Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #291
David Johnston2

Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Another complication could occur if the Homeline author decides that their alternatives deserve a piece of the pie (or otherwise decides that they are legitimate human beings that deserve autonomy and respect). Or if the widow of a Homeline author (who would be the legal heir) decides that she wants her husband back (and decides that the successful alternative is good enough).
Not very complicated really. It's not that difficult to funnel money to an outworlder as long as there's an active Homeline trading operation there. You could pretend they're buying distribution rights in the Fourth Reich, or optioning the works for film adaptation in Hong Kong. In fact I have an idea for an entire non-profit organization dedicated to selling offworld books humble bundle style and funnelling a percentage back to the true authors. Note incidentally that as far as physical books go, it's a perfectly feasible (and the most likely) option to actually buy the books and ship them back for resale. You just have to pay a royalty to the local counterpart to the author.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 12-07-2017 at 04:01 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #292
cptbutton

Now I am picturing a artistically acclaimed but poor artist who tries to go crosstime to murder their rich sellout counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Not very complicated really. It's not that difficult to funnel money to an outworlder as long as there's an active Homeline trading operation there. You could pretend they're buying distribution rights in the Fourth Reich, or optioning the works for film adaptation in Hong Kong. In fact I have an idea for an entire non-profit organization dedicated to selling offworld books humble bundle style and funnelling a percentage back to the true authors. Note incidentally that as far as physical books go, it's a perfectly feasible (and the most likely) option to actually buy the books and ship them back for resale. You just have to pay a royalty to the local counterpart to the author.
I used something like this in my In Nomine Heavenly location The Money Laundry.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #293
PTTG

How about a worldline where middle-ages Europe had different marriage rules that favored consolidation of states, eventually leading to a mostly centralized power system. This whole arrangement turns inward and decadent, leading to a stagnant, isolationist period for centuries.

The value here is that the cultures of Turtle Island are untouched by the Europeans, and the practices that were lost are still around, let alone the languages and technologies.

Homeline scholars would find it fascinating, and First Nations from Homeline would have an unusual opportunity to recover a lot of lost history.

Fun complications would include assembling a team to do subtle anthropology without interfering. Not to avoid shifting the timeline, but rather to protect the anthropological value of the people.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #294
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The value here is that the cultures of Turtle Island are untouched by the Europeans, and the practices that were lost are still around, let alone the languages and technologies.
Did you mean this Turtle Island, or another one?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #295
(E)

The parallel Struggle-1 has heavier gravity and thinner atmosphere than homeline. Recently several inhabitants have been recruited to compete in athletic events.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #296
Flyndaran
Untagged

I would imagine almost the opposite making sense. It's a perfect world for athletes to train in. Or just tourists taking an exercise vacation.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #297
AlexanderHowl

Permian-9 is a parallel Earth in Q7 where the Permian extinction did not occur, allowing for the continuation of the 95% of species that went extinct during the Great Dying of Homeline. Without the Permian extinction, life took many strange turns, with the animals and plants of Permian-9 developing tens of thousands of poisons and toxins unique to the timeline. According to the star charts and the geology of Permian-9, the local year in 2017, though the environment appears to be something from the distant past.

The dominant species of Permian-9 is an anthropomorphic race of sapient humanoid psychic tortoises that have developed a TL4 civilization. After it was discovered thirteen years ago, the I-Cops sealed the coordinates, but the Yakuza managed get the coordinates from the Japanese government and have been using the poisons and toxins of Permian-9 to create a large array of designer drugs that they sell across the timelines. The Yakuza have developed a working relationship with the inhabitants of the Japanese Archipelago within Permian-9, whom they call the Kappa, and trade archaic armor and weapons made from TL9 materials for the poisons and toxins that the Kappa harvest from their cultivated crops.

The Yakuza make sure to wear containment suits when they visit Permian-9 because the pollen from the cultivated crops of the Kappa is hallucinogenic to humans. In addition, there are so many toxins in the food and water that they would suffer liver and kidney within days if they attempted to drink or to eat anything provided by the Kappa, who are immune to the majority of the poisons and toxins of Permian-9. The Kappa forgive the Yakuza for their weaknesses, as they value the armor and weapons that the Yakuza provide them in trade for their cultivated crops.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:57 PM   #298
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The dominant species of Permian-9 is an anthropomorphic race of sapient humanoid psychic tortoises that have developed a TL4 civilization.
Cowabunga!
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #299
Flyndaran
Untagged

At least making it a collection of plant extracts from a radically alien ecosystem side steps the issue of why Homeliners don't just grow their own after initial discovery.
Well you could, if you knew exactly what fungal, bacterial, soil, etc. life it needs and can get those growing on your plot.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #300
(E)

Agribusiness involves huge money and while relatively mundane the acquisition of genetic material for cross world hybridization could easily be worth trillions of dollars. Investigating food markets, harvesting DNA from animals on wild worlds, figuring why a species can do something unknown to homeline biology.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds