Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Alden Loveshade

Default GURPS Character Assistant 4 Did Something Weird

I had posted this in the GURPS forum at http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=1051400, but by Daigoro's suggestion copied it here.

I had something very weird happen with GURPS Character Assistant 4. Maybe someone can figure this out.

I had an Old character (O) saved, and made up a New one (N). A few days later, I called up O, and noticed that the character's point total was way off. I checked, and learned that the advantages of N somehow got added to O as well. I might have thought I had just made a mistake, but it was more than a few advantages: Over two dozen clerical spells that N had were now also on O's sheet (O had no spells previously), and a few of these I had just created for N using the New Spell (Clerical) function. In addition the quirks I made for N were also on O's sheet (some of these quirks I created using the New Quirk function).

On top of all this, the skills of character N were added to character O. Where they both had the same skills, the points spend on O's sheet were either changed to be the same as on character N's sheet, or they were added twice--for example, character O ended up with both Broadsword 1 pt. and Broadsword 4 pts. (a variation on this happened with Shield (Shield) and with Teaching.) I admit I am sometimes a bit absent minded, but even I'm not absent minded enough to have done all that without noticing. Frankly some of it I don't even know how to do.

And in case anyone's thinking "virus" or the like, I have industry standard protection, just ran a scan that found nothing more than one low risk cookie which was removed, and updated my virus definitions 11 seconds before I scanned.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant 4 Did Something Weird

Daigoro had responded

Note: This should be in the GCA forum.

I've had something similar happen, I think when I've had 2 characters open at once and then maybe i haven't saved before hibernating my laptop. The result is a bunch of stuff from one character ends up on the other, or has benn completely overwritten.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I had posted this in the GURPS forum at http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=1051400, but by Daigoro's suggestion copied it here.
You could have just PM'd a mod and asked to move the thread, as it is they are going to have to merge these threads, or at least delete the other one anyway.

At any rate, GCA seems to do this sort of thing occasionally. It tends to happen when you try to open a character before another one has finished loading. In general I find GCA tends to not multitask well, and it behooves one to just let it finish doing its thing, before doing anything else. Also when saving double check to make sure that none of these kinds of hiccups have occurred and save often.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Bruno

What would be useful is a popup modal window with progress bar and a busywait animation when loading or saving a character, to ensure you don't end up trying to get it to open two at once and get the data mixed up.

Progress bar might be incremented after processing Attributes, then Advantages, Disadvantages, skills, spells, equipment, whatever. Each section of the GCA file. Obviously some would take longer than others but at least you'd get a sense of progress ;)

The other approach, which I find amusingly accurate, is "This bar will animate randomly until the process is done" ;) I think anyone familiar with Microsoft OS's rather random "time to finish copying" estimates knows the feeling. I got to watch Windows 7 revise %age complete on something backwards and forwards for 15 minutes the other day.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The other approach, which I find amusingly accurate, is "This bar will animate randomly until the process is done" ;) I think anyone familiar with Microsoft OS's rather random "time to finish copying" estimates knows the feeling. I got to watch Windows 7 revise %age complete on something backwards and forwards for 15 minutes the other day.
Ah, yes. One of the most exciting parts of my life is watching Windows do that. (Sadly, I do tend to sit and stare at it waiting for it to make up its mind....)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Bruno

I was just thinking that instead of a progress bar, having a series of checkboxes for "Attributes saved, Advantages saved, Skills Saved, etc. would not only be more accurate, but avoid the "Progress bar has been stuck at 99% for the last 10 minutes" kind of annoyance.

I've never had GCA take NEARLY that long to save but y'all know what I mean - portions of the progress bar seem to take MUCH longer than others.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I was just thinking that instead of a progress bar, having a series of checkboxes for "Attributes saved, Advantages saved, Skills Saved, etc. would not only be more accurate, but avoid the "Progress bar has been stuck at 99% for the last 10 minutes" kind of annoyance.

I've never had GCA take NEARLY that long to save but y'all know what I mean - portions of the progress bar seem to take MUCH longer than others.
I agree; progress on what's actually happened is something I like seeing in saving programs. But GCA loads quickly enough on my computer that it hasn't been a problem for me.

Tags
character assistant, program