Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #41
FireHorse

Default Re: Other than Spellcasting, what ELSE causes Fatigue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Children. Children cause fatigue.
I'll bet I could model that, mathematically. But I wouldn't. You have my sympathy. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Battle ought to be around three times as fatiguing as tunneling (have to move ones own body around, etc.) so charge one fatigue for every 60 turns of active combat.
So three minutes? Well, it's about 18 times longer than I could last, but if we assume Adventurers are young and healthy, that sounds plausible.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #42
JLV

Back in my younger days, we could fence for as much as 20 minutes straight, but we weren't burdened with armor and shields and our Epees were a lot lighter than a broadsword...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #43
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Back in my younger days, we could fence for as much as 20 minutes straight, but we weren't burdened with armor and shields and our Epees were a lot lighter than a broadsword...
Hey, me too: I took a course of fencing classes when I was about 16 or so. It wasn't a long course though, and I didn't pursue it, so it was little more than an introduction. (I never even got to the Épée, only the Foil.)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:32 AM   #44
Jeff Lord

"So three minutes?"

Five minutes, actually. The combat turn is five seconds long.
Jeff Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #45
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lord View Post
"So three minutes?"

Five minutes, actually. The combat turn is five seconds long.
°_°

Yes. Yes, it is. And I knew that, too.

Yet somehow, amazingly, I actually looked at "60 turns", thought "five seconds per turn"… and then, somehow, calculated: "three minutes".

I must've been even more sleep-deprived than I thought. I have napped since then, and now I am appalled and humiliated.

But I deny all responsibility, and blame Metrication. Somewhere in my head, "Time is Money" must have triggered, and then the difference between the decimalised British Pence and the old ones entered the equation, coupled with the tragic loss of the Shilling, all of which caused me to flip Twelves with Twenties. ;)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #46
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
°_°

Yes. Yes, it is. And I knew that, too.

Yet somehow, amazingly, I actually looked at "60 turns", thought "five seconds per turn"… and then, somehow, calculated: "three minutes".

I must've been even more sleep-deprived than I thought. I have napped since then, and now I am appalled and humiliated.

But I deny all responsibility, and blame Metrication. Somewhere in my head, "Time is Money" must have triggered, and then the difference between the decimalised British Pence and the old ones entered the equation, coupled with the tragic loss of the Shilling, all of which caused me to flip Twelves with Twenties. ;)
Don't feel bad about it -- I went off into some massive discourse on how GURPS and TFT combat related to one another a year or so ago, only to have someone mention; "GURPS turns are one second long." Which I totally knew before I even started posting the diatribe. My personal lesson learned? No more 2AM posting on technicalities...

°_° indeed...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #47
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
… No more 2AM posting on technicalities...

°_° indeed...
You want to know the worst part? I have a tablet (Nvidia Shield) sitting on my desk, positioned in front of and below my PC's monitor almost like a second, smaller screen, which I always keep opened to a scientific calculator and unit converter. (I do this because I seem to find myself playing with numbers and conversions quite a lot, and it's just faster to use the tablet than to fiddle with anything on the PC.)

So even if (60 ÷ 5) were some kind of complicated operation, there was this big glowing calculator sitting right there in front of me.

But instead: "Uhhh, well, 12 Pence to a Shilling, so 20 Turns to a Minute, right? Yup!" Shameful. ;)
Old 04-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #48
RVA_Grandpa

What ELSE causes Fatigue?

Apparently trying to do math at 2 AM.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #49
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
What ELSE causes Fatigue?

Apparently trying to do math at 2 AM.
Evidently. Who knew? They should put a warning label on it or something.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #50
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Seconded! Fatigue outside of spellcasting can be used as a story tool. Strict tracking of fatigue throughout a normal adventure would be dull.
Unless the tracking of Fatigue builds tension during the adventure, it just becomes unless bookkeeping. If the party is fleeing or pursuing and fatigue might mean loosing the quarry or getting caught, then that one point of fatigue can really become a tool for DRAMA!

The wizard in my current TFT game is always cognizant of his Fatigue, and now mana, and how his ability to rest after an encounter will determine just how all out he can go with his spell slinging.