Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #21
Disliker of the mary sue

Default Re: Gaming disasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
More like douche-speak for, "that's what actually happened but I don't want my plot ruined, so instead I'll distract everyone with insults."
What even more stupid is he claimed that only smart people can come up with conspiries. I even brought up that there are a lot of people who are..not smart who think up conspirices because of...mental issues but no he beleives that some smart peson just puts those ideas in there mind rather then the damaged human mind connecting things that don't really connect.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:11 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Reminds me of a GM that was both painfully arrogant and suffered low self esteem. It lead to some unexpected combinations of annoying behavior.

Conspiracies just mean more than one person working together out of sight of others. It doesn't require intricate multi-layered Illuminati level machinations to be a conspiracy.
The 9/11 terroristic attack was a painfully simple and sadly effective conspiracy after all. Would he say that no conspiracists would fail to learn how to land when taking flying lessons like they did?
Old 07-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
(E)

My worst disaster cost me a player. Moari player and a psuedo Spanish knight as a character. Completely blanked on the name for the character. In the end "George" was selected. The problem is when George is said in Spanish it is phoneticly almost identical to a moari racial slur . . .

Edit
Just to be absolutely clear this was completely unintentional

Last edited by (E); 07-22-2016 at 05:00 PM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Once in a game of what I guess is called free kriegspiel which we always called "tellstory", us player characters were various adventurers on a ship.

The fighter found the thief sleeping in the luggage area and went straight to attacking him on the assumption that he was only there to steal the stuff. There was nothing marking him as a thief, just a cat-person sleeping by the crates of various junk. First player-player interaction didn't really bode well.

The ship got attacked by a kracken. For a few turns I and some of the other characters attacked its tentacles with our swords, but the monster eventually just smashed the ship.

I woke up on a beach naked. The female mage or cleric (I don't remember which she was) was still fully clothed and her luggage washed up close to her, so she let me borrow one of her dresses. Being a ranger, I naturally went with a green one and I was the rugged kind of guy enough to shrug off any embarrassment over the affair.

She wound up running into a tribe of halflings a little inland whose giant cauldron of soup wound up tipping over somehow. They said they wanted someone who was "strong for the pot" and she thought they meant they wanted someone strong to help them lift it; actually they wanted meat of a strong animal to eat, leading to them capturing and almost killing me when she pointed me out. I kept calm and everyone but her player immediately considered this a reasonable in-character misunderstanding as well as out of character.

I demonstrated to these savages how to use baiting techniques to get progressively bigger fish, until they could work up to something even bigger and more muscly than me: sharks!

Things went sour when one player reacted with offense to me taking a leadership role and giving out tasks to do to help us prepare for dealing with the giant snake that inhabited the island. He immediately ran off on his own and befriended a spider monkey, refusing to interact with any other PCs ever just because we didn't ask him if he wanted to join us as a party member when we saved him from being eaten by cannibals.

Kept going for a bit but ultimately the end of the story is that we confronted the snake, he ate everyone except the female player character (getting to the loner guy before the confrontation), then she and the local tribesmen all ran away and sailed to a different island to live out the rest of their days.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #25
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Now I'm in Hell (why?) and a demon tells me that I can burn forever . . . or . . . I can be returned to life if I swear to serve Ken's anti-paladin. I look at Mark and say, "I refuse. Guess I'm being tortured."
This just reminded me of a Vampire: The Masquerade character I made once. Since I'm not a fan of vampires, I wound up creating a tortured soul who didn't exactly welcome becoming a monster, and realized quickly that the most in-character action would be sunbathing.

Of course, that wasn't a GM problem, but just being in a genre I didn't care for.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post

Of course, that wasn't a GM problem, but just being in a genre I didn't care for.
Which can be a disaster in and of itself. we're all here to have fun. A GM who doesn't understand that a player will fail at a specific genre has a problem.

One of my least favorite problems ever, but I'm coming around to the idea that the hardest part of GMing is social.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #27
Disliker of the mary sue

To blow off more steam about that one guy I keep complaining about, I remeber when he was a player with his immortal kitsune charecter, ooc he claimed that the lady of pain could not kill him......I know not everyone like the lady of pain complete invincibilty, but I think regardless we can all agree as a party of lv 1 charecter that sort of talk is just asking for trouble.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #28
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Her solution should be to send him to a stupidly large maze for 9,001 years.

Tags
bad experince, disasters, noflame, nopersonal.