Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
The Colonel

Default Re: The One Ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti
Personally, I'd stat the One Ring as an enemy. What with the Afflictions and the Mind Control, a rather nasty one.
Perhaps a character in its own right? After all, its an ally to Sauron... and probably, in the short term at least, to anyone on his side.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #12
Wedhro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Hm. Funnily enough, this sort of works well if the ring is a gadget Unwilling Ally, always defined as a percentage of the wearing chararacter's points.
Neat!
The One Ring should be an Ally with Unwilling, Special Abilities (all of them should be Uncontrollable, IMO) and suitable Gadget limitations.
Uncontrollable (defined as mischievous intelligence, as for Powers, p.106) should be fine to represent both the Bearer's compulsion to use the ring and the tragic outcome of its usage.
The special abilities granted by the Ring could be Modular Abilities with Cosmic Power.
The more I think about it, the more it seems a pretty tricky task...
I have no idea about how to simulate the growing influence on Bearer's mind and soul, not to mention the Ring's "addiction"...

Last edited by Wedhro; 12-11-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Wedhro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #13
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedhro
I have no idea about how to simulate the growing influence on Bearer's mind and soul, not to mention the Ring's "addiction"...
What about giving the "Unwilling Ally" a "TD: Destiny (Will fall under the influence of the ring and turn to evil, -15%)"?

I like the idea to stat the Ring as a NPC, esp. as an Unwilling Ally with a fluctuating CP total, very much. Very neat!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #14
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Neat!
The One Ring should be an Ally with Unwilling, Special Abilities (all of them should be Uncontrollable, IMO) and suitable Gadget limitations.
Uncontrollable (defined as mischievous intelligence, as for Powers, p.106) should be fine to represent both the Bearer's compulsion to use the ring and the tragic outcome of its usage.
The special abilities granted by the Ring could be Modular Abilities with Cosmic Power.
The more I think about it, the more it seems a pretty tricky task...
Giving Uncontrollable to the Ring's abilities would mean it coudln't use them at will, which is pretty strange... or is it so evil that it ultimately acts even against itself? ;-)
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
jason taylor

The Ring can be thought of as a DVD into which Sauron downloads his power and malice.
That is why it seems to have it's own personality. Sauron programed it to do so and it can act independantly of it's original programer just like a DVD can.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:53 AM   #16
Wedhro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Giving Uncontrollable to the Ring's abilities would mean it coudln't use them at will, which is pretty strange... or is it so evil that it ultimately acts even against itself? ;-)
Not really... Actually, you're talking about Unconscious Only.
Uncontrollable doesn't make the ability unusable at will. You can use them freely, but when you're experiencing a stressfull situation (self-control rolls, fright checks, HT rolls for major wounds etc.), you must roll versus your Will: if you fail, the ability turns on and acts at its own will!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 AM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor
The Ring can be thought of as a DVD into which Sauron downloads his power and malice.
That is why it seems to have it's own personality. Sauron programed it to do so and it can act independantly of it's original programer just like a DVD can.
But is it region free? And does it come with cool commentaries and "Making of..." features?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #18
Akahige
Banned

Ok, so it's an Unwilling Ally, possibly with Uncontrollable powers. But what does it do exactly? Does it grant Magery? Or is it perhaps Modular Abilities (Cosmic Power) with a focus on the personality and/or Talents of the user?
Akahige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #19
JAW

Well Obviously it giwes invisibility and unaging to anyone. I think it doesn't grant magery - rather it would grant additional powers to those with magery. It also giwes enemy - sauron - whose power depends on how powerful sauron is at the time - ranging from minor spirit (at the time Bilbo got the ring) to the ultimate adversary (for LoTR).. Also it woul dforce will rolls each time it's used and occasionally ewen if it's not used modified negatively by the bearers magery & general power level wich could result in the bearer "becoming evil" (make the bearer an NPC and/or rearrange his/her/it's psychological disadvantages dramatically.)
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #20
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
What about giving the "Unwilling Ally" a "TD: Destiny (Will fall under the influence of the ring and turn to evil, -15%)"?

I like the idea to stat the Ring as a NPC, esp. as an Unwilling Ally with a fluctuating CP total, very much. Very neat!
Hahaha, "temporary destiny", now there's something I never thought I'd see. Understand where you're coming from, just thought it was funny.
Quote:
Not really... Actually, you're talking about Unconscious Only.
Uncontrollable doesn't make the ability unusable at will. You can use them freely, but when you're experiencing a stressfull situation (self-control rolls, fright checks, HT rolls for major wounds etc.), you must roll versus your Will: if you fail, the ability turns on and acts at its own will!
This is why I'd prefer to see "Unconscious Only" renamed "Uncontrollable" and "Uncontrollable" renamed "Irrepressible". But that's a thought for a different thread. walks off, mumbling about "Honesty"...
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote