Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
JCurwen3

Default [Powers] Super-heated sandblast attack

What damage type would a very very hot sandblast attack (think a sandstorm, but of superheated air and sand) be? The sandblast sounds corrosive, but the heat could make it burning (or at least also do fatigue damage with the Heat hazard).

Suggestions on how to build / damage type?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: [Powers] Super-heated sandblast attack

Sounds like a Crushing + Corrosive + Fatigue (Hazard: Heat) attack, with Crushing and Corrosive Linked, and the Fatigue being a Followup to either attack (but not both).

I wouldn't use Burning unless you also had a No Incendiary Effect limitation, but that'd replace the Fatigue.

YMMV

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Sounds like a Crushing + Corrosive + Fatigue (Hazard: Heat) attack, with Crushing and Corrosive Linked, and the Fatigue being a Followup to either attack (but not both).

I wouldn't use Burning unless you also had a No Incendiary Effect limitation, but that'd replace the Fatigue.

YMMV
What percentages would you use for Crushing vs Corrosion for how much the damage is cr and how much is for? 50/50? I sort of saw the attack as being hot enough to do at least some burn damage, much like touching a hot stove.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
What percentages would you use for Crushing vs Corrosion for how much the damage is cr and how much is for? 50/50? I sort of saw the attack as being hot enough to do at least some burn damage, much like touching a hot stove.
Hmm... hard to say. Something like that would likely have low dice values overall, possibly with Double Knockback on the Crushing. Possibly a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of Corrosive to Crushing.

Sandblasters tend to work due to the friction of the sand stripping things; this would be best covered by a Corrosive attack IMO. The heat would be a secondary effect, possibly more from friction than the heat of the sand.

Oh, and I'd add probably Jet to the attack due to its nature, unless you wanted it to be a ball of sand rather than the focused stream of a sandblaster.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
PK

To keep it simple, I'd probably just go "corrosion incendiary." The damage from the heat can be subsumed into the overall corrosion damage, which (for the most part) has similar enough effects to burning that it works well. (Except for the actual burning part, of course, but that's what incendiary covers.)

Unfortunately, that doesn't really cover the knockback part of things. Trouble is, if you try to represent, say, a 3d attack by linking Crushing Attack 1d + Corrosion Attack 1d + Burning Attack 1d, you're actually nerfing yourself because all of those attacks have to penetrate armor separately. Thus, I'd stick to using Corrosion Attack (Incendiary, +10%) as your actual damage, and if you want knockback, link Crushing Attack (Double Knockback, +20%; No Wounding, +50%) to it. That way, you're only inflicting knockback with it, and DR isn't even a factor.

So here's a potential build for a 6d attack:

Corrosion Attack 6d (Incendiary, +10%; Link, +10%) [72] +
Crushing Attack 3d (Double Knockback, +20%; Link, +10%; No Wounding, -50%) [12]

84 points total. Does 6d cor inc with full knockback as if it were a crushing attack, too.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
The Benj

Couldn't you use Double Knockback like Incendiary, to add Knockback to a damage type that normally doesn't have it?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Couldn't you use Double Knockback like Incendiary, to add Knockback to a damage type that normally doesn't have it?
2 x 0 = 0. Imbue can do it, but you can't Imbue IA.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #8
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
2 x 0 = 0. Imbue can do it, but you can't Imbue IA.
Yes, I'm not suggesting a literal doubling, I mean like the Blunt Trauma enhancement that CAN be used to increase Blunt Trauma (for the types where it's normally only 1/10) but it can also add it to types that don't normally have it.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Yes, I'm not suggesting a literal doubling, I mean like the Blunt Trauma enhancement that CAN be used to increase Blunt Trauma (for the types where it's normally only 1/10) but it can also add it to types that don't normally have it.
That would be a reasonable house rule, yes. Really, the rules about what attacks you can and can't add that to are more for verisimilitude than balance.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
To keep it simple, I'd probably just go "corrosion incendiary." The damage from the heat can be subsumed into the overall corrosion damage, which (for the most part) has similar enough effects to burning that it works well. (Except for the actual burning part, of course, but that's what incendiary covers.)

Unfortunately, that doesn't really cover the knockback part of things. Trouble is, if you try to represent, say, a 3d attack by linking Crushing Attack 1d + Corrosion Attack 1d + Burning Attack 1d, you're actually nerfing yourself because all of those attacks have to penetrate armor separately. Thus, I'd stick to using Corrosion Attack (Incendiary, +10%) as your actual damage, and if you want knockback, link Crushing Attack (Double Knockback, +20%; No Wounding, +50%) to it. That way, you're only inflicting knockback with it, and DR isn't even a factor.
This is essentially what I did for a mummified dragon in DF.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, damage