Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
tiochaota

Default cleric

first of all i have to say this game is awesome! makes army life much much easier to pass!

so i got a questions, please bear with me, this questions is probably answered but i still dont quite understand,

so cleric's resurrection says ( from what i understand) skip the door kicking, may take the cards from discard pile, then discard the amount you take, so to say there is 3 clerics in the game, all 3 is beside each other, divine intervention is overturned by a warrior ( he ends turn after ddrawing the 2nd door), the clerics all gain a level, now is the first cleric's turn, he skips the door kicking and takes the divine intervention via resurrection, levels again, and the second cleric's turn, does it again, and all 3 cleric's level again, and then the 3rd cleric does the same thing, they level 4 times in a row, is that legal? because i dont quite understand the "ability". is my scenario correct?
tiochaota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
SmokeRulz

Default Re: cleric

First off, to clarify, the Cleric's Resurrection ability doesn't HAVE to be used specifically on the Kick Down the Door phase. It can be used at any point you'd draw a face-up card(s). You also aren't actually skipping the door kicking, you're just replacing the door you would have drawn with the top discard instead. So don't get too confused there.

As for your actual question, assuming Divine Intervention is the card on top of the discard, yes you could Resurrect it and gain its effects. The Clerics that come after you could also do so, but only if Divine Intervention is still on top of the discards at that point. If you discard anything else to the Door deck during your turn after using Divine, then it will get covered up.

Wait for an official ruling on this one, of course. It's possible that because of Divine Intervention's immediate effect, your discard cost may come afterward, which would cover the card up right after using it, so the next two Clerics wouldn't be able to resurrect it.
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Bampop

If you make sure to discard a Treasure as the cost, you shouldn't have a problem keeping DI on top if the door discards as long as no one else plays a Curse! or interferes in some other way.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Clipper

This does seem legal, but there is a way to stop any of them from doing it. Discard your Race, Class or Hireling to cover up Divine Intervention. You can do any of these actions at any time, even when it's not your turn. If you can find some other legal way to discard a Door card (e.g., playing a non-continuing Curse or a theft attempt if you're a Thief), that's good too.

And Bampop, even if the Clerics are choosing to discard Doors, they can manage it. A ruling the other day made it clear that Divine Intervention would be discarded at the same time as the discard cost the Cleric pays, and given it's the Cleric's turn, they can put Divine Intervention on top of the discards.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
wildbreloom

Sorry I am trying to catch up on old posts so I can ask questions without being repetitive and I came across this one. I was playing last night and the Cleric card said they can take some or all of the top of the discard pile and discard that many cards out of their hand.

We had a Cleric who would keep getting the divine intervention card by resurrecting down the three cards that it was buried under. (We were only playing three players so it was hard to bury it deeper than his hand had cards.)

However as I read this post I see that some people are saying Cleric can only take the top card. Is this true?
wildbreloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You cannot resurrect more cards than you are able to draw at that time.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
wildbreloom

So how does that look specifically? We have been playing this way: A cleric who has five cards in his hand and knows he wants one card that is buried three deep in the discard can grab the top three cards and then discard three cards from his original hand. He then picks one of those cards to play face up and continues his turn as normal. Is that right?
Old 07-16-2017, 01:22 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbreloom View Post
So how does that look specifically? We have been playing this way: A cleric who has five cards in his hand and knows he wants one card that is buried three deep in the discard can grab the top three cards and then discard three cards from his original hand. He then picks one of those cards to play face up and continues his turn as normal. Is that right?
If the cleric is supposed to draw one face-up card, she can choose instead to draw the top face-up card from the discards, and then discard one card to pay for this resurrection ability. You cannot resurrect a bunch of cards to get to the one that you want. You resurrect exactly and only as many cards as you are entitled to draw at that time.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
wildbreloom

I think I finally get it. I think the confusion on the card comes from the text "when it is time for you to draw cards face up you may instead take some or all from the top of the appropriate discard pile. You must then discard one card from your hand for your hand for each card so drawn"

So my group thought you could take as many cards as you had in your hand but what I understand you saying now is you can take as many cards as you're allowed to in that specific moment. So if you were looting the room you're only allowed one card, if you beat a monster with help and it was worth four treasure you could take the four from atop the treasure discards. Thanks for your help and patience, hopefully I am now correct but if my examples are still wrong please let me know.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
Brf

"Loot the Room" is Face-down, so a cleric would not be able to resurrect that.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote