Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2020, 03:21 AM   #61
Anders

Default Re: New perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Hidden Blow Dart

This is just a 0d+1 pi- innate attack with No Signature +25%. You have a hidden and not powerful built in attack that you can get through security. It also doesn't have to be a blow dart but it's a common choice (just pick a different skill for use. For instance, it could be a low powered gun)

However, if you think you need to round the 0.75 pt up, add Can't Aim -20% and decrease No Signature to +20%. Still, I'd rule that this attack can't do appreciable damage without hitting the eyes or vitals so I think it's fair (otherwise it's not functionally different from pi damage).
The main use would be delivering poison.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:16 AM   #62
Anders

Pre-Buttkicking One-Liner

If you say a one-liner before a fight is about to start - and the GM thinks it's good enough - you get a +2 bonus on your first attack. However, only one person per team can get this bonus.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #63
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
add Can't Aim -20% and decrease No Signature to +20%
The closest I can find to this is taking 3 levels of Inaccurate for -15% to remove the Acc3 that Innate Attack comes built with.

This makes a single maneuver of aim worthless by itself but you'd still get +1/+2 after 2/3 seconds, so giving an additional limitation for an inability to do this DOES make sense, but I was wondering if there was a page number for assigning a value to it.

- - -

With guns/crossbows (not bows) there's also bracing bonus, but adapting that as Innate Attack modifiers would be pretty tricky. If you're capable of 1H wielding then it's just "wield 2H" (small nuisance) but if you're only capable of 2H then it's also "must be prone, can't step, gadget must rest on external object" (large nuisance). If I had to guess it might be something like +4% v +1% to buy Acc working these two ways.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #64
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The main use would be delivering poison.
True, totally forgot about that.

Quote:
Pre-Buttkicking One-Liner

If you say a one-liner before a fight is about to start - and the GM thinks it's good enough - you get a +2 bonus on your first attack. However, only one person per team can get this bonus.
I've played other systems which relied on trying to impress the GM for mechanical benefit, can't say I like it in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
The closest I can find to this is taking 3 levels of Inaccurate for -15% to remove the Acc3 that Innate Attack comes built with.

This makes a single maneuver of aim worthless by itself but you'd still get +1/+2 after 2/3 seconds, so giving an additional limitation for an inability to do this DOES make sense, but I was wondering if there was a page number for assigning a value to it.
Yep, -15% for Inaccurate, -5% Nuisance Effect for not being allowed to get Aim bonuses (and I use the T-Bone slight house rule* where every second of aiming gives a bonus). Calling it -20% "Can't Aim" seems like a good shortcut for attacks that don't have a good way to aim with or aren't exactly obvious how they'll come out .

*https://www.gamesdiner.com/rules-nug...pg-better-aim/
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #65
Plane

I had this one idea of making aiming mandatory on all ranged attacks, but if you didn't want to use an aim maneuver then you'd be obligated to use the 'free action' aiming from the On Target pyramid article.

In that case maybe Acc could be bought negative and we have a MoF on the mandatory aim rolls actually penalize your hit roll?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #66
Anders

Internalized Style Guidelines

You have internalized the style guideline for a given publication. This gives you a +2 to Writing skills when writing for that publication and a +1 reaction bonus when speaking to the editor. You must specialize by publication.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:48 AM   #67
Daigoro

Quote:
Internalized Style Guidelines

You have internalized the style guideline for a given publication. This gives you a +2 to Writing skills when writing for that publication and a +1 reaction bonus when speaking to the editor. You must specialize by publication.
We had a whole thread on writers' perks and quirks a few years ago. I'll see if I can dig up a link.

ETA:
Oh, that's awkward. I posted almost exactly the same perk in that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Perks
Style Master
You have internalised all the rules of a particular style guide, such as Strunk's Elements of Style or the Chicago Style Manual. Get a +2 reaction from your editor and the editorial process takes 10% less time.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 10-28-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #68
Plane

Dashing Dasher
When you are consciously (no help when sleep-running) sprinting at full move (pumping your arms a must) you can opt to make a HT roll.

Failure means no effect, you can try again next second for 1 FP. If that 1 FP drops you from 4 to 3, your ability is crippled until you get to 100% FP again.

Success makes you "potentially attractive" for 1 full minute. Note your margin of success.

When NPCs react to you, they must make a HT roll too, and if they fail (or succeed by less than your noted margin) they will react to you at +1.

This is Attractive [4] w/ -75% in limitations[INDENT]-5% while conscious
-30% "while moving at full move"
-10% only while using Basic (Ground) Move (requires moving under one's own power, not others, can't be swimming or flying)
(also need to be sprinting, so your Dash = 20% better, this the built-in 1/5 level of Enhanced Move everyone basically gets for free)
-10% "requires gestures" (can't be running while handcuffed)
-10% for requires HT roll
-10% for resistible
Could substitute Running skill for HT, the default is nasty but that would make sense for anyone w/ 2 points or more in it.

In that case I'd want it to be resisted with the running skill too but I don't know if you can force resistance roll to sub an attribute. Any examples of that?

Last edited by Plane; 10-28-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:59 AM   #69
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Oh, that's awkward. I posted almost exactly the same perk in that thread.
Great minds think alike.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #70
kirbwarrior

Entry Level Master
For jobs with no prerequisites, you don't have to make Monthly job rolls, you are assumed to succeed regardless of capabilities.

It's better than No Nuisance Rolls: [Job] but it only works for Poor and some Struggling jobs so I feel it balances out.

Create [Material] 0
You can create a tiny amount of solid or liquid material, up to 2oz for 2FP. For gas, 2FP will create a sphere with a radius of 4in. For energy, take Generator instead. If this material is especially useful and/or expensive, take Wealth or Unusual Background (or if the GM insists, use Creation Pool).

This is just Create at an effective 1/10th level with No Roll Required. I wouldn't allow further modifiers. If the player wants to create without spending FP, have them buy a full level. I also ignore the 10 second rules on Create and just solve problems with Wealth, Vow, Unusual Background, etc.

Built-In Sunglasses
You get a +1 to resist sense-based attacks and temporary damage that target vision, as per Protected Sense. The glasses will change in automatically with light or darkness, but you also can control if they are in or out. Further, you are allowed to buy one of an extra level of Appearance, Reputation, or Social Regard (Respected).

Sunglasses make you cool ;)

Trained Muscles
You get +1 to ST only in contests. This namely helps with certain forms of grappling and beats. The GM may allow this as a leveled trait, but more than two levels is likely unrealistic.

Striking ST is 5pts, Lifting 3pts, HP 2pts, meaning the part that deals with ST rolls is actually 0pts! Because that's absurd, having this cost a point seemed fine. The perk for +1 to BS for turn order made me think of this.

Careful Parries
When parrying heavy weapons, if a successful parry would cause the weapon to break, you can instead chose to fail the parry to save your weapon. This is especially valuable if you didn't realize the opponent's weapon exceeded your BL! (Note that I allow this for free for any signature gear)
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perks