Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #31
Dammann

Default Re: iPad/iOS GURPS Character Sheet releasing soon - request for weird test characters

Apple might have policies that make this tougher for SJG to accept, but there could be any number of good reasons, I suppose. Much as I'd love to get an app like this, I'm very willing to give Steve Jackson the benefit of the doubt, here.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #32
Ts_

Default Re: iPad/iOS GURPS Character Sheet releasing soon - request for weird test characters

While I don't have an iOS thingy, I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this decision by SJGames.

@Dan_McCurdy:
Have you considered helping the inofficial Gurps Character Sheet? Your input might be welcome there. IIRC, SJGames approved GCS, so your work wouldn't suddenly be wasted.

Regards
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #33
Dan_McCurdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
@Dan_McCurdy:
Have you considered helping the inofficial Gurps Character Sheet? Your input might be welcome there. IIRC, SJGames approved GCS, so your work wouldn't suddenly be wasted.
Is that the Java character sheet generator ? Unfortunately I haven't really programmed in Java much since university, so I doubt I would be able to add much in the way of expertise unfortunately - I've really focused mainly on Objective C recently (as a hobby only...).

I might have a poke around over there and see if there is anything that the code I've already done could contribute - thanks for the suggestion. It'd be great to see it not be a complete waste, and give something back to the community.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan_McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #34
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I have no inside knowledge of the specifics or even the generals (except that SJ is rarely knee-jerk about stuff), but wanted to offer condolences to Dan, and thanks for being graceful about the situation.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #35
GameBuddah

This makes me very sad. I've got most of the 3rd Edition books and all but one of the hardback 4th edition books (I didn't need Vorksagan).

Gurps is a computation heavy system, and anything that can help out is greatly appreciated. It's a shame that GCA is PC Only because I'd pay for an iPad version of GCA in a heart beat.
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #36
ClayDowling

This is, sadly, one of the perils of doing work on speculation. SJGames does indicate that they have a procedure for making proposals for software. They've also made it clear that they don't really have the resources to currently manage a significant software project.

If anybody is feeling ambitious, it might be worthwhile to go through the proper channels to introduce such a project.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #37
dbm

This news really sucks :-(

I was really excited by the prospect of a GURPS iPad app!
dbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
Wraithe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
...If anybody is feeling ambitious, it might be worthwhile to go through the proper channels to introduce such a project.
Yeah, that's more what I'm curious about - if I (Or say, someone with better coding experience) contacted SJG and said "Hi, I want to write GCA/GCS for iPad, feature for feature, would that be cool?"

It strikes me the aforementioned iPad app had some features they weren't gonna approve - witnessed by SJG reportedly saying "No, don't write that."
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #39
Dammann

I wonder how possible it would be for the OP to address SJG's concerns? Is the whole concept something that SJG wants to avoid? Is the timing bad somehow? Is there a particular feature that is objectionable? Is it just that this was gonna be free, and potentially compete with GCA? Does SJG have a history of bad experiences with previous iOS apps?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #40
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
I wonder how possible it would be for the OP to address SJG's concerns? Is the whole concept something that SJG wants to avoid? Is the timing bad somehow? Is there a particular feature that is objectionable? Is it just that this was gonna be free, and potentially compete with GCA? Does SJG have a history of bad experiences with previous iOS apps?
Speculating on these kinds of things is counterproductive. I'm sure that SJGames has concerns; I'm sure that if they wanted to address them directly or publicly they'd have done so.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e, ios, ipad, iphone, ipod