Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-13-2019, 02:44 AM   #1
FireHorse

Default Other than Spellcasting, what ELSE causes Fatigue?

ITL suggests (and it is entirely logical) that there are many other causes of Fatigue. However, the only non-spellcasting references (to either "fatigue" or "exhaustion") that I can find are:
  • "Recovery from Exhaustion" [ITL 9] — "running too far too fast" and "trying some great feat of strength" are both mentioned, but no details are given
  • "Glossary and Definitions" [ITL 11] — "exertion" is mentioned, but no details are given
  • "Drain Strength" [ITL 24] — being targeted by the spell, -5 ST
  • "Weight Carried" [ITL 65] — carrying (15xST) lbs. of weight, -1 ST every 2 minutes
  • "Running" [ITL 70] — running up stairs, or climbing a shaft very fast, -1 ST
  • "Tunneling" [ITL 71] — digging at double rate with no break, -4 ST per hour
  • "Actions During Movement" [ITL 104] — failing the roll to pull yourself up while suspended over a pit, -1 ST
  • "Berserking" [ITL 124] — coming down from a berserker rage, -2 ST

Am I missing anything? Or is that really all that is officially specified on the subject?
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:11 AM   #2
oldwolf

Default Re: Other than Spellcasting, what ELSE causes Fatigue?

Seems to me, most of these, except berserker, are given as examples of what the GM may want to consider a fatigue penalty for. Providing it contributes to ongoing play. I don't think there is any intent to have players keep a running total of fatigue for mundane things.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #3
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
I don't think there is any intent to have players keep a running total of fatigue for mundane things.
Seconded! Fatigue outside of spellcasting can be used as a story tool. Strict tracking of fatigue throughout a normal adventure would be dull.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Strict tracking of fatigue throughout a normal adventure would be dull.
Indeed, it would, which is why I would never bother doing so.

But I can easily imagine Fatigue becoming relevant during a protracted battle, when the flow of combat makes it impossible to stop and rest. And I can also imagine many ways to wind up in such a battle: sieges, running battles, etc.

ITL says "exertion" causes Fatigue — so all I'm wondering is, how many turns of sustained physical combat qualifies as enough exertion to cost some ST? If just running up a flight of steps will do it, how long can you keep swinging a sword before it begins to wear you out?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
hcobb

If you do impose fatigue or roll or take fatigue for lengthy battles or chases, would you adjust the number of dice for these rolls for talents such as Running?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
But I can easily imagine Fatigue becoming relevant during a protracted battle, when the flow of combat makes it impossible to stop and rest. And I can also imagine many ways to wind up in such a battle: sieges, running battles, etc.
That sounds like scenario/adventure decisions that have to be made by the GM or the author of the adventure.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If you do impose fatigue or roll or take fatigue for lengthy battles or chases, would you adjust the number of dice for these rolls for talents such as Running?
That sounds reasonable to me. But I was looking for an Official Rule, rather than a House Rule.

Quote:
That sounds like scenario/adventure decisions that have to be made by the GM or the author of the adventure.
Which means I guess it'll have to be a House Rule anyway (or a Scenario Rule, at least).

Please forgive the Newbie Questioning: it's not Criticism, it's just that I'm literally still learning the Rules, and I'm not yet accustomed to TFT's deliberate simplicity. I keep looking for charts and formulae and details that just ain't there.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
KevinJ

Quote:
Seconded! Fatigue outside of spellcasting can be used as a story tool. Strict tracking of fatigue throughout a normal adventure would be dull.
Unless the tracking of Fatigue builds tension during the adventure, it just becomes unless bookkeeping. If the party is fleeing or pursuing and fatigue might mean loosing the quarry or getting caught, then that one point of fatigue can really become a tool for DRAMA!

The wizard in my current TFT game is always cognizant of his Fatigue, and now mana, and how his ability to rest after an encounter will determine just how all out he can go with his spell slinging.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:54 AM   #9
Anomylous

I just wrote an post on another thread, with an idea for how fatigue in combat might be handled. Cross-linking for reference:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=47
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
Dracrus

I would charge fatigue whenever my players would want to excessively exert themselves. For example: if they needed to move farther than their MA allowed I’d charge them a fatigue point per extra MA.
Dracrus is offline   Reply With Quote