Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Aahz.

Default League advice.

I am thinking of hosting a Car Wars League at my FLGS when Car Wars relaunches. Anyone have advice or links to thinks I can read to prepare? I've played a lot of the game but never managed a league. I am thinking of Arenas with travel in between and something like a balance sheet to track your prizes, salvage, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. The only solid part right now is hosting it on Sunday and calling it 'Sunday Drivers'

Aahz.
Aahz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: League advice.

I'm pretty sure that part of Car Wars will include exploring how to bring the AADA and memberships to life in a new form.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
DSumner

1. Figure out what you guys want from the game, strait dueling, road duels, role playing, or a combination of all of the above.

2. Make sure everyone agrees on, and understands any "house/ground rules" ahead of time (typing them up, and printing them out is the easiest way I can think of to get them out).

3. Remember to remain civil. If you're on a winning streak, no one likes to made to look dumb. If you loose, you've got a shot at it next go round. It's a game people.

4. If you're running the game, check EVERYTHING out on players sheets, and I mean EVERYTHING. If you make a ruling, stick with it, and be fair about it. Even if someone is a load mouth, or annoys the hell out of you, as long as their playing by the rules, treat them fairly. Yes, someone will probably get there feeling hurt, but as long as you're being fair in your decisions, the majority of them will get over it.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
ammulder

I have records from an arena duel campaign if you're interested:

Season 1
Season 2

It's really been too long for me to remember any takeaways, but I don't think we had the money quite right. The budgets are there if you want to poke around.
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
owenmp

Dear Aahz,

The WADA Car Wars League had moderate success with its points formula that rewarded regular play. You are welcome to use its rules.

I sent you a private message. Because we are both in the Seattle area, we should talk.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentalarc

Anyone know of an online group that will be starting/restarting soon? Preferably arena duelling mostly?

Pentalarc

(sorry, a bit off subject)
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahz. View Post
I am thinking of hosting a Car Wars League at my FLGS when Car Wars relaunches. Anyone have advice or links to thinks I can read to prepare?
You can see our older rules at the SPARK Info page. (Slightly modified tournament rules, 5/3/2/1 circuit points for 1st/2nd/3rd/everyone else, drop one duel throughout the year.)