Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #21
PK

Default Re: Physician Defaults?

If it helps any, here's what a certain upcoming supplement will have to say about Occultism:
Occultism is the study of folklore, legend, myth, and superstition – the fictions that mankind shares regarding the supernatural. A successful roll will tell you what people believe about any given monster – which doesn’t always line up with the truth! Still, this “shotgun” approach makes it a useful backup skill if you never studied up on a particular type of enemy.

Whenever you need to roll against Expert Skill (Psionics), Hidden Lore (any supernatural), Theology (any), or Thaumatology, for informational purposes, you may use Occultism instead. Your roll then takes the following additional modifiers:

Modifiers: No penalty for broad generalities or questions about cultural perceptions (“Do members of this religion believe in demons?”), -2 for concrete questions on a general topic (“Can demons drink alcohol?”), -4 for more focused questions (“What type of demon are we tracking?”), or -6 for specific questions (“What are Azabath’s particular weaknesses?”). If the roll is already penalized for dealing with an obscure topic, double that penalty.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
If it helps any, here's what a certain upcoming supplement will have to say about Occultism:
Occultism is the study of folklore, legend, myth, and superstition – the fictions that mankind shares regarding the supernatural. A successful roll will tell you what people believe about any given monster – which doesn’t always line up with the truth! Still, this “shotgun” approach makes it a useful backup skill if you never studied up on a particular type of enemy.

Whenever you need to roll against Expert Skill (Psionics), Hidden Lore (any supernatural), Theology (any), or Thaumatology, for informational purposes, you may use Occultism instead. Your roll then takes the following additional modifiers:

Modifiers: No penalty for broad generalities or questions about cultural perceptions (“Do members of this religion believe in demons?”), -2 for concrete questions on a general topic (“Can demons drink alcohol?”), -4 for more focused questions (“What type of demon are we tracking?”), or -6 for specific questions (“What are Azabath’s particular weaknesses?”). If the roll is already penalized for dealing with an obscure topic, double that penalty.

D00d you are such a tease!

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #23
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer
D00d you are such a tease!
In a totally helpful way, in this case :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #24
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
In a totally helpful way, in this case :)
But of course; still Evillleeee. :)

On Topic: My medic PC wanted to know if she can default her First Aid off her Physician and then raise her First Aid over her base Physician. Seems like that's RAW but I thought I'd ask just the same.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
Darekun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
On Topic: My medic PC wanted to know if she can default her First Aid off her Physician and then raise her First Aid over her base Physician. Seems like that's RAW but I thought I'd ask just the same.
Yes, in accordance with Improving Skills From Default on B173.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote