Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
Antiquation!

Default Psionic Powers "Suggestion" clarification

There's a suggestion ability on page 63 of Psionic powers which, at level 1, is limited to a Melee Contact Agent only.

The wording of the ability (and its parent Advantage, "Mind Control") states that you can implant suggestions for "as long as you concentrate, and then for minutes equal to your margin of victory afterward".

Given that the ability is limited to touch-range, is the expectation that you must maintain skin contact whenever you are giving the target commands (even if the duration hasn't expired), or is the touch simply to "initiate" the suggestion ability and further orders can be given so long as you're within hearing range of your target (provided the duration of the ability hasn't expired)?

My personal interpretation is fairly literal, in that it seems like you'd have to maintain skin contact for issuing either the initial suggestion or further commands. This would mean that even if the duration had not been exceeded, you would still have to walk back and touch the target to give them further orders.

If I'm misunderstanding, it's more than likely a failure on my part to understand the way the power modifiers interact with the core advantage... thank you in advance for your help and input!

Last edited by Antiquation!; 06-18-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Mixed up the Psionics-specific "power" and "ability" terminologies
Antiquation! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: Psionic Powers "Suggestion" clarification

You touch them to initiate it, then can give them commands even if you break contact.

This is because once you succeed at your attack, it lasts for its normal duration. And the duration of Mind Control is "as long as you concentrate, then (margin of victory) minutes." It's no different than if you hit someone with Toxic Attack (Cyclic; Melee) -- even if you walk away, it will continue to eat away at their HP.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Antiquation!

Default Re: Psionic Powers "Suggestion" clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
You touch them to initiate it, then can give them commands even if you break contact.

This is because once you succeed at your attack, it lasts for its normal duration. And the duration of Mind Control is "as long as you concentrate, then (margin of victory) minutes." It's no different than if you hit someone with Toxic Attack (Cyclic; Melee) -- even if you walk away, it will continue to eat away at their HP.
Thank you, that's exactly the information I was looking for! It makes perfect sense when you put it like that. :)

Tags
psionic powers, suggestion