Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #41
coronatiger

Default Re: Campaign Log: Chaotic Pioneering

Certain events that happened during this weekend's session (log is in the writing) caused Mattea to desperately search for some ways to express to Olivia how deeply she loved her. One of the things she did was to write a poem. I wrote it in English to the benefit of the readers of this forum. :)

Mattea has IQ 10 and does not possess the Poetry skill, facts that I tried to convey through the poem. Mattea composed it in all seriousness, but I hope I managed to make it bad enough to be funny. I tried to make as many grammatical and "poetic" errors as I could (I even inserted a couple of spelling errors), and still keep the poem readable. The first line should be correct, though, and you can get Mattea's attempted meter there.

Allow me to tell you a thing:
I love you with all of my being!
I'm bad, as a door nob to show it
But hope that you always know it.
That's why I have written these words
Reminding you although it hurts
You're heart that I'm losing my weigh
So often, but know that I prey
For you to again show forgiveness
And put up with my impulsiveness.
I'll never (for real) turn my back to you.
So know that I'll always come back to you.
Olivia, sweetheart, my love:
You're the one I always think of!
The 2 of us fits like a glove!

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #42
coronatiger

Default Session 9 (2019-02-09)

Thoughts on July 23rd

Lady Karita went to consult her cousin, Lord Karl Morgenstern, about Kine’s kerfuffle. She also hired a criminal law attorney.

I spent some time with Olivia in the morning, and then she went to continue her medical training. I searched the adventurers’ guildhall for a senior member who would be in town at the time of the auction. I found one, and he introduced himself as Romus Hansdal. We talked for a little while, and he agreed to take me to the auction. I would supply the money, and he would bid on the things I wanted, with one caveat: He wouldn’t bid on my behalf on anything he wanted for himself. We both were interested in the magic ring and the leather armor. By the end of the conversation, though, I had him wrapped so tightly around by little finger that he would do anything I asked. Now I just had to keep him there, and make it up to Olivia later. I expect I won’t be staying at the Red Mansion again before the auction.

As I’ve already decided, I need to do something romantic with Olivia. Had I been a man, I would have gone down on my knee and offered her a proposal of marriage. I can’t think of anything that can more deeply convey my love for her. Of course, as we’re both women, we can’t marry. Our kind of love isn’t exactly lauded by the community, and although few people actually speak out against it, the Church would never condone formalizing the union. If I can spy on a few wedding ceremonies, maybe I’ll get a few hints, though. Something must be done. By the way, I wonder how Kine is doing, locked up in a dark hole somewhere, at that time of the month. I hope it’s not as bad as how I get when I don’t get any for more than a day.

Thoughts on July 24th

I got up early in the morning so I could bathe before taking the short trip over to the Red Mansion where I had an awkward breakfast with Olivia. She had given her permission for me to proceed with my plan to secure access to the auction, but she didn’t like it very much. We both would have loved it if I had stayed the night in our little room in the attic, but I hadn’t. Again, I thought there was something deeply wrong with me. I just can’t help myself, sharing with the world what should be exclusively hers.

Lady Karita came down uncharacteristically early and broke the silence. She had just received word that Kine had been found and would be brought to the official city jail, where they would meet the attorney and strategize.

Olivia took me up to the attic and relieved me of the guilt, at least temporarily. I get so happy and mellow after a round with her; there is no guilt or shame associated with it when she’s the one to bring ecstasy. Eventually, the world intruded, as it was time for her to go to her training with the herbalist.

Remembering that Magnar had drowned because he had to dive alone, I determined to learn how to swim. I hate the fact that my immediate thought was that Romus probably would love to get wet with me and pass on his skills. I hate even more that I couldn’t dismiss the repulsive idea, and went to ask him. Fortunately, one might say, he didn’t know how to swim. Instead, I went downhill to the harbor area and asked around if anyone wanted to earn a few coins teaching me.

I learned that the people were loath to enter the water of the Silent Lake. It’s apparently all right to go by boat, because that’s the only way to travel between Garuk and Urdon unless one wants to go through the wilderness or take a huge detour inland. They didn’t specify what kind of danger lurked in the sea, and I didn’t press them. I didn’t need to know. Some people would call them superstitious, but I know what’s real and true when people tell me. Olivia keeps telling me how gullible I am, but she exaggerates. I know I’m not as shrewd an observer as she is, and sometimes I’m deceived, only to learn the truth later, but for the most part, people are honest. Many even say so themselves!

Olivia would be pleased that I found a satisfactorily gay guy to teach me to swim. I never make a pass at someone who isn’t attracted to me, and I’m almost supernaturally good at detecting that particular kind of attraction. Milon and I agreed to meet at a small pond half an hour’s walk on the other side of the city for swimming lessons for the next few days.

In the evening, I encountered Lady Karita at the guildhall. She told me that she had talked to Kine, who had agreed to pay a hefty fine now, rather than risking a month-long trial that could end with a trip to the hangman. I got the impression that the trial would have unearthed some facts that Kine would want to keep hidden at all costs, and that this was the main reason for her to settle the case immediately.

Lady Karita said that she had confined Kine to her rooms at the inn for now, and that we all have to act as if Kine is her slave. Why she wants me to pretend, I can’t wrap my head around. Maybe she doesn’t think I believe that Kine is her slave? Lady Karita has certainly given her freedom to do as she wants in the past. More likely, it has something to do with nobility or politics. Anyway, Lady Karita is much smarter than me, so I decided just to do as she said. Now that Magnar isn’t with us anymore, she has asserted herself firmly as the leader of our little party. I don’t mind that. I found all the bickering between the two of them tiresome.

I asked Lady Karita if there was anything on the list of auction objects on which she wanted me to bid on her behalf, but she said no. I also had seen a quest notice about exploring the area where Magnar had died, with a bonus if Magnar’s body was recovered, and I expressed a desire to get him out of there and to give him a proper burial. I said I was learning how to swim. Lady Karita asked if I had miraculously acquired the ability to see in the dark, and if I thought I could fight off whatever had killed Magnar. I had to concede in the negative to both questions, and that was that. Sometimes I don’t think things through, so it’s good to have someone sensible in command.

I had also seen a note about the mile-deep shaft we had found, but as only experienced adventurers were permitted to take that quest, we didn’t say much about it.

Thoughts on July 25th

I went to the Red Mansion and had breakfast with Olivia and Kine, and we had a talk about the trial and whatnot. I stayed with Olivia until it was time for us both to go to our respective teachers.

In the evening, I thought I heard a knock on Romus’s door, and someone calling for me, but I was too deeply immersed to care. I got a gnawing feeling it might have been Olivia who was there, but I checked outside the door as soon as I came back to my senses, and nobody was there, so it can’t have been her. For Olivia to come here, knowing what was going on, it would have taken something so vitally important that she wouldn’t leave without talking to me. I looked around the common room, just in case, but I didn’t see her.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #43
coronatiger

Thoughts on July 26th

It
was Olivia who was there, yesterday. Lady Karita had ordered her to fetch me because they had been contacted by someone who wanted to join our adventuring party and wanted my opinion of her. Olivia had been disinclined to go, but felt she had to. I wish she hadn’t had to hear what was going on behind the locked door, and I completely understand that she didn’t stick around. Poor soul! I concluded long ago that love is irrational; how can she remain in love with me otherwise?

Over breakfast, Olivia told me about all the elves she and the others had met yesterday. First, there was the one we had interrogated with Lady Karita, or rather who had been interrogated by Lady Karita while Olivia and I listened with half an ear. She wanted to hire Kine to smuggle the goods she already has loaded on her wagon; it sounded strange to me, but Olivia didn’t learn the details, so she couldn’t explain. Then another one contacted Lady Karita, playing matchmaker for an acquaintance who wanted to become an adventurer; she apparently thought our group would do well for her friend. At last, the acquaintance herself met with Olivia, Lady Karita and Kine. To show her usefulness, Va’lyndra cast a spell on the chain weapon we had found, and determined it was able to practically ignore armor. At that time, Lady Karita decided I needed to meet Va’lyndra, and forced Olivia to go; Olivia knew where I was.

I got to meet Va’lyndra a little later; she appeared in time for Lady Karita’s breakfast. When she had eaten, Lady Karita decided to take the rest of us outside the city, where we could test Va’lyndra’s skills.

She had another task for Olivia, though. She took the two of us aside, and said she wanted Olivia to keep watch on her cousin, Karl Morgenstern. Lord Karl was allowed to see his kidnapped wife and twelve-year-old son about once a month. Someone would contact him and take him outside the city, where he’d be blindfolded and lead somewhere the family could be together for a little while. Lady Karita wanted to follow them to see where the wife and son were kept, so they could be saved.

We didn’t go far outside the city walls, in case Olivia needed to get to us in a hurry, just far enough that we wouldn’t be seen or disturbed. Va’lyndra and I had a little archery competition, which she won. I may not have won, but I would have done better if I hadn’t been pining so for Olivia. Lady Karita and Va’lyndra did some fist-against-staff fighting, and the elf proved an able melee fighter. I asked her if she had any skills besides combat that could aid us when we go adventuring. She claimed expertise at stealth and tracking, so we tested those skills. Va’lyndra performed well, but not exceptionally. My impression of her is that she’ll fit right into our group. She can keep up with us, and she has both magic and fighting skills that we’re in need of.

Lady Karita and Kine took Va’lyndra to the guildhall to mingle and to register her as an adventurer, and I went to keep Olivia company until I went for my swimming lesson, at which time, Kine took over for me. I don’t know how long we’ll need to stake Lord Karl out, but it may be a couple of weeks.

I spent the evening with Olivia, but knocked on Romus’s door when darkness had fallen.

Thoughts on July 27th

I was back in time for breakfast with the others. We acquainted Va’lyndra with the case of the kidnapped family, and agreed on a watch rotation. Olivia and I would take the day watch outside his office, and Kine and Va’lyndra would watch in the evening, after he’d returned home from work. Lady Karita disclosed to her cousin that we were keeping him under surveillance. It was because she wanted him to act normally if he saw us, I guess.

The crew decided we should sell the chain weapon at the auction if we could. Lady Karita had asked the guild master earlier, and he said that an item entered now would likely get a lower price than if it was sold at the next auction. He said the next auction would likely be in two months or so. We talked it over, and agreed that we might not be in Garuk in two months, and we could do many quests before that, during which we could put the money to good use. None of us had any skill with the thing, or the desire to learn, anyway.

I found Romus at the guildhall, and asked him if he could put the chain weapon up for sale. He consented to do so, and told me that the chain weapon was called a kusari.

A couple of notes on the board caught my attention. Someone was selling their masterwork brass knuckles, and I learned there were different types of arrows; one was able to penetrate armor more easily; another had a broader head that would inflict more damage.

I found the brass knuckles seller and bought those, then I went to a fletcher’s shop and ordered masterwork arrows as well. I could see they were both sharper and sturdier than regular arrows. The fletcher didn’t claim the arrows made it easier to hit, though, and I assume he would have done so if he thought he could get a better price that way. Not that they weren’t expensive enough already. He actually wanted to know I was good for the sum. I offered him half now and half later, when I pick up the arrows; he only had the display arrows in store, and needed a couple of days to make up the order.

Thoughts on July 28th

The kidnappers have always approached Lord Karl in the afternoon or in the evening to take him to see his family, so there was no need to begin the surveillance before lunch. I spent the morning locked up in the attic with Olivia.

I reasoned that I would be a little conspicuous if I sat all day in the outdoors restaurant near Lord Karl’s office. People would recognize me, and wonder why I was staring at a building. Therefore, I let Olivia watch from the restaurant while I practiced acrobatics in the street, entertaining street urchins and passersby. She pretended to watch my antics, but in fact she was watching the building behind me. Nothing suspicious happened today, and we got to spend the entire day together.

Thoughts on July 29th

Olivia hadn’t come down for breakfast when I arrived at the Red Mansion, so I went up to the attic to see if something was wrong. I pushed open the door, but the room was empty. Now that I’m not spending the nights there, Olivia has the time to keep the place tidy, so I immediately spotted the envelope with my name on it. It glared ominously at me from the middle of the floor. My stomach dropped like a leaden weight, for I knew what the letter would say. I forced myself to pick it up and pulled out a sheet of paper. I unfolded it and read the message in Olivia’s neat handwriting, a vulgar imperative I never would have expected from her. It was just two words, but those seven letters made my stomach drop even further. I was so stunned, I didn’t react when the door slammed shut and the person who had hidden behind the door grabbed me. I heard a voice whisper in my ear, but I couldn’t quite catch the words. The hands turned me around, and I saw Olivia. She cupped my face in her hands, looked me passionately in the eyes and repeated the whisper, a prefix to the message in the letter. Suddenly, I saw the prank for what it was, and my heart leapt. I attained her state of undress before the echoes of her whisper faded: “I want to …”

We interrupted my birthday celebration to have breakfast with Lady Karita. The others were there as well. Olivia asked if the others could cover our watch as she had other plans for us today.

We brought some food and drink along, and walked out the city gates, hand in hand. We found a secluded spot near the pond where I had learned to swim, and had a picnic. We had a delightful day, relaxing in the pond, drying off in the summer sun, getting steamy, and repeating until the sun went down and the air cooled. Recalling the dangers of the dark, we hurried back to the inn, where Olivia gave me my birthday present. Again. Romus had to manage on his own tonight.

Thoughts on July 30th

I was in high spirits today. Olivia loves me! Others may wish for pretty dresses or fancy weapons, and I admit that I do too, but what Olivia gave me for my birthday, nobody else can. Anyone can satiate my hunger, but only she can give me pleasure without regret, bliss without guilt and ecstasy without shame.

I leapt and danced, tumbled and twirled, and enjoyed myself immensely while Olivia kept watch on Lord Karl’s office door. When Kine and Va’lyndra took over the surveillance, Olivia and I went to the stables and retrieved Lightfoot who had completed his training. If the people I gave a pile of coins have done their job, Lightfoot will be coming with us when we go into the dark again.

It’s just a couple of days until the auction, so I went to see if Romus was as pliable as I needed him to be. After the auction, I’ll let Olivia tie me to the cot in the attic of the Red Mansion.

Thoughts on July 31st

Nothing happened while Olivia and I watched Lord Karl today. When Va’lyndra and Kine relieved us, we went back to the pond, and I began teaching Olivia how to swim. I had found it to be remarkably easy, but I guess it would take a little more time with Olivia, what with the distractions and all.

We separated when we got back to the city. Stores were in the process of closing up, but I had time to pick up the arrows I had purchased earlier, and I managed to convince a jeweler to let me place an order.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #44
coronatiger

Thoughts on August 1st

I trudged back to the Red Mansion this morning, trying to think happy thoughts about tomorrow’s auction, after which I’d never stray from Olivia’s side again. I couldn’t break out of the gloom on my own, and I wasn’t very good company at breakfast, but Olivia took me aside and yanked me out of my misery.

Surveillance was business as usual. Plenty of people were coming and going. Olivia was starting to recognize some of the regular visitors, but didn’t mention seeing any suspicious-looking types. After work, we went to swim again.

Thoughts on August 2nd

I met the others for breakfast at the Red Mansion. We arranged for a switch of guards, as the auction was in the afternoon, when I usually was on surveillance duty. Subdued by guilt, it was hard for me to ask Olivia for money, but I needed all I could get, to make sure I got the leather armor I wanted. The money for the sale of the kusari would only be available after the auction.

When Lady Karita came down from her room, she took me aside and said she wanted me to buy the whip for Kine, who had been relieved of all the gear she had brought when she tried busting out the other slaves, including the weaponry. She gave me a heavy pouch full of gold.

I met Romus back at his inn and gave him a quick one before we left. At the auction, I gave him all my money, to deposit with the functionaries along with his own; he would be doing the bidding, after all. He won the bid on the ring he wanted, and said that he couldn’t afford armor as well, so he could bid on my behalf on all three sets of the leather armor, if necessary. The whip came up first, though. We had noticed most items sold for more than the listed price, often up to half again that cost. Romus asked how high I wanted to go on the whip, and I said he could go as high as he needed to get it; Lady Karita had supplied about twice as much as the list price, which was fifty gold pieces. We got the whip for sixty and a half.

The leather armor was among the last things to be auctioned off, and Romus and I had plenty of time to discuss strategy. I suggested we should take it easy in the first round, to gauge the interest of the other bidders, and try to get the second or third set if the bids started getting high. He cautioned against it, saying what if the other bidders thought so as well? I don’t have any sense at all when it comes to money, so I trusted him to know best. It quickly became obvious that the armor would be expensive, for there were many bidders, and the price rose quickly. The initial bid had been eighty gold, and the bids only slowed down around one hundred and twenty. Romus told me the price now was fifty percent over the initial bid, and asked if I wanted to go on. I pondered while the crowd’s focus shifted between the two other bidders who gold piece by gold piece pushed the price upwards. It was becoming a little too costly for me, so I remained silent. “One thirty-two, going once,” the auctioneer announced, “going twice…” My elbow, with a will of its own, poked Romus in the side. I got the swamp wurm leather armor for one hundred and thirty-three gold pieces. That was more money than Olivia and I had put in together, but fortunately, Lady Karita’s gold hadn’t run out yet. The armor was heavier than I had imagined, so I don’t think I’ll be wearing the leggings and sleeves on a regular basis.

I got a fair bit of gold back when the kusari was sold. Then I said goodbye to Romus, and went to see the others at the restaurant, where I split the money for the kusari with them. I gave back to Olivia what I owed her, and then Lady Karita said she wanted the remainder of her money back. I hadn’t thought to keep track of what money was hers, and was completely bewildered. She tried to help me calculate it, but I gave up, and just handed over the rest of my gold to her. It was probably too much, but as long as we’re helping with her investigation and surveilling Lord Karl, she’s paying for room and board for us, so I don’t have regular expenses for the moment, and I think I’ve made all the purchases I need for a while. I’ve even bought a ball of string, a few fishhooks and a bar of soap, all of which I wish I’d had on our last trip into the mines. If I need to, I can mooch off of Olivia; we settle bills for each other all the time, anyway. Lady Karita, after having done her own calculations, handed back most of the gold to me, however.

Olivia and I let the others go, and I started my practice session while she watched. She didn’t see anything out of the ordinary behind me this evening.
When we got back to our little room in the attic of the Red Mansion, I made Olivia tie me to the bed and let her have her way with me. After a while, she fetched the blanket and curled up beside me, her head on my shoulder and one arm across my chest; it was just enough room for her between the wall and my still spread-eagled form.

When she falls asleep, I’m going to slip out of the bonds, at least on the side opposite from her. I long so much for holding her, for intertwining myself with her and drifting off to sleep with the feeling that everything is right in the world.

Thoughts on August 3rd
I woke to the sound of contented humming moving about the room, dispelling a vivid dream of Olivia kissing my right wrist and ankle. I started to get up, but as she turned towards me with a mischievous glimmer in her eyes, I noticed she had retied the knots.

We had breakfast at Karita-time, and then we left to have another swimming lesson. We relieved Va’lyndra and Kine for the evening watch. I borrowed pen and paper and started jotting down some thoughts. I didn’t do much acrobatics that evening, instead I wrote and wrote. I crumpled a lot of sheets today, but I was finally satisfied.

When Olivia was getting ready for bed, a poem fell out of her dress. Seeing my smug grin, she asked how I had managed to get it there. I coquettishly replied that I had ulterior motives for fondling her in the stairwell. She laughed when she read what I had written. Mirth wasn’t the emotion I had been aiming for, but as long as she’s happy, I’m happy.

Allow me to tell you a thing:
I love you with all of my being!
I'm bad, as a door nob to show it
But hope that you always know it.
That's why I have written these words
Reminding you although it hurts
You're heart that I'm losing my weigh
So often, but know that I prey
For you to again show forgiveness
And put up with my impulsiveness.
I'll never (for real) turn my back to you.
So know that I'll always come back to you.
Olivia, sweetheart, my love:
You're the one I always think of!
The 2 of us fits like a glove!

Thoughts on August 4th

Olivia and I went swimming again today. On our way to the surveillance, we stopped by the jeweler’s, where I could present her with a gold ring with the inscription “Yours forever”. It wouldn’t do for someone of her class to be seen with such an expensive piece of jewelry on her finger, so I had also ordered a silver chain, so she could wear it around her neck, hidden inside her dress. She put it on and gave me a hug, saying she knew why I was doing these things – the poem, the ring. While she thought it was romantic, she said there was no debt between us, and I should refrain from spending excessive amounts of gold to buy her forgiveness. All was forgiven, she declared, and everything was as it should be. To be safe from impulse buys, I gave her most of my coins.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #45
coronatiger

Thoughts on August 5th

I was tumbling in the street as usual, and it was starting to get dark when Olivia signaled me. I bounded over and took a seat next to her. She told me not to look, and said that someone suspicious-looking just had knocked on Lord Karl’s door. I couldn’t help myself, and sneaked a peek anyway. I didn’t see anything differentiating this visitor from any other we had seen earlier, but I trusted Olivia’s foresight that something was wrong. She has shown time and time again that she can spot whenever something bad is going to happen, and has saved me from the shame of waking up in a strange bed more times than I care to remember.

Lord Karl appeared, and walked off with the visitor, and Olivia and I stalked behind. After seeing their general direction of movement, Olivia surmised that they were heading for the north gate. I ran back to the Red Mansion to pick up my backpack and weapon, and to gather the crew. We met Olivia at the gate, but she had lost sight of Lord Karl and his companion.

Kine and Va’lyndra soon found their tracks, though, and while Va’lyndra kept following, Kine returned to the gate to fetch us. Lady Karita asked Olivia if she was coming along. Olivia asked what her plan was, and Lady Karita said we were going to follow to the rendezvous with the kidnappers, and most likely make an ambush to liberate the captives. I didn’t want to risk getting Olivia caught up in a fight, so I sent her back to the inn with a good-night kiss. I had originally thought that we’d use stealth to sneak the hostages out, and would have brought my new armor and more healing potions than the one I always keep in my pouch if I knew Lady Karita was planning a fight. But at least Olivia would be safe.

Lady Karita, Kine and I moved out at a good pace, and it wasn’t long before Kine spotted a dark figure following Va’lyndra. Kine and I tried to sneak up on them, but Lady Karita lagged behind because she didn’t think she’d be able to move both quickly and silently.

Kine struck out with her whip, entangling the guy’s neck so he couldn’t cry out. I kicked him twice in rapid succession, and Va’lyndra, who had heard all three of us following her, hurled a dagger towards him. He had to throw himself to the ground to avoid getting hit, which made it easy for me to pummel him into submission. Lady Karita caught up with us and said she’d take care of him while the rest of us resumed the stalking.

We followed Lord Karl and his escort to the meeting place. Five men, clad in leather armor and armed with spears and bows waited there with Lord Karl’s wife and son. Preferring to fight five men with two captives rather than six men with three, we decided to find the tracks of the larger group and follow them for a while before setting up our ambush. We circled at a safe distance from the light of the lanterns, and found a path where Kine said she could see their tracks.

Lady Karita, Va’lyndra and I followed the path for a few minutes before we found a good place to ambush the kidnappers. Kine stayed to watch them and would come running when they started to move. She spotted us immediately, and we hurried to find better hiding places; Va’lyndra and I hid together behind some rocks, while Lady Karita and Kine stayed on the other side of the path.

When the five kidnappers arrived with Lord Karl’s wife and son in tow, their leader noticed Kine and Lady Karita, and ordered his men to stop. Va’lyndra and I both put an arrow in their forward archer, and he dropped to the ground. The three spear-wielding men rushed towards Lady Karita and Kine, and their second archer prepared to shoot. Va’lyndra, drawing another arrow with incredible speed, managed to take him down before he could fire at us.

Kine relieved the leader of his spear using her whip, and Lady Karita hurled a throwing star at him, but he dropped beneath its trajectory. His two followers tried to run their spears into my friends, but missed. Lady Karita shouted “Run!” and fled towards Va’lyndra and me with two of them on her heels; Kine led the third guy off in the other direction.

I took a step to the side to shoot past Lady Karita, but failed miserably and hit her instead. My masterwork arrow penetrated her cloth armor easily, and down she went. Instead of gaining a four-against-two advantage, we now were three against three. Kine, who didn’t have time to ready her whip again, tried to claw at one of the spearmen. Our two other enemies were approaching Va’lyndra and me rapidly and would be upon us before I could draw another arrow. Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess, for as Lady Karita hit the ground, Va’lyndra had a clear shot at the spearman running for her.

The shot wounded the man badly, and while he didn’t pass out immediately, he never reached us. The leader, however, came at me with a large knife he had drawn after losing his spear and slashed at me. As I wanted to get close enough to punch him, I didn’t retreat far enough from the attack, and the knife cut deeply into my belly. I managed to stay on my feet, but the intense shock made me hesitant to attack, so instead I feinted. He stepped closer and tried to stab me, but Va’lyndra had conjured a shield to protect me, and it blocked the attack. My feint had worked, and he failed to parry my punch. He grunted in pain behind his leather armor. Va’lyndra had picked up her staff, and in a few seconds, he was dead. He never managed to land another hit.

Seeing no other enemy in my immediate vicinity, I drew another arrow while casting my eyes over the battlefield. In the dark, I couldn’t see Kine’s unmoving body on the ground, but I feared the worst as her opponent came charging towards us across the path. Va’lyndra intercepted him. Fighting staff against spear, the two of them stayed far enough apart that I had a clear line of fire to the last kidnapper, and after I had put an arrow in his chest, he yielded when Va’lyndra ordered him to surrender.

I gulped down a healing potion and felt a little lighter on my feet. Va’lyndra administered one to Lady Karita. I gave her my first aid kit, tied up the guard, and released the prisoners. I explained to the woman we were friends of her husband, and that we were going to take them back to town as soon as possible. I didn’t express my fear that it might take a while, but fortunately, both Lady Karita and Kine regained consciousness within a few minutes. I apologized profusely to my unintended target.

After that short rest, and having been bandaged by Va’lyndra, I felt fit to fight again, so I suggested to her that she and I should run to see if we could overtake Lord Karl and his escort. Leaving Lady Karita in charge of the battlefield, we dashed off. Va’lyndra, with chain mail, started panting heavily after a mile or so. We conferred briefly, and I stepped up the pace, leaving her behind. I wouldn’t try to engage the escort in combat en route to the city, but hoped to meet them at the gate, where the single guard wouldn’t dare anything as I approached them. My guess was he would slink off into the shadows.

Without Va’lyndra’s elven eyes, I soon veered off from the path. Luckily, whenever I crested one of the larger hills, I could see the dim lights of Garuk in the distance, so I didn’t get completely lost on my way back. Estimating that I’d reached the city before them, I stayed inside the north gate, waiting.

Lord Karl arrived alone, and I made contact after making sure he wasn’t followed. He told me his escort had found the corpse of the man who had spotted Va’lyndra tracking them earlier, and had run off. Lord Karl took off his blindfold and came back to Garuk. I explained to him that we had liberated his wife and son, and that Lady Karita and Kine would be bringing them back. He dragged me off to find some of his personal guards, planning to go out to meet the family. He said he’d rent a horse for me. I said I’d rather get my own horse, but he didn’t want me to leave. I’m still not sure whether it was for my own safety, or his, or if he didn’t trust me.

As we left the city, Lord Karl asked if I was able to backtrack towards the battlefield. I said no, so we just spread out to watch for Lady Karita and the others beyond sight of the city walls. Thinking I’d see farther from higher up, I stood on the saddle, staring into the night. I also figured Lady Karita and Kine would recognize me that way.

Lady Karita and Kine saw a rider, and Lady Karita crept closer. She was seen, and the alarm was raised. She stepped forward, showing no weapons. Lord Karl and I arrived before anything untoward happened.

While Lord Karl went to rouse the governor, the rest of us went to the Red Mansion, to entrench ourselves in Lady Karita’s suite. I woke Olivia, and took her down from the attic along with some supplies. One of Lord Karl’s men guarded the window, and we blocked the door with furniture. After she’d looked at my wound and realized there wasn’t anything else she could do for me, I told Olivia to try to get some sleep again while I watched over her. I could sleep later. Kine had found her healing potion supply, and was rejuvenated, but I ordered her to try to sleep. Morning wasn’t too far off.

I had forgotten I’d promised to meet Va’lyndra at the north gate, but she eventually found her way to the inn and knocked on the door. We let her in.

Lady Karita, having spent the last days familiarizing herself with the area outside the city, and Va’lyndra, being our best tracker, led Lord Karl and a platoon of the governor’s soldiers back to the battleground. The three kidnappers who had survived had managed to get free from their bonds, and had fled the site. Following the path, Va’lyndra eventually found the kidnappers’ camp, where most of their forces remained. A short battle ensued between the soldiers and the bandits, and many of the bandits were taken captive, but their leaders had disappeared.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #46
coronatiger

Default Re: Campaign Log: Chaotic Pioneering

If anyone is interested, I saved a version of Mattea's character sheet on Google Drive. You can take a look at it here. There's also a blank sheet that people can download and use for their own characters; it's rather comprehensive, so I've made a user manual, just in case.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #47
coronatiger

Default Session 10 (2019-02-23)

Thoughts on August 6th

Lady Karita and Va’lyndra didn’t return before Olivia woke up and I could go to sleep on the lady’s sofa. As entangled as we usually sleep, the sofa would have accommodated the both of us, but the guards were a reminder that there was a threat of attack, however small, so I wanted to stay awake until Olivia got up.

Lady Karita didn’t go to sleep at all because her bed was occupied by Lord Karl’s wife, and then she had to play the hostess to the two visiting nobles. Over an afternoon breakfast, when everybody was awake, Lady Karita said she wanted to send a guard to Lord Karl’s house, to see if it was safe to bring his family home. I said I could run over with a letter, if she’d write one, since I wanted to exhaust myself before bedtime, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

At the house, I told the guards I brought a message from Lady Karita to their master. One of them started asking who I was, but was shushed by his colleague, who recognized me. Lord Karl wasn’t at home, so I asked if I could wait. I spent the time practicing acrobatics in the garden, to the guards’ delight. It took a few hours before Lord Karl arrived, and when he did, he brought everybody with him. He had gone straight to the Red Mansion Inn from whatever business he had conducted.

Olivia told me Lady Karita had ordered Kine around while they prepared to leave the inn, and Kine had grumbled all the time. I guess she likes to pretend to strangers that she isn’t a slave.

Olivia brought all our stuff, except for the horses; Lord Karl didn’t have stables at the town house. The house wasn’t very large, so we had to improvise sleeping arrangements. Kine and Va’lyndra got Lord Karl’s home office, and Olivia and I were assigned to the laundry room. Lady Karita took the master bed chamber, of course, relegating her relatives to the son’s room, which was spacious enough for the three of them.

Kine and Va’lyndra decided to take watches during the night, but I didn’t see the point, as there were six guards stationed in and around the house. Only a fool would attempt a break-in.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #48
coronatiger

Thoughts on August 7th

A shout of alarm woke everyone in the middle of the night. I hurried to string my bow and was picking up the quiver when Olivia declared that she wouldn’t let me out of the room without any clothes on. I didn’t hear any more shouting, or any sounds of combat, so I got dressed, and then Olivia helped me put on my new leather armor. It’s a bit heavy, so I left off the bracers and leggings, preferring mobility over protection.

The two guards who had been in the garden had came inside; they’d been struck by a crossbow bolt each. Kine, perched on the roof of the one-story building, had also been shot at, but she’d been able to hide behind the ridge, so she hadn’t been hit. She had jumped down to the alley behind the house and brought the guards there inside as well. Olivia got out her first aid kit and started applying bandages to the wounded guards, while I joined Va’lyndra in the office.

For safety, all the window shutters had been locked, so the bandits had to break their way inside. Two of the three office windows were the first ones to be attacked, and Va’lyndra and I waited patiently with arrows pointed at the windows. We soon saw a blade penetrate the shutters, and when she spotted an eye-ball looking in, Va’lyndra released her arrow at the tiny crack. The arrow didn’t pass entirely through the heavy wooden shutter, but we heard a yelp of pain from the outside, and the attacks on the windows ceased. I would have shot as well, but my reaction was slow enough that the person outside would have had ample time to get out of the way.

After a few seconds of silence, I suggested we open the window and see if we could spot any hostiles outside. There were none in the garden, but someone was standing behind the fence, pointing a crossbow at us. I fired as fast as I could, and the assassin dropped to the ground to avoid being struck. We saw no more movement on the garden side of the house, and opened the third office window. There was nobody in the alley, but we soon heard attacks being made on the windows of the living room and kitchen on the other side of the house, so we closed the shutters again and went there; Va’lyndra went to the living room, and I to the kitchen.

The assailants shattered the shutters, but when Va’lyndra and I started shooting, they found the alley outside to be uninhabitable, so they slunk away again. After a while of silence, I suggested to Lady Karita, who had taken charge of the defenses, that I could go out the kitchen window and take a look from the neighboring roof. Depending on what I saw, I could run for help or shoot at the enemies from behind. If the situation outside became untenable, I figured I could dive back in through a kitchen or living room window. I got permission to go.

I took a running start through the kitchen, used the window sill for a stepping stone, and jumped up to the adjacent roof. Two bandits were lying there, watching the living room windows from above. One of them had a crossbow and a long knife, the other one wore a breastplate and wielded an axe. I guessed the latter was the most dangerous one close up, and punched him in the face before he could stand up. The other guy fired at me, and I barely got out of the way; I had to pull an acrobatic stunt to dodge the bolt. Unarmed, the only advantage I had was that I was fighting two people who were trying to get to their feet to engage me face-to-face. Fortunately, I was strong enough that a hit to the face knocked them down, so I didn’t have to fight two standing opponents at the same time.

One of my opponents shouted that we were coming out the windows on this side, summoning their accomplices. I yelled for Va’lyndra to shoot if she got the chance. I managed on my own, however, as neither of my opponents could handle more than two or three brass-knuckled punches. The knife-fighter nearly got me, though, and in the heat of the battle, I forgot I still was nursing an injury from the fight with the kidnappers a couple of nights ago. A single, good hit could have dropped me.

Two more bandits came from the alley behind the house and tried to climb up. Va’lyndra dropped one, and the other thought the better of it when I pointed an arrow at him and demanded his surrender. He tried to get away from me to join the melee in the kitchen. I shot him, but he staggered onward. Needing time to reload, I had to let him go.

In the kitchen, the guards at first looked to be evenly matched with the intruders. Kine had been hit by a crossbow bolt when the enemies first entered, and was reluctant to go in, and Lady Karita stayed back to guard her relatives while Olivia hid in a nearby closet. Va’lyndra had been busy watching the alleys.

Then two of the bandits in the kitchen went down, and things were looking up. Unfortunately, the intruders included a fire mage and a highly trained assassin, and the guards soon were in serious trouble. Not wanting to be surrounded, the two remaining enemies fought with their backs against the wall towards the alley. That, however, forced one of them to stand at the window, and when the assassin dropped to the floor, an arrow protruding from his stomach at a downward angle, Va’lyndra and the remaining guards made short work of the mage.

Lady Karita took control of the situation: Kine and the wounded guards were sent to the living room to be cared for by Olivia; the single uninjured one was dispatched to alert the governor; the fire in the kitchen was doused and the charred remains of the dead guard were covered with a blanket; the prisoners were stripped of arms and armor and stowed in the kitchen; Va’lyndra and I watched them until the governor’s men came and took them away.

Kine had fallen unconscious, and after a brief examination, Lady Karita told us the crossbow bolt that had hit Kine had reacquainted her with belladonna. Olivia watched over her patient with a supply of healing potions to be administered at her discretion. The dose of poison Kine received today must have been stronger than the one she got earlier, for it took quite some time before she was stable. Olivia sent me off to bed alone.

In the morning, Lady Karita and Va’lyndra went to the adventurers’ guild to procure more healing potions and to look for interesting quests on the board. They found one; we’ll be leaving the day after tomorrow to explore some buildings in a city in the lower levels of the caves. Lady Karita also learned that the governor has started taking a tax on wealth brought out of the mines.

Back at Lord Karl’s house, Va’lyndra commented upon Lady Karita’s constant orders to Kine, and asked her if she actually was Lady Karita’s slave. Kine gave her an emphatic no, but I nodded a discrete yes. Now that Va’lyndra has joined our crew, I figured she deserves to know. Both Lady Karita, Kine and Olivia claim that Kine isn’t really a slave, and that we just have to pretend she is, but I know the truth.

When the others started talking about money and stuff, Olivia and I went swimming again. She’s improving, and says she’ll soon be comfortable swimming without me supporting her. She isn’t as quick to learn as I was. She doesn’t have the same endurance for lengthy training sessions as I do, but I suspect the main reason may be that while my teacher used both arms to support me, I only use one, leaving the other one free to steady Olivia’s chest when she dips forward. As I am loath to let go after grabbing her, she has to employ various methods to get out of my grip. While pleasant, the frequent distractions are time-consuming. There’s no rush for Olivia to learn swimming, though, so she doesn’t mind. She knew what she was getting into, placing herself in my hands. It’s good we’ve found a secluded pond where we can practice, as clothes are terribly cumbersome when one swims.

In the evening, Va’lyndra and I went to the fletcher to get masterwork arrows. He said he could only make ten before we left, so I let Va’lyndra make the order. I still have seventeen masterwork arrows from my last purchase; they don’t break as easily as regular arrows.

Lord Karl said he thought this was a last, desperate attempt to get him before he could uncover the crimes behind the mineral export monopoly. Lady Karita declared Lord Karl and his family to be safe, so we moved back to the Red Mansion. Olivia and I got the small room in the attic again, where we can be as noisy as we please.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #49
coronatiger

Thoughts on August 8th

I sent Olivia to restock lantern oil. Kine received the task of getting enough food and water for everyone and their horses, except for Va’lyndra, who has her own food, suitable for an elvish palate.

After another swimming lesson with Olivia, I had Va’lyndra show me how she manages to draw her arrows so quickly. I said I hoped to be able to learn it before we arrived at our destination, but Va’lyndra shook her head, and said I would need more time than what would be available during the short rests we would make on our way down. I intend to stand on Lightfoot’s saddle and practice all the way, though. I don’t see why that should be so difficult.

Just before the shops closed for the day, Va’lyndra got her arrows from the fletcher, and Kine retrieved the large water barrel, which she had had fitted with a false bottom, presumably for smuggling valuables out of the mines.

Thoughts on August 9th

We had packed everything yesterday, so as soon as Lady Karita had broken her fast, we rode off towards the mines. We had some trouble getting Chestnut to enter the darkness, and had to pull him after the wagon, but he soon calmed himself.

As expected, we had to show all our valuables at the checkpoint, so the governor’s men could record what we brought inside; we wouldn’t have to pay a tax on that when we left.

The innkeeper at the Mild Mole still has it in for Kine, so we couldn’t stay there for the night, at least not as a group. We went a little further to set up our camp, but Kine decided to provoke the innkeeper by trading consumables to his guests. Lady Karita, ever the prude, vocally made a point out of pitching her tent as far away from ours, so I pondered different ways to make Olivia squeal, just to annoy her, but I finally thought the better of it, considering the complaints we would have to put up with tomorrow. We tried to keep it down, but I fear some yelps of pleasure may have found their way across camp.

Thoughts on August 10th

Back below ground, we reinstated the night watch routine, starting with Kine, then Va’lyndra on Magnar’s former watch, and finally Olivia and me in the early morning. Lady Karita needs more sleep than the rest of us, so since she doesn’t have watch duty, we can all have breakfast together. The lady certainly isn’t a morning person, and she chewed me out for having kept her awake. Olivia was mostly spared, as Lady Karita knew that while I may be the stealthier of the couple, I was to blame for Olivia’s outbursts.

A thought occurred to me, now that Magnar isn’t with us anymore, I may be the strongest person in the group. Except for when I’ve been alone, or travelling with Olivia, there has always been a burly man around, be it a strongman in the troupe, a soldier for the duke or a hunter in the woods. Va’lyndra is muscular, compared to others of her kind, but still skinny. We tried some arm wrestling after breakfast, which I won, but I’m disproportionately strong in the arms and shoulders, so if I were to consider overall strength, I’d be about even with the elf. We didn’t care to do, or have time for, more rigorous testing.

As the day wore on, we descended into the lower levels of the caves. The hallways down here are carved with more skill, and here and there, you can find artistic statues. In the afternoon, we arrived at the fortress that marked the entrance to the long-abandoned city. We set up camp outside, and Va’lyndra looked for tracks around the campsite, but found nothing except for evidence that other adventurers had been here before. We had been told that parts of the city had been explored already.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #50
coronatiger

Thoughts on August 11th

It took an hour to get from the entrance to the part of the city we were tasked to explore. A quick count showed ten buildings, in various degrees of disrepair; some buildings were essentially whole, others were hardly more than a pile of rubble. We decided to proceed with care. Va’lyndra would look for magical traps, while Lady Karita would look for those of a mundane variety.

The first house we checked didn’t have traps of any kind on the two external doors, but the doors themselves were made of wood. That made us cautious, because everything we had found before down here was either made of stone or metal; anything wooden had long since disintegrated. Va’lyndra said we didn’t have to worry, for the doors were made of living wood, whatever that means. She stuck her hand into the doors, removing the locks as the wood shaped itself around her hand. I marveled at how easy some things get when you know a mage!

We spent a few hours in that house, and came to the conclusion that it once had been a concert hall. Kine found a jewel in the crack between two floor tiles. There were several paintings as well. Time hadn’t been kind to them, but they were all covered in clear, smooth glass, which could get a good price back in Garuk.

I discovered that searching for magic took quite a bit out of Va’lyndra, so she mostly rested, watching Lady Karita, Kine and me looking for valuables in an area she had cleared. Olivia stayed with the wagon and animals outside.

The next house also had a door of living wood. This one glowed to Va’lyndra’s eyes, so we decided not to break in before she could figure out what spells lay on the door. As she started her spell-dance, the rest of us took a look at the building. It was larger than the concert hall, but still only two stories. We found a small hole where part of the wall on the second floor had crumbled.

Having no reason to believe anyone would trap the opening, I climbed up and dropped down a rope so Lady Karita and Kine could follow. We took a look around, and found several distinct areas on the second floor. We had entered what looked to be an area of living apartments, prompting me to believe the whole building could be a giant inn for the wealthy. The second area was a huge room filled with paintings, some of them on free-standing easels. The third area was also extremely spacious; this one was filled with statues. The last area consisted of several chambers with stone benches and lecterns; Lady Karita thought they may have been lecture halls. All these areas lay between the outer walls and a U-shaped corridor. On the inside of the corridor, in the center of the building, was a vast domed cavern; a gallery with a stone railing went most of the way around.

We brought three lanterns into the mines. Olivia kept one outside, and Lady Karita and Kine carried one each. Va’lyndra was resting after the spell-casting, keeping Olivia company. The rest of us went to look at the room with all the paintings. We wouldn’t touch anything before Va’lyndra could tell us it was safe, but wanted to get a better look around instead of sitting still. I was walking alongside Kine, looking at decrepit paintings until we found one that didn’t look age-worn at all. It depicted a farmer with a hoe, working in the field. We turned around to tell Lady Karita what we’d found, when suddenly Kine cried out and fell to the floor. I looked around, but couldn’t see much. Kine’s lantern had gone out, and the only light in the room came from Lady Karita’s lantern, which was hurrying towards us from a distance.

Kine shook off the pain and told us she had seen motion at the edge of her field of vision, and turned just in time to see the farmer stretching out of the painting to attack her. I took out my first aid kit and bandaged Kine after first having pulled her away from the malicious painting. Lady Karita looked at the painting, and saw blood in it, dripping from the hoe, as well as spatter on the glass. The farmer’s eyes followed hers.

I took Kine outside to have Olivia see to her, and brought Va’lyndra and a blanket inside. I stood behind the easel and covered the painting. Then we went to inspect the statues, but found nothing of interest there. The glass from the hundreds of paintings would be worth a fortune, however, if we could bring it back to civilization. Kine voiced a concern about flooding the market when I fetched her. Lady Karita and Va’lyndra went to look at the lecture halls in the meantime.

When Kine and I arrived, we learned that Va’lyndra had been attacked by a magic that had tried to choke her, but she had been able to exit the room, leaving the magic’s area of effect. With all the spells she had cast, the attack had left her completely drained, so she had to rest immediately. When she was attacked, she had identified that the magic came from an inscription on one of the stone benches, and thought that if we could destroy the inscription, the magic would be dispelled. Kine and I went back to her wagon, to see if there were any tools there for the job, and came back with a pick.

Lady Karita wanted to attack the inscription, since she hadn’t been affected by the spell earlier, even though she had been in the room when it went off. Maybe the magic only attacked elves. Just in case, I tied a rope around her waist so I could pull her out if she fell. She didn’t go down, but the attack struck her hard. Kine tried as well, and the trap blasted her, too.

I had assumed that a magic trap could be defeated by someone’s strength of will, but seeing the effects of this trap, hurting and choking its victims, I guessed I might have a chance. Va’lyndra may be my equal in lifting strength, but when it comes to fortitude and stamina, I outstrip her, as our run through the hills last week showed. To be honest, Lady Karita and Kine are weaklings compared to me, although they both pack a punch. I’m not stupid, so I tied the rope around my waist before entering. I hacked furiously at the inscription, and after a few minutes, I had crushed the trapped part of the stone bench. I was a bit winded after the exertion, but never had the painful, choking feeling the others described. We searched the lecture halls thoroughly, but to our disappointment, found nothing of value.

As it was getting late, we decided to delay exploring the first floor until tomorrow. Va’lyndra had ascertained that the main door had some kind of password spell on it, but would need more time to figure it out. In addition, she knew there were more spells on the door, and we needed to identify them all.

We brought the malevolent painting outside, and Va’lyndra cast her analyzing spell on it. She determined that an enchantment lay on the painting, allowing a weirdly dimensional creature to inhabit it. I got lost when she pulled out the big words to explain. I think the creature needs to see in order to attack, so by covering the painting, we are safe. Using Va’lyndra’s wood-shaping spell, we could even hide the painting inside one of the doors of living wood. Having survived the millennia, the wood could be valuable in itself, so taking it through the checkpoint may not be suspicious.

Tags
campaign log