Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #1
Erling

Default Being a member of a rival nation

A character is a member of a nation or a race viciously hated by all (or almost all) members of another nation or race.

He's not actively nor personally hunted, in this case he would have an Enemy disadvantage.
He's not a member of his nation's military nor intelligence, in this case he would have a Duty disadvantage (mild or extremely hazardous).
He's not merely disliked, in this case he would have a negative Reputation or, more possibly, some sort of Social Stigma.
He'll be attacked (either lethally or with the aim of imprisonment) by the members of a rival nation, but only if he encounters them (unless it's some sort of neutral territory bith the ban on hostile actions).

How to represent this in GURPS? I think it's a Social Stigma of sorts, with a limitation based on probability of running into members of a hostile nation.

Let's assume that it does hinder character's adventuring, while his comrades don't suffer from that nation's anymosity. That's why it should be a disadvantage and not merely a setting convention.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Michele

Default Re: Being a member of a rival nation

There's a Social Stigma that is more than a general dislike towards that class of people, or a set of social limitations. It's Monster. You are liable to be attacked on sight, because you are hated and feared. If that is what will happen when the members of the relevant group are met (which seems to be the case, if they want at least to capture, if not to kill him, regardless of anything), then there you have it.
Of course, if the campaign is set in the relevant country, take the Disadvantage as it is. If not, reduce the point value by Frequency of Appearance.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

I would use Social Stigma for this. "Despised Foe" sounds like it's worth -15 points, comparable to "Monstrous". If it doesn't actually apply to everyone, but rather only a limited selection of the people that the despised character is likely to meet, I'd use the "People Affected" modifiers from Reputation (p. B27). So, the character who's the target of the hatred would take Social Stigma (Despised Foe), and if you decide that the other nation/race that has the hatred for them constitutes a "large class" of people, you'd divide the cost of the disadvantage by 2, for a final value of -7.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
A character is a member of a nation or a race viciously hated by all (or almost all) members of another nation or race.

He's not actively nor personally hunted, in this case he would have an Enemy disadvantage.
He's not a member of his nation's military nor intelligence, in this case he would have a Duty disadvantage (mild or extremely hazardous).
He's not merely disliked, in this case he would have a negative Reputation or, more possibly, some sort of Social Stigma.
He'll be attacked (either lethally or with the aim of imprisonment) by the members of a rival nation, but only if he encounters them (unless it's some sort of neutral territory bith the ban on hostile actions).

How to represent this in GURPS? I think it's a Social Stigma of sorts, with a limitation based on probability of running into members of a hostile nation.

Let's assume that it does hinder character's adventuring, while his comrades don't suffer from that nation's anymosity. That's why it should be a disadvantage and not merely a setting convention.
He's got a racial Enemy. = An enemy doesn't have to be actively looking for you. They just have show up at intervals and when they see you they automatically want to do you as much harm as they can get away with.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Black Leviathan

Unless his nation of origin is obvious at sight he has a Secret and if he fails to keep it it would turn into a beefy Social Stigma.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
jason taylor

Quote:

Summing up, he is a victim of racism per se, not simply shot at because he wears a uniform?

I'd call that Social Stigma Foreigner: (specific to X).
Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
Erling

Alright, thanks for the answers. Social Stigma (Monster) indeed was the one I viewed as the most suitable starting point, with minor renaming, redifinition and limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
He's got a racial Enemy. = An enemy doesn't have to be actively looking for you. They just have show up at intervals and when they see you they automatically want to do you as much harm as they can get away with.
Yes, but by the rules Enemy is after you personally. Or maybe you refer to some "Racial Enemy" modification I don't know about.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:

Yes, but by the rules Enemy is after you personally.
If when people notice you are there they immediately try to kill you if they can get away with it, that IS personal. Realistically of course that degree of universal and automatic enmity isn't going to exist, but it's what you asked for.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
If when people notice you are there they immediately try to kill you if they can get away with it, that IS personal. Realistically of course that degree of universal and automatic enmity isn't going to exist, but it's what you asked for.
I think part of Enemy is not merely that they will kill you (or thwart you or watch you, depending on the limitations) if they come upon you, but they are actively seeking you out to kill (/thwart/watch) you (i.e., they will show up in the adventure given the frequency of appearance, irrespective of whether you are doing anything to draw their attention). If the nation's secret service is rounding up everyone of your origin, or even if there are mobs of civilians trying to ferret them out, I would say that qualifies for Enemy; if you run the risk of being lynched if you walk into a bar, but there's no one hunting you down if you lie low and keep out of sight, I'd call that (a high level of) Social Stigma.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I think part of Enemy is not merely that they will kill you (or thwart you or watch you, depending on the limitations) if they come upon you, but they are actively seeking you out to kill (/thwart/watch) you (i.e., they will show up in the adventure given the frequency of appearance, irrespective of whether you are doing anything to draw their attention). If the nation's secret service is rounding up everyone of your origin, or even if there are mobs of civilians trying to ferret them out, I would say that qualifies for Enemy; if you run the risk of being lynched if you walk into a bar, but there's no one hunting you down if you lie low and keep out of sight, I'd call that (a high level of) Social Stigma.
I think, while that's normally true, you could safely use Enemy for an enemy group you merely passively encounter...so long as you cannot then make choices to avoid such encounters.