disease and poison, but it will not cure the disease nor make a poison go away. As with Bestow Grace, if the ST is given to another player, the giver must be physically touching them.

There is also synergy between this Power and the talents for Physicker and Master Physicker. A character with these talents will have a greater understanding of the healing arts and will therefore be able to more effectively channel the energies from this Power to the wounds being treated. As a result, a character with Physicker has access to double the amount listed above for ST lost to injury only, not fatigue, and a Master Physicker will have triple.
The way I read it, a character with this portfolio can heal 2-5 points per day to the wounded. If he couples that with physicker his range would be 4-10 depending on which tier he has obtained. With master physicker, his range would be 6-15.

I have one question, is this in addition to the physicker/master physicker's normal healing techniques or is that included in the healing he is doing? Either way, I think it is workable. But what do I know, I thought the healing spell was a good idea.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #67
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
I have one question, is this in addition to the physicker/master physicker's normal healing techniques or is that included in the healing he is doing? Either way, I think it is workable. But what do I know, I thought the healing spell was a good idea.
Interesting you should bring this up. I'm struggling with this same question on my Mystic Monk portfolio...should bonuses stack with the abilities granted by the UC talents that have synergy with Powers or should they replace those bonuses instead?

In the case of the healing Power, however, because the source is external to the character, I think manual physicker healing should still be available separate from the use of positive energy. The next question then is, would that give the player access to too much healing? Maybe, but only after spending a lot of XP to unlock the higher tiers in the portfolio.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-30-2018 at 07:02 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #68
warhorse11h

x
Quote:
Interesting you should bring this up. I'm struggling with this same question on my Mystic Monk portfolio...should bonuses stack with the abilities granted by the UC talents that have synergy with Powers or should they replace those bonuses instead?

In the case of the healing Power, however, because the source is external to the character, I think manual physicker healing should still be available separate from the use of positive energy. The next question then is, would that give the player access to too much healing? Maybe, but only after spending a lot of XP to unlock the higher tiers in the portfolio.
I think it would depend on circumstances. If your campaign has only occasional combats, it might be excessive, but in a deadly enough dungeon, your channeling character will probably have to ration his healing ability for the most seriously wounded in order to make it last as long as possible.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #69
TippetsTX

Quote:
I think it would depend on circumstances. If your campaign has only occasional combats, it might be excessive, but in a deadly enough dungeon, your channeling character will probably have to ration his healing ability for the most seriously wounded in order to make it last as long as possible.
That was my thinking as well.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 PM   #70
TippetsTX

Quote:
I realize this is your thread but what are your thoughts about this idea of mine, in a completely different vein. I posted it some time ago, but never got any feedback from anyone. Please excuse the wall of text.
I remember reading this and I think it is worth discussion, but you may want to re-post to a new thread to avoid confusion. I'm getting ready to post another Power portfolio and I wouldn't want the topic that you want feedback on to get buried here.