Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Orlin

Default Trauma

This is a subject that has very likely come up in the past, but I thought it warranted a little discussion from an alternate perspective. I've seen many of the books mention Trauma, often off-handedly or briefly, as a consequence that occurs when an angel (or a demon) experiences corporeal death. I'll refer exclusively to angels, because they seem to take Trauma a great deal more seriously than demons, who are mostly content to lock their wards in a room and disband their forces if recovery is not quick enough. Angels who are taken by Trauma get a much more benevolent treatment, but what does their existence entail? And how much consciousness do the Traumatized have throughout their rehabilitation?

As neat and cool as it sounds that even Celestials can be shell-shocked by death, Trauma does not seem particularly playable -- but this is the part that has probably been discussed before. Effectively, a GM that places one of his PC's in Trauma has removed that PC for an indeterminate amount of time. This is, sadly, one of the only circumstances in the In Nomine game setting in which the GM can begin a game with the famous first words "You wake up."

Insofar as how Trauma is handled, I have my ways. I would most likely give the player a servant or an NPC for a while to keep them involved and actively engaged in play, so long as he (or she) was talented enough to handle the part.

I'm more or less concerned about Trauma from a writer's perspective. What's the play-by-play? An angel who is violently slaughtered and manifests beside his heart, huddled up in the fetal position might be carried into some kind of sick-ward, but I don't particularly see how the act of caring for such a person could be construed as a chore.

What do the ministering angels and caretakers do? I can understand basic creature comforts -- tender touches, soft words and wise counsel. But the lot of a caretaker does not seem to be a high-maintenance ordeal. Zadkiel often assigns her angels to the Trauma ward if they seem to be lacking in compassion, but it seems to me like there really isn't a whole lot of "caring for the sick" going on. A wayward Malakite could easily just do perimeter checks and yawn for a week, because angels, unlike humans, don't seem to have physical needs. This is not to say that the emotional needs aren't just as powerful, but holding someone's hand is a lot different than giving them a sponge bath.

If Trauma is anything like trauma, it doesn't seem to me like the afflicted angel would be particularly talkative. In fact, when I think "Trauma" the first image that pops up in my head is that of a human huddled up on a hospital bed in the fetal position, or else rocking back and forth in a corner.

Thing is, angels don't need to eat or drink. Nothing says they can't, and I'm sure that feeding the sick (those who wish to eat, anyway) is no small kindness. But it's not like there's a whole lot of cleanup afterward. Unlike humans under similar circumstances, Celestials don't sweat or excrete anything, they don't hold physical wounds, they don't need to have their bedsheets or bandages changed, and they don't need medication of any kind at regular intervals. Frankly, it seems like the ministering angels have it easy.

So, with that in mind, what's your take on Trauma? Have you, or any of your favorite storytellers, ever used Trauma creatively in any of your games? Does anyone have different viewpoints on the way that Trauma affects Celestials, or could someone point out something prominent in the cannon that I'm missing? I'm taking all comers.

Last edited by Orlin; 07-01-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Orlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Matthias Wasser

Default Re: Trauma

The OOC purpose of Trauma is to make death costly, and thus give each side a reason to riddle the other with bullets. (I like the idea that Malakim represent a major tactical advantage for the Host - kill them and they'll just respawn at the nearest Divine Tether, back to take more of you down. Heaven is down the cost of Vessels, but given the typical combat focus on Malakim and the fact that I imagine very few of them have Roles, Team Hell will be expending way more resources whenever Malakim show up.)

Obviously this can be a bit disruptive in game - most of the people I've played with (not In Nomine specifically) aren't all that attached to their characters and would be happy to play an NPC for a session, though. I don't think it breaks anything balance-wise if Trauma is trivially easy to recover from, if downtime is suboptimal - it just needs to be costly in general for the setting to make sense. If the duration is random rather than fixed in-setting, you can just adjust according to Plot.

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited by Matthias Wasser; 07-02-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Orlin

I'm aware of the mechanic and why it was built, and for that reason I appreciate Trauma for what it is. In some ways, it makes In Nomine more like a superhero game than D&D or WoD, in the sense that combat can be powerful, but is not necessarily final. I can spend an hour or two cranking out an In Nomine villain that I can use a dozen times or more, and I can instill an inherent fear of Celestial Combat in the process. I can't do that in WoD or D&D, because the chances of my villain getting killed outright are somewhere between 80 and 100% on any given day.

Most of my players have a tendency to get extremely attached to their characters, but they aren't of the variety that kicks, squeals, screams and cries when you take their characters away. I've lost characters that were near and dear to me, and in most situations if the characters sacrifice meant something, I was game. Usually I turn around and make an even more endearing character if the first one dies.

In Nomine lets you take the character away for a while, which is sort of cool, because as a GM it allows me to actually kill an entire party and continue the same story with the same characters. With vessel-death (and the consequences of Trauma), I could even build a story based on the PC's desire for revenge -- indeed, killing a party of angels with an evenly matched cadre of hellspawn is something I've longed to do for a while. Problem is, it can be tough to outsmart your players when you only have one mind and they have many, and if I nail them in a fight, I need them to feel like they fought well and lost.

No, my question is for GM's who have different interpretations of Trauma, whether those interpretations are cannon (pointing out lapses in what I've read), or custom. I'm also curious to see if anyone has ever used the Trauma ward as a powerful setting or story hook.

For example...

What if a group of PC's have been assigned to the Trauma ward of one Superior or another to work off a point of dissonance, but in so doing, they discover that some of the patients aren't recovering at all, while others are taking longer and longer to rehabilitate?

Investigation leads the angels to believe that someone is using Celestial and Ethereal Songs of Entropy to send her victims spiraling farther and farther into the bowels of Trauma. Further investigation points to an angel who would be difficult, if not impossible, to convict, or whose conviction would be in some way tragic or harmful to heaven's morale. A Bright Lilim who owed some favor to a demon prince, a newly redeemed angel on the verge of a Fall and looking to cut a deal with a Prince for more power, or a fanatical servitor of judgment who simply wishes to inflict her own dissonant and convoluted form of punishment against the agents who have failed the Host would all make for suitable suspects, especially if one of them had been close to the party...

I'm not really concerned with how to handle Trauma as a game mechanic for the one PC who screws up and loses his character -- although I'll take contributions of that nature. That part has probably been discussed at length in the past. I'm more or less concerned with GM's who have actually taken Trauma and redefined it or made a session out of it, or for how people who write fanfiction approach the subject.

Last edited by Orlin; 07-01-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Orlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
I'm more or less concerned about Trauma from a writer's perspective. What's the play-by-play? An angel who is violently slaughtered and manifests beside his heart, huddled up in the fetal position might be carried into some kind of sick-ward, but I don't particularly see how the act of caring for such a person could be construed as a chore.

What do the ministering angels and caretakers do? I can understand basic creature comforts -- tender touches, soft words and wise counsel. But the lot of a caretaker does not seem to be a high-maintenance ordeal.
The following is my idea and not in the least canon, but perhaps at least plausible.

As you mention, a mortal who is comatose or in shell-shock needs help with the most basic things: turning, eating, drinking, eliminating and so on. Angels lack many of these problems, but have one of their own.

Force release.

Normally, a celestial no more has to worry about holding their Forces together than a mortal has to worry about breathing. But when an angel or demon goes into Trauma, the autonomous reactions begin to slow down and stop. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, the Forces begin to unbind as the "body" tries to return to the universe.

Unless, that is, the celestial is constantly monitored and repaired.

This is no small task. It means spending hours a day studying the celestial from top to toe and binding up any small flaws found. An especially bad tear may require Essence transfer to mend, or the enacting of an "unconscious Rite" if one is available (such as plugging a Lightning angel into the equivalent of an outlet for a while). In extreme cases, a Force may even have to be transplanted to stabilize the celestial until it awakens and can recover control of its "spiritual body."

It requires unflinching attention and a willingness to sacrifice. It is a duty that no one could ever require of a Servitor, even an angelic one.

And yet, over the centuries, Heaven has never lacked for volunteers.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #5
tHEhERETIC

I'm a big fan of devil-in-the-details, and the detail that strikes me about Trauma is vessel/role loss. It's more of an issue the longer the angel inhabits the role, and the deeper the role goes.

An angel waking up in Trauma may come around to asking "Who am I, really?" because they're not angel/role anymore but simply angel. Think about all the things that go into a role--name, ID, friends...gone. To say nothing of looking down and not seeing hands anymore, which while they were never yours you've kind of gotten used to thinking of them that way. That paunchy belly. That annoying little mole on your chin. That really nice pair of legs that looked like you worked out a lot...gone. It's a huge set of losses, and while rationally none of them should matter, emotionally they all do.

Who am I, really? Was I ever that? Are my (mortal) friends going to be okay? I miss the sensation of speaking, even though it's so inefficient next to Angelic tongue.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
JCD

First, let me join you in lamenting the fact that there is no easy mechanic for unconsciousness in IN for Celestials. It is a plot device which is incredibly useful for the GM to nudge (railroad) the players into a new scene. As it stands, the difference between unconsciousness and death is razor thin (a few points of damage) meaning that ALL characters (humans included) can fight till they drop and removing most of the fear a Malakim would have for being captured. (And don't get me started on zombie robot vessels and their ability to ignore drugs...)

Next up is one of MY critiques of Trauma. Except for Malakim and 'dispersed' Kyriotates, all other Celestials experience Trauma. As described in the book, it takes hours for an Ofanim for example to reform around his Heart.

<enter rationalizations for a game idiosincrisy which is unexplained> Malakim...don't. They pop up, fully coalesced and (please note that this seems to be a game custom and not a rule) ready to drop back down from the place they just died, ready to fight on. Perhaps this is due to a newfangled process that the Angels have discovered. Angels now with MALAKIM (TM) Force Binding. Which explains the whole 'don't get captured' so as to deny Vapula guinea pigs to retro design from...

I like the Heretic's thoughts, but that leaves the roleless underexplained. I personally look at it like this: The Forces of the Angel are hooked into being a human being. One can gently unhook when one goes Celestial, but at vessel death, that type of 'soft reboot' isn't available. Now, if the Celestial still has his 'hooks' connected to a Limbo form, he can shift over to that. A vessel in a body bag has a similar connection.

Lacking that, his forces are spread willy nilly. They need to slowly wend their way through the Symphony to their Heart, which serves as a Force Beacon. There, the angel can start to realign himself, reattaching his Self back to what it was. This has to be a natural process because I don't see Hell spending the time and effort on repairing their Horde...unless it is important.

Therefore, let me come up with Force Doctors(TM). If/When a Superior needs a Celestial out of Trauma earlier, or needs a debrief, these professional worthies come into play: helping to get them up and running a bit sooner. There are those Trauma Baubles which also help, but without the help of a dedicated Force Doctor, it's still touch and go.

The other role such Doctors play is to try and help encourage the long dormant to find a way back home. Sometimes, the emotional, physical and psychic damage was so strong that Trauma is extended (as a mechanic, I would say a character who suffered Body and Soul Hits would require a longer Trauma recovery)

Most angels and demons in Trauma just require an occasional dusting however...
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Rocket Man

Another thought. Maybe angels and demons don't need specific "body" care while they're in Trauma at all. But social may be another story.

I'm eplieptic. And one odd thing about epilepsy is that talking calmy to a person undergoing a seizure can sometimes help calm the seizure itself. The victim is never consciously aware of the words, but on a subconscious level something responds. I've heard of similar effects with people in comas, where the person notices kind treatment or words, even unconsciously.

What if those Ministering Angels are spending several hours a day just talking to their traumatized kin?

It would make sense on several levels. First, that could be psychically wearing on the MAs themselves ... talking to an unresponsive soul, not sure if you're actually doing any good but not daring to let any of your fears show. Second, it would explain why demons still come out of Trauma despite getting no care worthy of the name.

Of course, I would expect some difference from the level of care. It could be that demons are at risk of coming out of Trauma with a level or two of Discord from their neglect as something begins to psychically spoil -- a fate the angels avoid due to the kind care they receive. It's not canonical, but it does make sense to me.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
What if those Ministering Angels are spending several hours a day just talking to their traumatized kin?

It would make sense on several levels. First, that could be psychically wearing on the MAs themselves ... talking to an unresponsive soul, not sure if you're actually doing any good but not daring to let any of your fears show. Second, it would explain why demons still come out of Trauma despite getting no care worthy of the name.
I like this idea. It also kind of makes sense that demons might not need this care as much as angels. By nature, angels are selfless, and may need to experience caring from other angels just to pull them out of Trauma. Demons, on the other hand, are selfish by nature, and may actually benefit more from the time alone to steel their will and snap themselves out of it.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
JCD

In our IN game, the Lilim call Trauma 'Me Time'. They essentially are contemplating themselves.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
It also kind of makes sense that demons might not need this care as much as angels. By nature, angels are selfless, and may need to experience caring from other angels just to pull them out of Trauma. Demons, on the other hand, are selfish by nature, and may actually benefit more from the time alone to steel their will and snap themselves out of it.
Excellent point. I hadn't considered that. Hmmm ... it makes me wonder if demons who do get TLC during Trauma become inadvertant candidates for the "nicer" Discords such as Merciful or Selfless?

And JCD, that is priceless. I'm going to have to swipe that.

Tags
protection, tips, trauma, vessel death