Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default September 9, 2017: Jerry Pournelle

September 9, 2017: Jerry Pournelle

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 05:04 AM   #2
rknop

Default Re: September 9, 2017: Jerry Pournelle

That's sad.

Mote in God's Eye has at times been my favorite novel. (Right now, I typically list A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge as my favorite novel. Unsurprisingly, it bears some similarities in theme and tone to Mote in God's Eye.)

Back in grad school, I went on a Pournelle kick and read a lot of his stuff. (I also had an Asimov kick and a Niven kick.) Around the same time, I would sometimes hang around on the message boards on GEnie, one of the online services alongside CompuServ and such that would within a couple of years become irrelevant thanks to the Internet and the Web. (Now, of course, we've come full circle to the Internet being just the platform for massive all-encompassing walled gardens like Facebook. It's so sad.) There was a "Jerry Pournelle" area on GEnie, with a handful of message boards there that I was active on for a little while. He was an interesting man.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
Magesmiley

Default Re: September 9, 2017: Jerry Pournelle

And this is news that saddens me greatly. After being a voracious reader for over 40 years, The Mote in God's Eye has stood as my favorite book of all since I first discovered it in my twenties. I've read a number of Jerry Pournelle's other works as well, and it gives me pause to realize that there will be no further works from this memorable writer.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote