Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
ULFGARD

Default DF & Magical Styles

Has anyone used magical styles in a DF game? I realize that they, like martial arts, might fall below the level of detail for DF. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried to bridge that gap.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: DF & Magical Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Has anyone used magical styles in a DF game? I realize that they, like martial arts, might fall below the level of detail for DF. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried to bridge that gap.
I made a Michaelite style for a DF game set in Banestorm. It was exhausting messing around with spell lists. Especially because I was trying to figure out how to replace clerics with Banestorm's priest-mages at the same time as making the style.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Sure did. My pixie got exploded by a trap unfortunately, but she was using styles. Little wizard's school of evocation was made specifically for DF wizards.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't touch the GURPS Magic magic system with a ten foot pole, as you all know, but I can't see that allowing the use of Magical Styles in a GURPS DF campaign does any harm. It adds complexity proportional to the number of spellcasting-modifying Perks each spellcaster has, but GURPS DF isn't especially simple to begin with, as much as it is focused and distilled.

So I can't see it'll be a problem, especially if you stick to the rule about 1 Perk per X CP (which I think is in the RAW). Maybe not even if you soften the rule by introducing a 5 CP UB to give a flat increase to the number of Style Perks equal to IQ+Magery/Talent - that way you also open up yet another niche for Wizards: The Style Caster.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
It was exhausting messing around with spell lists.
I hear that. Still, it's rewarding. I've been making a few for my non-DF gameworld. I have used it for DF in the past, and may well want to do so again. It can be done without breaking the game world. I was just curious to see how it had worked for others, since it could be cool to keep in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Sure did. My pixie got exploded by a trap unfortunately, but she was using styles. Little wizard's school of evocation was made specifically for DF wizards.
Nice! I like that one! Perfect for a DF wizard. The one question I'd have: did the ability to gain new spells without reference to books/teachers cause problems?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I wouldn't touch the GURPS Magic magic system with a ten foot pole, as you all know, but I can't see that allowing the use of Magical Styles in a GURPS DF campaign does any harm. It adds complexity proportional to the number of spellcasting-modifying Perks each spellcaster has, but GURPS DF isn't especially simple to begin with, as much as it is focused and distilled.

So I can't see it'll be a problem, especially if you stick to the rule about 1 Perk per X CP (which I think is in the RAW). Maybe not even if you soften the rule by introducing a 5 CP UB to give a flat increase to the number of Style Perks equal to IQ+Magery/Talent - that way you also open up yet another niche for Wizards: The Style Caster.
I've pretty much always tweaked GURPS Magic, even in 3e days (when I started playing). Done that way, it's fun for me. I also love the spirit magic system (rituals and paths now), and use it in secret magic games.

Yeah, some of the perks are in a later power ups book, now that I look. I suppose I could wonder at the in-game effects. But if others have tried it, DF isn't the sort of game I go into worrying about anything other than power balance, and even then it takes a back seat to ork-slaying, treasure-looting fun, and so long as everyone is having it... But I wondered what the effect of imposing it would be.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
I hear that. Still, it's rewarding. I've been making a few for my non-DF gameworld. I have used it for DF in the past, and may well want to do so again. It can be done without breaking the game world. I was just curious to see how it had worked for others, since it could be cool to keep in.
I had originally just planned on doing a style for every college. Probably the simplest and quickest way, and let players who are interested in a particular style tweak it a bit with GM approval.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
bcd

DF Clerics and Druids are a pretty long way towards using magical styles already so I don't see how wizardly (or other) magical styles could do much harm in themselves.

The important point to keep in mind is to respect the class specializations so that you don't define magical styles that trample all over some other class's DF niche.
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Greg 1

DF and Magical Styles are a natural team.

The crunch-focussed nature of a DF game makes it a natural venue for tinkering with crunch for the sake of variety and individuality.

For those who come up with styles, don't forget to consider adding them to the GURPS Magical Styles fan netbook, which can be found here:

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GURPS_...es_Fan_Netbook
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Nice! I like that one! Perfect for a DF wizard.
I specifically designed it to incorporate the spell list from the wizard template in DF1. Well, the explody variation anyways, but this is the Little Wizards School of Evocation so that's a focus I'm comfortable with.

Quote:
The one question I'd have: did the ability to gain new spells without reference to books/teachers cause problems?
I really can't say, as I never really used that feature before dying horribly. 2 hit points :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post

DF Clerics and Druids are a pretty long way towards using magical styles already
Bards, clerics, demonologists, druids, elementalists, necromancers, and shamans are definitely using magical styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post

I don't see how wizardly (or other) magical styles could do much harm in themselves.
Neither do I. The fact that we've kept the trappings of formal magical styles hidden doesn't mean that they aren't there already. They're present and fairly workable.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical styles