Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #1251
Johnny1A.2

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Pretty sure it was modern internet and youth fads that won the elections for that last two presidents. Sadly, more to come. Politics is like tar and will stick to anything you expose to it during an election year.
I really, really like that line. :)
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #1252
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
The Joker Grin isn't entirely fictional: there are several ways to produce a smile-like rictus in a murder victim, including strychnine and a certain poisonous flower.
Quote:
It's really just a hideous grimace vaguely reminiscent of grinning. Also all the other horrific symptoms coinciding with it kind of render the grin rather minor in comparison.
But as The Joker was a genius chemist in some iterations, it makes sense that he could have developed a poison whose primary symptoms before death was risus sardonicus and paroxysms reminiscent of laughing.
The ingredients listed in comics canon actually get you the right symptoms. As pointed out in the video, Joker's genius-level chemistry helps with some of the mixing issues one would normally encounter.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #1253
tshiggins

Quote:
Pretty sure it was modern internet and youth fads that won the elections for that last two presidents. Sadly, more to come. Politics is like tar and will stick to anything you expose to it during an election year.
I dunno. Anything that increases voter participation is, for me, a good thing.

I have no patience with anybody who would restrict the franchise, and any effort to help people make their voices heard is a good thing.

Sometimes, though, I kinda get a little surprised by the approaches. Using Pokemon to get access to 18-year-olds who might not otherwise think about voting, strikes me as particularly clever -- and indicative of how much times have changed, really.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #1254
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The pokemon stunt actually looks cleaner than many things that could be done: its seems to actually be about introducing politics at a venue rather than pure publicity. And I say that as someone who dislikes Clinton.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #1255
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Sometimes, though, I kinda get a little surprised by the approaches. Using Pokemon to get access to 18-year-olds who might not otherwise think about voting, strikes me as particularly clever -- and indicative of how much times have changed, really.
Speaking of voting, Pokemon and Real-Life Weirdness:

Russian Dooma is considering legislation that would restrict pokemon-catching in RF. Not quite sure why they care - seems to be related to some sort of misrepresenting outrage in the media.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #1256
Anders

Woman comes home to find pole-dancing koala.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #1257
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The pokemon stunt actually looks cleaner than many things that could be done: its seems to actually be about introducing politics at a venue rather than pure publicity. And I say that as someone who dislikes Clinton.
I wouldn't want to get blindsided with anyone lurking in "my game". But my social anxiety makes the very game itself difficult to even try.
Still, if politics has a right to invade literally every part of public life, I can see a simple walk around town getting much less free and comfortable. Imagine replacing major political groups with religious proselytizers, KKK proponents, or any other group you really don't want to see.
Comes off a bit too Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, creepy to me if taken to its likely extreme
Old 07-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #1258
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The ingredients listed in comics canon actually get you the right symptoms. As pointed out in the video, Joker's genius-level chemistry helps with some of the mixing issues one would normally encounter.
That would work kind of work if nitrous oxide aka laughing gas actually made one laugh. It doesn't. I had no effect on me other than to make dental work painless. And the doctor talking to me as if he expected my IQ to have halved. Slight sense of disassociation, but that was it. Good try though, especially from comic book authors that often mess up gradeschool science worse than American politicians. ;)
Old 07-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #1259
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I really, really like that line. :)
Thank you. My medication regime change is making my mind go in odd directions, linguistically and emotionally.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #1260
alexondria

Quote:
I wouldn't want to get blindsided with anyone lurking in "my game". But my social anxiety makes the very game itself difficult to even try.
Still, if politics has a right to invade literally every part of public life, I can see a simple walk around town getting much less free and comfortable. Imagine replacing major political groups with religious proselytizers, KKK proponents, or any other group you really don't want to see.
Comes off a bit too Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, creepy to me if taken to its likely extreme
Well it's not so much lurking in the game as using the game to draw you to real world locations. There is nothing to stop any group from setting up in a public place where they can get the proper permits if they are needed that happens to be at a pokey stop and putting out a lure to draw people. That's where being aware of your surroundings comes in. If it's 2 in the morning and the lure is down a dark alley- it may not be in your best interests to go there. If it's mid afternoon and you arrive to see a political candidate prepping to give a speech you aren't interested then it may be in your best interest to go catch pokemon somewhere else. There are stops all over the place and stops near businesses often have lures going as it gets them foot traffic which means more sales.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox