Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-28-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
Archon378

Default What is the wandering monster?

I apologize ahead of time for what is probably a pretty stupid question. I recently got into Munchkin, started off getting Adventure Time Munchkin and both my friends and I are new to Munchkin. After a couple games one of us kicked down the door and we got a wandering monster card and because the monster has no stats whatsoever we don't know what to do with it. My questions are what do you do if you draw a wandering monster kicking down the door, and if you have a wandering monster in your hand what is the point to having it if there are no stats for it? I have read the instructions and looked up the instructions on the internet with the thought i might get a better explanation and i got the same thing the rule book says which didn't really help me.
Archon378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Bampop

Default Re: What is the wandering monster?

The Wandering Monster card is not itself a fightable Monster. On the card it instructs you to play it along with a Monster card from your hand when someone (including yourself if you're looking for more Levels and Treasures) is already fighting another Monster. Narratively, the Monster from your hand was wandering around and joined the combat to help the other Monster.

If you draw it Kicking Open the Door, you add it to your hand for future use.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Archon378

So correct me if I'm wrong it doesn't have it's own stats it only lets monster cards in your hand join the battle, if without the wandering monster card it wouldn't be able to join, for example there is a demon card someone drew kicking down the door but I want to add this undead monster I have to the fight so I use a wandering monster card to play the undead monster I have?
Archon378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Bampop

You've got it.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Shredhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon378 View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong it doesn't have it's own stats it only lets monster cards in your hand join the battle, if without the wandering monster card it wouldn't be able to join, for example there is a demon card someone drew kicking down the door but I want to add this undead monster I have to the fight so I use a wandering monster card to play the undead monster I have?
You are correct here, but I just want to point out that in most, all if I'm not mistaken, you can add undead to another undead without a wandering monster. In Adventure Time you can add Demons to other demons without wandering monster.

A lot of times cards will allow special rules as well. I don't want to throw out all the exceptions and confuse you, but make sure you pay attention to each card. One easy example, there's a lvl 10 demon monster in Adventure Time that lets you put him in combat without a WM (forget his name).
Shredhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Grimbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredhed View Post
You are correct here, but I just want to point out that in most, all if I'm not mistaken, you can add undead to another undead without a wandering monster. In Adventure Time you can add Demons to other demons without wandering monster.

A lot of times cards will allow special rules as well. I don't want to throw out all the exceptions and confuse you, but make sure you pay attention to each card. One easy example, there's a lvl 10 demon monster in Adventure Time that lets you put him in combat without a WM (forget his name).

I believe you're correct. You can always wander in an Undead to add to an Undead, at least in Munchkin and The Good, The Bad and The Munchkin, ( have no interest in Adventure Time, don't own the set, don't know the rules on that so I won't say on the situation with demons).

@Grimbriar on the Twitter

The Glimpse on XBL
Grimbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
Floroviedo

What do I do with the wandering monster card? I understand what the card itself can do but do I use it only once with one monster and discard it? Do I keep it up for the whole game and I am able to use this "power" whenever with whichever monsters I want? (If I can keep it up, it means that I might need to discard it if I have more cards in my hand than the maximum allowed). Do I "equipe" my character with it and leave it on the table in front of me and use it forever?
Floroviedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

It stays in your hand until you want to use it. You play it along with another monster. The Wandering Monster card is discarded when the combat is over.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster, wandering, wanderingmonster