Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #751
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I'm getting tired of people using non-Euclidean as a shorthand for horrific.
Blame Lovecraft, not me. Or maybe you could popularize the point by writing a best-selling RPG, "Call of Lobachevsky", or just a supplement, say "The Riemann Dossier".
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #752
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
You mean it wasn't draw on a flat, or flattish, background? I'm getting tired of people using non-Euclidean as a shorthand for horrific. The Earth is non-Euclidan, ffs. Ask any pilot.
Are you sure the word means what people think it means?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #753
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
You mean it wasn't draw on a flat, or flattish, background? I'm getting tired of people using non-Euclidean as a shorthand for horrific. The Earth is non-Euclidan, ffs. Ask any pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

The two-dimensional surface of a sphere is non-euclidean-- two seemingly parallel lines on it will intersect at two points. The corners of a triangle do not sum to 180 degrees, and the law of sines looks hilarious (you start taking the sin of a length).

Yes, non-euclidean spaces can be confusing at first-- they also can be understood-- the game portal is an exercise in human understanding of a very specialized non-euclidean space. And as someone who likes to imagine this sort of thing every so often, I find the use insulting.

Its one of the worst abuses of science in sci-fantasy (yes, lovecraft is sci-fantasy).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #754
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Don't think this has been posted here before.

BOKOR Hill Station, an abandoned Cambodian resort town
smurf has mentioned it a few times, but I think it first came up incidentally in a brief-lived thread Abandoned Man-Made Structures.

Another bucket list item.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #755
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The two-dimensional surface of a sphere is non-euclidean-- two seemingly parallel lines on it will intersect at two points. The corners of a triangle do not sum to 180 degrees, and the law of sines looks hilarious (you start taking the sin of a length).

Yes, non-euclidean spaces can be confusing at first-- they also can be understood-- the game portal is an exercise in human understanding of a very specialized non-euclidean space. And as someone who likes to imagine this sort of thing every so often, I find the use insulting.

Its one of the worst abuses of science in sci-fantasy (yes, lovecraft is sci-fantasy).
What I meant is that 'Euclidean' can also be applied to something that is volumetric (voluminous?), not flat. The surface of a sphere is a non-euclidean surface, but the sphere itself might very well be euclidean as long as it exists in a space where the angles between the segments Sol-ACentauri, Sol-ACeti, and ACentauri-ACeti (or any other three points in space) add up to 180°.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #756
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Most people don't know they're using it for "wrong" shorthand. Most people think it means impossible geometry as it pertains to our reality.

It happens whenever real specific scientific words cross over into common use.
I'm sure we all use some incorrectly, and only get huffy when others use terms we intimately understand.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #757
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:

Lovecraft hardly abused it the way people who mock his purple prose think he did.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #758
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
What I meant is that 'Euclidean' can also be applied to something that is volumetric (voluminous?), not flat. The surface of a sphere is a non-euclidean surface, but the sphere itself might very well be euclidean as long as it exists in a space where the angles between the segments Sol-ACentauri, Sol-ACeti, and ACentauri-ACeti (or any other three points in space) add up to 180°.
True, it does depend on context. Actually, a large subset of non-euclidean spaces can be understood as curves in a euclidean space of higher dimensions. The simplest non-euclidean geometry I'm aware of is the surface of the earth treated as though its flat rather than a sphere. The math for that is well established and its actually useful (for navigation).

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #759
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Lovecraft hardly abused it the way people who mock his purple prose think he did.
that may be, but it certainly inspired a great many fans who do! (my lovecraft exposure is mostly second hand.) but I'm tuning out on this subject now, at least for this thread.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #760
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, I think when he wrote it, he actually meant it. Those things were supposed to be anomalous in all sorts of ways, and this is just one way to do a spatial anomaly.

Quote:
True, it does depend on context. Actually, a large subset of non-euclidean spaces can be understood as curves in a euclidean space of higher dimensions. The simplest non-euclidean geometry I'm aware of is the surface of the earth treated as though its flat rather than a sphere. The math for that is well established and its actually useful (for navigation).
Awww, I kinda prefer the pseudosphere; more fun that way.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox