Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #121
Epic Kobold

Default Re: [OOC] The Marching Storm

I wonder if giving them sheep is right, given what I read about them in Banestorm (are there any more books that feature them I can check out? I really like these guys) We could give them some and let them know that we will establish will be sheep farms that they can raid when they see fit...if they are brave enough. I think they'd like that and we'll have a bunch of shepherds specally trained in hand to hand combat. Personal glory and conquest, a Reptile's dream.

I'm thinking we should raise two armies, in essence. The public face to defend us from attacks and bicker with our rivals, and the secret Guerrillas I've been harping on.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #122
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Question what is a good skill to use to recruit troops. He already ahs the perk Head Hunter which gives him a bonus. I was htinking streetwise to find the unsavory type and perhaps diplomacy for the more honorable sort. Or is it just a reaction roll?
Propaganda is the generic influence skill for large numbers of people. And public speaking works too if you assemble them first. There are quite a few of the cinematic-bardic-influence skills that would help (musical influence, sway emotion, persuade) Streetwise will both allow us to contact raiders/other criminal elements and it works as an influence skill on them. Sociology would help. Savoir-Faire might help too. All the influence skills could be useful as well, but diplomacy is probably the one that causes the least amount of trouble.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #123
Harry O'Gane

(In the post: Marko the GM finds out about the multi-quote function)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
which side did we choose again?
As far as I can tell: The Metarevolutionists, the 3rd side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
If we want to dispose both leaders and rule ourselves then we need to side with the rebels, I don't think we can get the loyalist to be disloyal obviously. Of course, Cabble wins its not a good situation. What about a loose alliance to the rebels? If we grow enough in power the rebels may decide that we could lead them to victory. I can't believe that many other people like Cabble, but are just choosing him because they really hate the king.

Edit: Nice M.S. paint map. I note Simonton is the top castle on the western boarder.
Note that Cabble is not the leader of rebels. Denerim, a man who started the Sterling Rebellion, is actually the one who is most influent. Not officialy the boss, but yes, he "advises" everyone to do what is best for the Rebel movement.

Also, thanks. I needed over 9000 hours in MSpaint to do that.

Quote:
Is there a netural country that perhaps Duncan cna try to persuade to our cause. Or perhaps a nefarious group of Pirates or Brigands he can try to woo into aiding us. Beggars can't be chosers at this point.

Also I am going to be out the rest of the weekend so don't expect anything regualr until Monday
Apart from Simonton, there is only Harkwood left. All that you know about Harkwood is written in your intro PM #1. However, you may investigate about anything extra.

And it's ok, this is PbP, so no strict rules on you having to post every single day.

Quote:
Question what is a good skill to use to recruit troops. He already ahs the perk Head Hunter which gives him a bonus. I was htinking streetwise to find the unsavory type and perhaps diplomacy for the more honorable sort. Or is it just a reaction roll?
I'd say Streetwise is for shady and second-hand service, Diplomacy is for established mercenaries and Administration is apted if you have access to a database on all possible recruitable mercs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
I wonder if giving them sheep is right, given what I read about them in Banestorm (are there any more books that feature them I can check out? I really like these guys) We could give them some and let them know that we will establish will be sheep farms that they can raid when they see fit...if they are brave enough. I think they'd like that and we'll have a bunch of shepherds specally trained in hand to hand combat. Personal glory and conquest, a Reptile's dream.

I'm thinking we should raise two armies, in essence. The public face to defend us from attacks and bicker with our rivals, and the secret Guerrillas I've been harping on.
Don't know whether there're any other Banestorm books, but I believe there is one about some kind of an undead city or something. Also, why not take that preposition about simply giving them sheep nto consideration?

If you pick two armies, you will have to divide commanders, since only one person per a force can declare himself as an affective army leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Propaganda is the generic influence skill for large numbers of people. And public speaking works too if you assemble them first. There are quite a few of the cinematic-bardic-influence skills that would help (musical influence, sway emotion, persuade) Streetwise will both allow us to contact raiders/other criminal elements and it works as an influence skill on them. Sociology would help. Savoir-Faire might help too. All the influence skills could be useful as well, but diplomacy is probably the one that causes the least amount of trouble.
The good thing about diplomacy is that it never does the opposite of what you want to do. You might use diplomacy andfail the roll, but it only means that you did not find the terms which would suit the other side. Ergo, it counts as if you didn't do anything at all.

Marko
Harry O'Gane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #124
Skullcrusher

I will post Tomorrow. I still need to spend some points. I also need to buy a better sword. But a horse first.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #125
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
The good thing about diplomacy is that it never does the opposite of what you want to do. You might use diplomacy andfail the roll, but it only means that you did not find the terms which would suit the other side. Ergo, it counts as if you didn't do anything at all.

Marko
Also the other influence skills are either limited to specific groups of people (savor-faire, streetwise and sex appeal). Intimidation means they will dislike you and stick a knife in your back if they think they can. Fast-Talk will fail horribly if they figure out you tricked them. Sex-appeal works great... once. You might get a long-term "ally", but they'll get ****** if you try it again. Diplomacy has none of those problems and if it fails its simply a "nothing happens".

Also probably say... 25th to the 30th don't expect regular posting. Might not even post at all.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #126
Grey_Fox

Updated character sheet with CP spent
Spoiler:  
Grey_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #127
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry O'Gane View Post
(OOC: You mean, trying to get them on your side to fight? Or gather information from them? What do you want from them? If you want some troops, you'd have to convince them in some manner, although it is highly improbable. The Stone swears its allegiance to the King, effectively making them Royalists, but not in all cases. Some of them are only nominately sworn to the King, but the work they do is simply good-doing, regardless for whom. Therefore, contacting them could be in a form of Writing, personally adressing them with Diplomacy or using low-lifes and thugs to deliver the message via Streetwise.)
I see I should have been more clear.
The strategy and int analysis rolls are for the "battle of the orchard" we now face.

The bit with the stoners is more of a "Hey buddies, our mutual friend just passed away and his enemies may sucker punch us before we get our **** together, could you come over for some days?" Near as I can tell, the castle still stands on neutral ground as all talk of picking a side was interrupted by merrymaking.

Can I not simply send a messenger? Does it have to be a low-life?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #128
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
I see I should have been more clear.
The strategy and int analysis rolls are for the "battle of the orchard" we now face.

The bit with the stoners is more of a "Hey buddies, our mutual friend just passed away and his enemies may sucker punch us before we get our **** together, could you come over for some days?" Near as I can tell, the castle still stands on neutral ground as all talk of picking a side was interrupted by merrymaking.

Can I not simply send a messenger? Does it have to be a low-life?
First I'll answer the message question: No, doesn't need to be a low-life, I was just giving examples. A problem might arise with the Knights of the Stone, you see. Grok will not have a problem with this, since he only has some kind of an honorary title, but every Knight of the Stone swears his allegiance to the King (their HQ are in Carrick, duh :P), and if the situation arises that you guys go Rebel, they'll never aid you. However, internal battles between the local lords might attract some of them to join you, but only if they see you as the "good" side. I'd say Diplomacy will work good for that.

Now the other thing, you mean the Recon contest? Yeah, I kind of misunderstood you there. Well, according to MC, yours is to roll Int. Analysis, and Strategy would be used by the official commander, that is, Godfrey. Every force needs to designate a Commander, an Intelligence Chief and a Quartermaster. If Grok would be the Commander, he would decide on the tactics that shall be used in combat, although he could make himself an Intellgience Chief, as well. I believe you've all noticed that there's six of you and three possible roles, with the ability of one person taking on all of them.

So, Godfrey will provide a Strategy Roll, you provide Int. Analysis. How does this work? Grok gathers information and analyses it, tossess out irrelevant things and provides Godfrey with facts that could be of use, like the number of the troops, equipment, landmarks, good positions etc (let's say), while Godfrey, as a commander, must use HIS Strategy skill, in order to know what to do when the battle truly arrives, and whether there is anything to do to maybe make the battle as an encounter battle, or an surprise attack, or even ambush.

Tl;dr: Roll your Int. Analysis, no need for Strategy, Godfrey rolls that.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #129
Epic Kobold

I suspect three days is not enough time to sort things out with the Order, Grok'll have to make it a point to visit with them if he survives this.

Also, this is me still learning the particulars of the rules. Please take my questioning as clarification, not doubt.

1) According to the book (pg 201) says that the GM makes all IA rolls in secret.
2) It specifically says that this skill has nothing to do with gathering information, just analyzing it.
3) Strategy (pg 222) is about "deducing, in advance, enemy military plans". Grok cannot discuss any insight with bossman? What are the rules for assisting with skills?
Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 AM   #130
Harry O'Gane

Quote:
I suspect three days is not enough time to sort things out with the Order, Grok'll have to make it a point to visit with them if he survives this.

Also, this is me still learning the particulars of the rules. Please take my questioning as clarification, not doubt.

1) According to the book (pg 201) says that the GM makes all IA rolls in secret.
2) It specifically says that this skill has nothing to do with gathering information, just analyzing it.
3) Strategy (pg 222) is about "deducing, in advance, enemy military plans". Grok cannot discuss any insight with bossman? What are the rules for assisting with skills?
1) Yep, it's in secret.
2) Yes, analyzing the situation you get from scouts, or by scouting by yourself.
3) In case you want to assist him in the battle, you must be appointed as second-in-command. You both roll strategy and we take an average of the two rolls. But the Commander is the one that has the final word.

Tags
banestorm, caithness, civil war, mass combat, yrth