Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 01-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Shadekeep

Default Pocket Box Games

Now that the Pocket Box games are starting to ship out, I was wondering where on the forums here is the best place to discuss them? I can imagine there will be some lively chatter about them once they land in folks hands, for both newcomers and veterans of the titles. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Pocket Box Games

Ogre and Car Wars in their respective forums; Illuminati in Card Games; the rest are fine here.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
Shadekeep

Thanks Andrew!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
Buzzardo

A comment on the whole collection. It's much heavier than I expected. Naturally, I remember pocket box games one at a time, now 20-something at once. :D

I'm having board game night this evening. I think I'll open the box then. :D

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #5
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
A comment on the whole collection. It's much heavier than I expected. Naturally, I remember pocket box games one at a time, now 20-something at once. :D
Haven't gotten my shipment yet, but I suspect the boxes themselves are more substantial. Plus a number of them have extras thrown in, like the notebooks. I backed at the "big shebang" level and added in some extra titles, so it sounds like I might need a handtruck to get the box in. ^_^
Old 01-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
mstlaurent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post

I'm having board game night this evening. I think I'll open the box then. :D
My family will be learning the joy of Car Wars next weekend. :-D
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Worldwalker

Mine just arrived today. That's one big box. Instead of getting productive work done, I was unpacking Pocket Boxes.

Neat: some of the empty boxes are Awful Green Boxes. Those get my homebrew stuff that's been in envelopes for decades.

Not-so-neat: Two boxes so far have hinge issues -- one broken, one broken worse.

Unanticipated issue: A number of the rules are folded poster-sized sheets incorporating their maps, which the user is expected to cut apart. I'd forgotten about that -- hey, it's been 40 years! But I dun wanna cut up my rulesheets! I'd like to buy extra copies of these so I can have one to cut apart and one to save. (the alternative is my 11x17 scanner/printer, but then I have to buy printer ink, which is apparently made of liquid platinum colored with rare earth elements) PDFs of the maps would help, but that would still leave me needing printer ink for the big printer, or I suppose I could piece letter-sized ones.

SJG, any hope of extra folded rulesheets becoming available? One-Page Bulge being the most important to me.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Mine just arrived today. That's one big box. Instead of getting productive work done, I was unpacking Pocket Boxes.

Neat: some of the empty boxes are Awful Green Boxes. Those get my homebrew stuff that's been in envelopes for decades.

Not-so-neat: Two boxes so far have hinge issues -- one broken, one broken worse.

Unanticipated issue: A number of the rules are folded poster-sized sheets incorporating their maps, which the user is expected to cut apart. I'd forgotten about that -- hey, it's been 40 years! But I dun wanna cut up my rulesheets! I'd like to buy extra copies of these so I can have one to cut apart and one to save. (the alternative is my 11x17 scanner/printer, but then I have to buy printer ink, which is apparently made of liquid platinum colored with rare earth elements) PDFs of the maps would help, but that would still leave me needing printer ink for the big printer, or I suppose I could piece letter-sized ones.

SJG, any hope of extra folded rulesheets becoming available? One-Page Bulge being the most important to me.
I just scanned the rules and turn counter sections of OPB and left it intact. It folds under the map nicely, and each section fits on a US letter size page.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
No. We did not overrun any of the game components.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
Shadekeep

It sounds like from today's Daily Illuminator post that some of the Pocket Box Games may be available through the store later. Very nice if so!