Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 AM   #41
Anders

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

I liked it, so it must be good.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #42
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
It doesn't in my copy. Clerical Investment, Religous Rank, and True Faith, yes; but not Power Investiture.
Nonetheless, the mentioned section of GURPS Fantasy by roquebfl, Man Proposes, God Disposes (p.F148) is good and suitable by being related to the approach of GURPS Powers: Divine Favor, along with Prayer (p.F149), Sacred Places (p.F149) and Miracles (p.F151). However, the section on Sacrificial Magic in p.F165 could have been linked, in some way, with the reaction roll mechanics for prayers. The same is true for GURPS Thaumatology in its section about Sacrifices (p.T54-58).
. . .Along the same lines, GURPS Thaumatology adds the Power Investiture level, along with +2 for both True Faith and Blessed, for a holy person trying to sanctify a space by making a reaction roll to the deity, which "involves a great deal of prayer, appealing directly to the deity for his blessing." (p.T69)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
I miss the inclusion of threats to the god's plans in the category of "serious situations", too, in which the god would be more willing to act than usual: is far from uncommon for an "interventionist deity" to have goals, plans and even some especially dear objects and places that the god wants to protect, like important relics and shrines
Since a very small part of this was very slightly addressed in GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Thaumatology . . .

"-3 if on cursed ground (unless it is cursed because of pollution and the prayer is for vengeance on the polluters!)" (GURPS Fantasy, p.148)

"The GM may apply a modifier from -4 to +4 if he feels that the reasons for the plea are especially weak or convincing." (GURPS Thaumatology, p.69)

. . . I expected at least something a bit more developed in GURPS Powers: Divine Favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I want to combine Sermonize with whatever we get from GURPS Social Engineering.
That is going to work, I assure it: you might have a Bernard of Clairvaux, who, due to his powers of persuasion, made his biographer say that "he was the terror of mothers and wives; friends were afraid of seeing him to approach their friends."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
The thing I love most about this is how it makes i much easier to point to a difference between a mage and a cleric. For too long, a cleric was basically "a mage with healing spells".
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
(. . .) I'd like to point out that it's not modeled on just the Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric!
Yes, that is enough clear just by reading the PDF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
(. . .) Whether your goal is to empower flashy Dungeon Fantasy clerics (. . .)
Since you are saying this, I want to add that a succinct mention of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy in this PDF would have been interesting.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #43
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
But to me what makes it cool is that it is close a real world cleric. A cleric of Islam, Hindu, and Christian religions would all be fun to play.
And that's exactly what I was saying. I tried to make this as "realistic" a take on holy powers as possible, from the perspective of people who believe in flagrant miracles (of any real-world faith).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Any good?
Well, I certainly think so. :)

(Actually, in all seriousness, I am rather proud of this little book. I think the crunchiness and flavor can both stand up against any other similar supplement. I'm even in the middle of using Lulu to make a printed copy for myself -- made a cover and everything.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #44
Langy

I rather like this book. I just bought it and am almost finished building a Cleric with it for a Dungeon Fantasy game. I think he'll be quite excellent in-play, and will definitely feel different from any mages/etc we'll have, which I think is a very important thing in my opinion. It's pretty easy to turn a DF Cleric into a Divine-Favorified version, too - just knock him back a few IQ levels, toss out all his spells and Power Investiture, and run with it.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #45
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
And that's exactly what I was saying. I tried to make this as "realistic" a take on holy powers as possible, from the perspective of people who believe in flagrant miracles (of any real-world faith).
I thhink you have started a dangerous trend now that you have tried to make clerics seem "realistic," now we will need some revisions on other spell casting classes like witches, druids and different types of wizards.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #46
dataweaver

"Started"? Fans have been looking for this sort of thing as far back as the publication of GURPS Voodoo: the Shadow War. The Ritual Magic system (now Path/Book Magic) was originally created with this in mind.

I'm still hoping for a Thaumatology supplement that does for Path/Book Magic what Martial Arts did for personal combat.

Last edited by dataweaver; 01-30-2011 at 11:17 PM.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #47
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
witches,
GURPS Thaumatology's Spirit Mediated Magic
Quote:
druids
Historical druids are specifically addressed in the Roma Arcana setting GURPS Fantasy
Quote:
An and different types of wizards.
Isn't that the entire point of 30% of Fantasy and all of Thaumatology?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #48
demonsbane

Quote:
now we will need some revisions on other spell casting classes like (. . .) druids
Thaumatology already addressed "druidic magic", updating to GURPS 4e the rules from GURPS Celtic Myth.

On the other hand, mythological druids in the Irish texts sometimes were so powerful that their magic could be handled with magic as powers, too. But under that angle, they weren't very different than gods (some Celtic gods were druids), demigods, and in some way such approach isn't really absent in Celtic Myth -remember the relations of this book with GURPS Supers.

Quote:
(. . .) we will need some revisions on other spell casting classes like witches, (. . .) and different types of wizards.
Isn't that already covered? Pick Middle Ages remnants of real world grimoires and you'll see formulas for specific effects, conjurations and ceremonies, which to my mind are in line with the "standard" GURPS Magic approach of spells as skills. Thaumatology updated even the magic system of GURPS Cabal, for those who want a more modern and recognizable occultist flavour.

Quote:
"Started"? (. . .)
I agree. Good point.

Quote:
"Started"? (. . .) I'm still hoping for a Thaumatology supplement that does for Path/Book Magic what Martial Arts did for personal combat.
For different approaches, definitely Path/Book magic could be further developed.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+
Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 AM   #49
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonsbane View Post
For different approaches, definitely Path/Book magic could be further developed.
I'd love to see more Books, especially more mundane texts as secret wisdom like the example Deeper Principia.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 AM   #50
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I rather like this book. I just bought it and am almost finished building a Cleric with it for a Dungeon Fantasy game. I think he'll be quite excellent in-play, and will definitely feel different from any mages/etc we'll have, which I think is a very important thing in my opinion. It's pretty easy to turn a DF Cleric into a Divine-Favorified version, too - just knock him back a few IQ levels, toss out all his spells and Power Investiture, and run with it.
Good to know.

Nonetheless, despite the coolness of this book and of the miracles as powers approach, I wouldn't be really interested in substituting the current and "standard" approach of clerical magic as spells for these kinds of gaming styles.

I'd love to see optional ways and ideas for tweaking Dungeon Fantasy templates, but not so much in substituting the way in which it's working currently. (Yes, I like magic as spells and spells as skills.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
GURPS Thaumatology's Spirit Mediated Magic
Historical druids are specifically addressed in the Roma Arcana setting GURPS Fantasy Isn't that the entire point of 30% of Fantasy and all of Thaumatology?
This.

Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Tags
clerics, divine favor, powers