Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #61
JLV

Default Re: The Fourth Attribute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Thanks for telling me what I should consider.
How very gracious of you. We're done here.

Last edited by JLV; 02-19-2018 at 12:26 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:41 AM   #62
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
How very gracious of you. We're done here.
Nice of you to decide that.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM   #63
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Nice of you to decide that.
By all means, feel free to continue being as petty as you like; I am no longer going to waste my time responding. Fin.

Last edited by JLV; 02-20-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #64
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
For the record, rather than an HT stat to solve the "Conan the Sorcerer" problem, I would suggest that Wizards be allowed to "double" learn a given spell, perhaps even "triple" learn, which would allow, among potentially other benefits, the ability to cast that spell at reduced cost, either the initial casting cost, maintenance cost (if applicable), or both. One could also make this sort of thing a benefit of having an IQ much higher than the spell's IQ level, which has precedence in the Advanced Wizard rules. One could even combine the above in some fashion. (Note: how this would apply would depend on the type of spell. Thrown and Special spells would probably have a reduction in casting/maintenance costs; Creation spells could have reduced cost and/or get to create double or whatever; Missile spells might be an exception - I would rather that it ups the amount of ST you can put into the spell. Simply knowing the spell might allow up to 3 ST; double learning 5 ST; triple learning it 10 ST - or whatever, something to debate)

Regardless of how it is done, the key advantage is that it becomes much more useful to build up IQ rather than ST. And it is much more elegant than grafting on a new stat to TFT.

Note that if one is dead set on adding an HT type stat, this has a lot of ramifications beyond the obvious being discussed here. Many spells and I think some talents become impacted, as well. It has been done, however - consult Michael Friend's "Endurance" stat articles in his Vindicator fanzine for a very thorough treatment of the subject, including proposed rewrites for spells/talents and other affected areas of TFT.
That's not a bad proposal for solving the underlying issues. Of course, my original response, and every (on topic) one that I've made since, has been predicated towards answering Tbeard's original question..."if you could add a fourth attribute, what would it be?" ;-)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #65
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
I would suggest that Wizards be allowed to "double" learn a given spell, perhaps even "triple" learn, which would allow, among potentially other benefits, the ability to cast that spell at reduced cost, either the initial casting cost, maintenance cost (if applicable), or both.
The disadvantage of this is that characters may tend to become one-trick ponies. They get very good at casting one spell, and that gives them an incentive to keep casting that spell repeatedly, rather than casting a variety of spells.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:47 AM   #66
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
I think the wish for HT stems from two similar problems: Conan the Wizard and Conan, Ph.D. Wizards want high ST for the casting ability, and warriors want high IQ for the talents.
So why not let DX be good for certain Talents?
Warriors than no longer consider high IQ as useful.
Add the Mana or POW attribute for casting but let it help with resisting spells and its no longer a dump stat.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #67
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Add the Mana or POW attribute for casting but let it help with resisting spells and its no longer a dump stat.
Now that's a good idea. Maybe talents should be broken up into ones which use ST, DX, and IQ as their baseline. Heck, you could even keep "slots" if you felt it added something to the game. I think this is a very interesting idea!
Old 02-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #68
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Now that's a good idea. Maybe talents should be broken up into ones which use ST, DX, and IQ as their baseline. Heck, you could even keep "slots" if you felt it added something to the game. I think this is a very interesting idea!
I suggested exactly that in post 39 which Refplace was responding to. :)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #69
ak_aramis

Quote:
Because it is so fundamentally different as to overpower the roguish types.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #70
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
I suggested exactly that in post 39 which Refplace was responding to. :)
My apologies. I missed that, credit where credit is due! It's a great idea and could do a lot to solve the Conan the Wizard and Einstein the Barbarian issues.