Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #61
RyanW

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
johndallman: you might consider looking at Realm-based Syntactic Magic from Thaumatology as the "Magical Talent <type>" side of things, with individual spells that have been mastered (to the point that they can be cast instinctively) being purchased as Alternate Abilities to the most appropriate Realm.
That almost perfectly fills a need I've had for some time. I will have to think on this.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #62
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Well they you might be interested in how I build Clerics:
Interesting build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Divine Favor has a Similar feel, but a different approach.
Yeah, that's one of the strengths of the toolkit that is GURPS Powers.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #63
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
you might consider looking at Realm-based Syntactic Magic from Thaumatology as the "Magical Talent <type>" side of things
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to readily handle the variable breadth of the talents I'm trying to model. I'd need a fairly complicated heirarchy of categories as far as I can see. Just eyeballing it as a variable cost of talent by breadth seems much easier.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #64
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to readily handle the variable breadth of the talents I'm trying to model. I'd need a fairly complicated heirarchy of categories as far as I can see. Just eyeballing it as a variable cost of talent by breadth seems much easier.
My suggestion was less about which Realms you would use and more about what rules you would use for the "Magical Talent <type>" trait: instead of the Availability Check and Reaction Roll mechanic that Divine Favor uses (which obviously carries a strong implication that you're dealing with a person of some sort), use the "Flexible Magic" rules from Thaumatology (specifically, Performing the Working, p.191) when your style of magic is more impersonal in its nature. Go ahead and assign any given mage a single Realm, and eyeball that Realm's cost by breadth; Thaumatology's method of assigning costs by counting Realms of roughly equal size is merely a suggestion, anyway.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #65
Langy

Here's a first-go at a template for a Divine Favor-ified Priest character.

Quote:
Priest

Attributes: ST 12 [20]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20].

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lbs.; HP 12 [0]; Will 14 [10]; Per 12 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6.00 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].

Advantages: Clerical Investment [5] and Divine Favor 8 [45]. • 60 points in Learned Prayers • A further 20 points chosen from among additional Learned Prayers or Divine Favor +1 [10], ST +1 or +2 [10 or 20], DX +1 [20], IQ +1 [20], HT +1 or +2 [10 or 20], Will +1 to +4 [5/level], FP +1 to +6 [3/level], Fearlessness [2/level] or Unfazeable [15], Healer 1 or 2 [10 or 20], Languages (any) [2-6/language], Luck [15], Mind Shield [4/level], Power Investiture (Divine Favor) 1 or 2 [10 or 20], Resistant to Disease (+3) or (+8) [3 or 5], or Signature Gear [Varies].

Disadvantages: One of Honesty (12) [-10], Sense of Duty (Coreligionists) [-10], or Vow (No edged weapons) [-10]. • Another -15 points chosen from among those traits or Disciplines of Faith (Ritualism or Mysticism) [-5 or -10], Fanaticism [-15], Intolerance (“Evil” religions) or (All other religions) [-5 or -10], Vow (Chastity or Vegetarianism) [-5], or Wealth (Struggling or Poor) [-10 or -15]. • A further -25 points chosen from either of the two previous lists or Charitable [-15*], Compulsive Generosity [-5*] or Miserliness [-10*], Gluttony [-5*], Overconfidence [-5*], Overweight [-1] or Fat [-3], Selfless [-5*], Sense of Duty (Adventuring companions) [-5], Stubbornness [-5], Truthfulness [-5*], or Weirdness Magnet [-15].

Primary Skills: Theology and Religious Ritual, both (H) IQ [4]-12; and Exorcism (H) Will [4]-14. • One of Throwing (A) DX+1 [4]-13; or Sling (H) DX [4]-12. • One of these three melee skills packages:
1. One of Axe/Mace or Broadsword, both (A) DX+2 [8]-14, and Shield (E) DX+2 [4]-14.
2. Flail (H) DX+1 [8]-13 and Shield (E) DX+2 [4]-14.
3. Staff (A) DX+3 [12]-15.

Secondary Skills: First Aid (E) IQ [1]-12; Hidden Lore (Demons, Spirits, or Undead), Occultism, Public Speaking, and Teaching, all (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; and Meditation (H) Will-2 [1]-12.

Background Skills: Five of Climbing or Stealth, both (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Gesture, Panhandling, or Savoir-Faire (High Society), all (E) IQ [1]-12; Research or Writing, both (A) IQ-1 [1]-11; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1]-11; Scrounging (E) Per [1]-12; or Observation or Search, both (A) Per-1 [1]-11.

* Multiplied for self-control number; see p. B120.
The main difference between this template and the core DF Cleric is that the Cleric uses spells and is more closely a 'medic'-type character, while the Priest is lacking many of the Cleric's medical skills and uses Divine Favor instead of magic. With an unlimited point budget, I'd want to give the Priest 14 IQ (same as the Cleric) and the same medical-type skills as the Cleric, or at least two levels of Healer so his medical skills would be at the same level, but I think this character would be much more effective with those points in Learned Prayers rather than medic-type skills, especially since he can take Lay On Hands as a Learned Prayer along with Flesh Wounds, allowing him to heal others at a very steady rate compared with a Cleric. I wish that Lay On Hands (Enhanced) wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is, though - it would have been perfect for a DF priest, but you'd need to about double the amount of points in Divine Favor abilities for it to be available, and that's just not a good idea on a DF character's point budget.

Any comments/questions/concerns? Anyone else been fiddling away and trying to build a suitable DF template for a Divine Favor cleric?

Last edited by Langy; 02-02-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I wish that Lay On Hands (Enhanced) wasn't anywhere near as expensive as it is, though - it would have been perfect for a DF priest, but you'd need to about double the amount of points in Divine Favor abilities for it to be available, and that's just not a good idea on a DF character's point budget.
Works as a Power-Up though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #67
gmjasongurps

is the Confidence Learned Prayer priced incorrectly?

It says its based off of Ridiculous Luck but that you can use it every 30 minutes and the math is wrong.

Should it really be based on Extraordinary Luck [30] instead?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #68
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjasongurps View Post
is the Confidence Learned Prayer [...] really based on Extraordinary Luck [30] instead?
Yes, that's a silly mistake on my part. "Ridiculous" should, of course, read "Extraordinary." If you'd be so kind as to submit that to errata@sjgames.com, I'd appreciate it.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #69
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Yes, that's a silly mistake on my part. "Ridiculous" should, of course, read "Extraordinary." If you'd be so kind as to submit that to errata@sjgames.com, I'd appreciate it.
Surely that's not just a silly mistake - it's a ridiculous one.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #70
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Surely that's not just a silly mistake - it's a ridiculous one.
Extraordinarily so.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, divine favor, powers