Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #51
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Realistic Pokémon-style GURPS mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
But magic can have scientific laws is as in fantasy it was reproducible on demand. Heck even when it isn't you can come up with laws as on how people think magic works in our world: Authentic Thaumaturgy

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood's Law of Equivalent Exchange is akin to our our law of thermodynamics - you can't create something from nothing.
I agree, that was part of my point, learn the science of the setting instead of trying to apply what we know IRL because of science to the setting.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #52
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I agree, that was part of my point, learn the science of the setting instead of trying to apply what we know IRL because of science to the setting.
The problem with that is there is no science of the setting. Pokémon isn’t a setting where Game Freak’s design team sat down and created rules for how reality works. It’s a setting where it was all kinda made up as they went (it’s a video game for children, after all). That’s a perfectly legitimate way to do things if you want to play fast-and-loose with realism, but falls apart if you try to come up with some sort of unified science for it (largely because you’ll inevitably have things that contradict).
Old 11-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #53
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The problem with that is there is no science of the setting. Pokémon isn’t a setting where Game Freak’s design team sat down and created rules for how reality works. It’s a setting where it was all kinda made up as they went (it’s a video game for children, after all). That’s a perfectly legitimate way to do things if you want to play fast-and-loose with realism, but falls apart if you try to come up with some sort of unified science for it (largely because you’ll inevitably have things that contradict).
Just because GF didn't come up with the rules doesn't mean those rules don't exist. And contradictions often mean more complicated rules, which is exactly how reality works (where what we thought were contradictions were actually result of having too simple of ideas of how things work).

Plus, it's not like any given setting completely throws out anything we know of reality. Gravity does still exist even if the world isn't necessarily round.

On the note of the topic, you bring up a good point, too. Being fast-and-loose with the rules is the best way to approach Pokemon in particular. Otherwise you end up losing the feel of Pokemon in one way or another.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:48 AM   #54
Juninater

Why the extra arguments about children's play? First of all, it is most important that the players are comfortable. Games are made for users, and their satisfaction is paramount. I have been fond of Pokemon since childhood and even played a few games, but I can't say that they impressed me. I like to collect anime figures or merch more. This week I plan to buy cards on https://visualst.ca/collections/graded-cards. Recently, many online anime paraphernalia stores have appeared, but not so many of them work responsibly and quickly. In any case, it is hardly possible to choose a setting that will suit everyone.

Last edited by Juninater; 09-22-2022 at 12:23 AM.
Juninater is offline   Reply With Quote