Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 07-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Munchkinator

Location: I live in a dark scary hole, whispering, "Precious..."
Default Becoming a Cultist and Munchkin Cthulu

OK, so in Munchkin Cthulu, I know that if you draw or are given (as charity) a Cultist card, then you have to play it and become a Cultist. I understand that Cultist cards get their own discard pile.

Now, some cards make you a Cultist, such as meeting H.P. Munchcraft. What if there are no Cultist cards in the discards?

Do you wait until a Cultist card is discarded and then automatically take it and replace your class with it?

Do you replace your current class with an imaginary "Cultist Card" and so are a Cultist - just without the card - until a Cultist card is discarded?

Or do you just avoid becoming a Cultist at all since there are no Cultist cards available?
Munchkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Becoming a Cultist and Munchkin Cthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkinator View Post
OK, so in Munchkin Cthulu, I know that if you draw or are given (as charity) a Cultist card, then you have to play it and become a Cultist. I understand that Cultist cards get their own discard pile.

Now, some cards make you a Cultist, such as meeting H.P. Munchcraft. What if there are no Cultist cards in the discards?
The Munchkin Cthulhu Rules say what to do in that case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin Cthulhu Rules
When you discard a Cultist card for any reason, put it in a separate discard pile, not in the regular Door discards, and do not count this pile as “discards” for any other purpose, because:
If any card tells you “Become a Cultist,” and there is a discarded Cultist card waiting for you, then you must take it. If there is no Cultist card, you escaped . . . this time. If you were already a Cultist, there is no further effect; you don’t take another card.
Also, if you draw or given a Cultist card, you are in no obligation to play it. The only rule is that, once you are a Cultist, you can't discard it voluntarily.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
OK, so in Munchkin Cthulu, I know that if you draw or are given (as charity) a Cultist card, then you have to play it and become a Cultist.
This is not Not NOT the case. I really want to find the person who keeps telling people this is the rule and cut off his . . . access to Munchkin players.

The only time you are required to become a Cultist is when a card says you are. And if there are no Cultist cards in the discards when that card says so, you STILL don't become a Cultist.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Munchkinator

Location: I live in a dark scary hole, whispering, "Precious..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
This is not Not NOT the case. I really want to find the person who keeps telling people this is the rule and cut off his . . . access to Munchkin players.

The only time you are required to become a Cultist is when a card says you are. And if there are no Cultist cards in the discards when that card says so, you STILL don't become a Cultist.
Oh, OK! Thanks for all the help.

In his defense, he'd never played Cthulu before either, so we were all new (even though it was his game).

One follow up question: If I have the Cult Membership Card (but am not a "real" Cultist) and a card tells me to become a Cultist and there IS a Cultist card already in the discards, can I just say, "I'm already a Cultist, so that doesn't apply," and so escape?
Munchkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
One follow up question: If I have the Cult Membership Card (but am not a "real" Cultist) and a card tells me to become a Cultist and there IS a Cultist card already in the discards, can I just say, "I'm already a Cultist, so that doesn't apply," and so escape?
That one sort of depends on the card text. If a card just says to 'become a Cultist', then you would become a real one and lose the ability to use the Cult Membership Card unless you can find a way to lose your Cultist Class. If the card said 'if you are not already a Cultist, become a Cultist', then you would be able to claim you are one and thus would not need to become one; although if the same card said something else happens instead if you are a Cultist, then you must choose if you want to suffer that effect or to take the Cultist card.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
ProfessorBrains

Quote:

If I have the Cult Membership Card (but am not a "real" Cultist) and a card tells me to become a Cultist and there IS a Cultist card already in the discards, can I just say, "I'm already a Cultist, so that doesn't apply," and so escape?
I don't think this is answered yet, I think that interpretation would hinge on saying "one of the benefits of being a cultist is you don't become a cultist when a card tells you to." Doesn't sound reasonable to me, I think you'd have to become a cultist even though you have a Cult Membership Card.

What's the Official Verdict?
ProfessorBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorBrains View Post
What's the Official Verdict?
Clipper's interpretation is correct.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Jack Of Clubs

Something along the same tack that came up at one of our games:
If there is a Cultist card in the (Cultist) discard pile, and somebody wants to become a Cultist "just because", can they do so?
(I ruled no, but the guy whined about it pretty bad.)
Jack Of Clubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
DoomedDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Of Clubs View Post
Something along the same tack that came up at one of our games:
If there is a Cultist card in the (Cultist) discard pile, and somebody wants to become a Cultist "just because", can they do so?
(I ruled no, but the guy whined about it pretty bad.)
I'm assuming he's trying to become one by playing a card that says to become one? If yes, then you were correct. If he had a Cultist card in his hand then he could have played it and became a Cultist.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Clipper

Yeah, you can't just take a Cultist card out of the discards to become one without a card that tells you to become a Cultist.