Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #41
Bruno

Default Re: Why swords are so expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy View Post
I don't think that gears have power, per se. It would not be hard to get a big waterwheel to spin a small lathe with fairly primitive gearing.
Precision and good design (to stop them from slipping or binding regularly at that speed) and durability of the gears at that small size (as opposed to the enormous and chunky wooden gears used for millwork).

You need gears that are made of a material tough enough to stand up to the pressures and speeds when cut small enough to spin fast enough. You need gear shafts smooth enough and lubricants good enough to stop the friction from setting it on fire or wasting the energy. Going from something as large and slow as a water wheel to something as small and fast as a grinding wheel provides lots of points for things to waste energy (thus speed) and/or fail entirely.

"High technology" is about materials and tools to work the materials as much as it is about the ideas. If not moreso.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #42
ClayDowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
Getting the edge geometry correct is a stones and files thing.
It's also a pretty fast thing that isn't generally helped by power. I can make a nice marking knife in about 10 minutes using only a hand powered grinding wheel and a simple set of oil stones for the final sharpening.

Your big grinding technology change isn't a mater of power, anyway. Adhesives were the big game changer for grinding. Once aluminum oxide could be bound securely, the modern synthetic grinding wheel could be made, which can withstand being spun at high speed, and which provided a sharper grinding surface.

Prior to that you were using sandstone, which doesn't have as sharp a grinding surface and isn't as hard. The better sandstone for grinding wheels comes from a place where my family used to own property, and I've used the stones for sharpening. It takes a lot of patience, they're nowhere near as fast as the aluminum oxide wheels, and they wear a lot faster.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #43
nanoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Precision and good design (to stop them from slipping or binding regularly at that speed) and durability of the gears at that small size (as opposed to the enormous and chunky wooden gears used for millwork).

You need gears that are made of a material tough enough to stand up to the pressures and speeds when cut small enough to spin fast enough. You need gear shafts smooth enough and lubricants good enough to stop the friction from setting it on fire or wasting the energy. Going from something as large and slow as a water wheel to something as small and fast as a grinding wheel provides lots of points for things to waste energy (thus speed) and/or fail entirely.

"High technology" is about materials and tools to work the materials as much as it is about the ideas. If not moreso.
As I understand it, gearing was sufficient in the time period. Prior to the Middle Ages, Romans were using gears for odometers and great flour mills. Whether the gearing would ultimately be economical may be a different story, but I think that the technology existed. It may have even been used on occasion.
nanoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #44
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoboy View Post
As I understand it, gearing was sufficient in the time period. Prior to the Middle Ages, Romans were using gears for odometers and great flour mills. Whether the gearing would ultimately be economical may be a different story, but I think that the technology existed. It may have even been used on occasion.
I think they're talking high-speed gears.

I'm no engineer, but every time I contemplate a car engine doing several thousand cycles per minute, even if distributed over 4 cylinders (so, e.g., it's 500 or 750 revs. per minute per cylinder), my instincts start screaming that no material can withstand that, because the materials I'm mostly sed to, human tissue, and a little bit of wood and plastic, can't.

A grind wheel for a sword smith doesn't need to go that fast, but an odometer wheel is subject to very weak forces, and the gearing in a wind mill or water mill probably does a fraction of 1 RPM.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #45
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I think they're talking high-speed gears.

I'm no engineer, but every time I contemplate a car engine doing several thousand cycles per minute, even if distributed over 4 cylinders (so, e.g., it's 500 or 750 revs. per minute per cylinder), my instincts start screaming that no material can withstand that, because the materials I'm mostly sed to, human tissue, and a little bit of wood and plastic, can't.

A grind wheel for a sword smith doesn't need to go that fast, but an odometer wheel is subject to very weak forces, and the gearing in a wind mill or water mill probably does a fraction of 1 RPM.
Now each cylinder is going back and forth that many times per minute. Of course they only fire half that many times on a 4 cycle engine but the point remains.

Many rotary tools go up to 10 -15 thousand rpm. As for wind or water wheels, probably 2-5 RPM.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #46
RyanW

IIRC, mechanical power generation made its first big contribution to metal production not in turning a grinding wheel, but in reciprocating a hammer or pumping a bellows.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #47
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
You mean like Age of Sail Eurpoeans encountering Stone age cultures?
Yeah, but a lot of those cultures were not Stone Ages(TL0 or TL1), and had TL2 or maybe even TL3 technologies.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #48
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Yeah, but a lot of those cultures were not Stone Ages(TL0 or TL1), and had TL2 or maybe even TL3 technologies.
I was thinking Polynesia not south east asia and africa.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #49
DanHoward

Low-Tech has a section called Variant Technologies on p.7. Polynesians are used as an example of a culture that is advanced in one particular technology. It says to treat Polynesians as a TL0 culture with TL2 seafaring.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #50
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Low-Tech has a section called Variant Technologies on p.7. Polynesians are used as an example of a culture that is advanced in one particular technology. It says to treat Polynesians as a TL0 culture with TL2 seafaring.
yeah for the tech the wares kick-ass navigators 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knife, long knife, low tech, prices, sword