Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Walrus

Default [Powers] Control+Create with Extended Duration and Reduced Time

Is it possible to enhance Control with Reduced Time to make Long Tasks faster?

And vice versa, is it possible to enhance Create with Extended Duration to make created matter last longer? Is it legal to enhance Create with Reduced Fatigue Cost?

And what are common Long Tasks duration?

The idea is to have a Cryokinesis Psionic (or Super). She is capable of creating ice "from water vapour in air" but in such quantities that it hardly qualifies for Environmental (imagine Storm or Iceman from X-Men). And she'd like to create ice figurines (yes, she has Artist (Sculpting)) and ice daggers (again, with Armoury (Melee Weapons)). And she doesn't like the idea of separate IA (like TK Bullet and Chill Factor perk from PP), she would like to create a bunch of icicles and throw them as Throwing Knife (something like failed Armoury roll just creates blunt ice baton, ordinary success creates Cheap Throwing Knife with (0.5) AD, success by 5+ creates ordinary one with 0.5 (AD) and critical success creates Fine Throwing Knife with AD 1).
Old 04-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Powers] Control+Create with Extended Duration and Reduced Time

Duration and area effect are specifically prohibited on Create.
You can get the ice dagger effect though by using the stability pool.
A few points in it should handle all the needs you described as there not very valuable objects she will be making.

For Control, it is an interesting idea and not really RAW but I think most GMs would let you use Reduced Time that way.
A RAW way to do it would be ATR or CM on a limit. Only for Long Tasks on shaping with Control. I would call that -80% and recommend you look at the noncombat and parallel processing enhancements as well.
This is probably cheaper way to go then Reduced Time on your Control but it depends on how many levels you have.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Gnomasz

Default Re: [Powers] Control+Create with Extended Duration and Reduced Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Is it possible to enhance Control with Reduced Time to make Long Tasks faster?
Probably not. I'd use Abilities Enhancing Skills (p. P162) and use the bonus to reduce Time Spent on Long Task (p. 346). And with this I assume that Long Tasks are appropriate even if Control is used, and I dont' think it's the case for crafting daggers (they're less than yard long, and 1st level of Control gives speed of 1 yard per second with given element, so I'd allow crafting a dagger in 1 second).

Quote:
And vice versa, is it possible to enhance Create with Extended Duration to make created matter last longer?
It's not RAW, but I'd say yes, if economics are irrelevant, i.e. (a)created substance has no market value, or (b)the character is so rich that she doesn't need money she could get with create and local and world economics won't fall because she just made tons of gold, or (c)the GM doesn't mind characters getting rich with Create (definitely true if Create Spells are available).

Quote:
Is it legal to enhance Create with Reduced Fatigue Cost?
I haven't read entire description of the advantage now, so I could have missed something, but I don't see anything that prohibits that. So I'd say it's legal.