Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2019, 05:19 AM   #38
FireHorse

Default Re: Other than Spellcasting, what ELSE causes Fatigue?

oldwolf:

"Devolved"…? No, but the question has some flawed premises.

One is that I was not describing recent experiences, but games played many years ago. Decades, in fact. So they bear no relation to whatever the current state of RPGs may be — a state with which I am wholly unfamiliar anyway, because I haven't played any RPGs since that time.

It is also wrong to interpret what I described as "adversarial" in the sense you seem to mean it. Superficially, YES, it most certainly was adversarial — and I would argue that's a fundamental part of playing an RPG: the GM tries his best to kill the Players, and the Players try their best to kill everything the GM throws at them and get rich while doing it. That's kind of the whole point, isn't it?

But that was never a hostile experience for me, or for anyone I've ever played with — if anything, it was often a comedic conflict, and we had great fun taking adventurous risks and pushing our luck.

And lastly, you are again wrongly suggesting that providing a few (more) numbers for non-spellcasting Fatigue loss somehow inevitably necessitates its constant and vigilant tracking. I don't know how much more clear it can be that there are only certain specific situations in which it would matter — and even then, probably only briefly. It would absolutely NOT require continual maintenance and attention.

And even if you DO continually get into melees that last for many minutes on end, and DO regularly go long-distance running with all your gear on, and DO often find yourself required to march from sunup to sundown … you still DON'T have to spend all your time tracking Fatigue, because you can very easily just ignore the Rule, and the numbers that go with it.

Which you already do, since the Rule and those numbers already exist, as variables. They just haven't been defined, only described.

If those variables aren't complicating your game now, then defining their values wouldn't either.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote