Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #891
Dr. Beckenstein

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
Saddam Hussein, as you may know, had a Quran printed in his own blood. He also had his name inscribed in the bricks used for the reconstruction of Nebuchadnezzar's city of Babylon. In real life, it is pretty obviously narcissism and megalomania. In an RPG setting though, it seems like a desperate magical gambit. Maybe trying to use nationalistic magic or cause a reality quake that unearths Haroun al-Rashad's Baghdad (whether it ill be full of History-B irruptors or not, who can say.) It actually seems like the sort of thing a lunatic leader of a rogue state might do as part of an Esoterror plot.
Further inspiration for this idea can be found in this novel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mir...8Ruff_novel%29

Very weird, but very good.
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #892
RogerBW

The more likely origin of the Blood Quran seems to be blood taken from prisoners who were being tortured and killed. (There would certainly be no shortage of them.) Which implies a "blood of my enemies" sort of sympathetic black magic, analogous to burying a dead Viking under one's hearthstone.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:13 AM   #893
Polydamas

Are you hoping that the horrors which you fight are susceptible to physical destruction? Has the shortage of Great War surplus and the closing of Bannerman's made you think "but where can I get a flamethrower these days?" Don't settle for an aerosol can and a dollar store lighter! American industry has an answer for you in the XM42.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #894
Evil Roy Slade

I have read that the Blood Qu'ran presents a conundrum for Muslim theologians as blood is an unclean or impure substance in Islam and so keeping a Qu'ran written in it is haraam (sinful) while defiling or defacing a Qu'ran is also haraam. At the same time, a lot of secular authorities do not want it around as an object of Saddam's reign. Can't hang onto it, can't get rid of it, can't destroy it.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #895
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
I have read that the Blood Qu'ran presents a conundrum for Muslim theologians as blood is an unclean or impure substance in Islam and so keeping a Qu'ran written in it is haraam (sinful) while defiling or defacing a Qu'ran is also haraam. At the same time, a lot of secular authorities do not want it around as an object of Saddam's reign. Can't hang onto it, can't get rid of it, can't destroy it.
Schrodinger's moral quandary?
Is it wrong that I now think of some rich collector troll looking for numerous sorts of such problematic items?
Old 03-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #896
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Seal it in a casket and dump it in the sea. You're not destroying it and you're not keeping it around.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #897
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Seal it in a casket and dump it in the sea. You're not destroying it and you're not keeping it around.

Hans
Then a thousand years later...

https://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/..._Evil_in_a_Can
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #898
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post

Hans
That still sounds a bit disrespectful which is where the problem lies. It's an object that deserves utmost respect AND derision simultaneously.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #899
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That still sounds a bit disrespectful which is where the problem lies. It's an object that deserves utmost respect AND derision simultaneously.
I meant seal it in a respectful casket.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #900
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Does Islam not have an accepted procedure for dealing with a Koran that has been accidentally damaged, or is wearing out from age and use, that could be adapted to the purpose?
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox