Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2020, 02:31 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Using Terror [Basic/Powers]

I was just curious about the various uses of Terror in people's games and characters? What impact did Terror have on your games? What benefits or problems did Terror cause for your characters?

For example, I once had an NPC race, the Sunderers, that had Terror (Sight; Will-7; Always On, -20%; Cybernetic Only, -50%) [30]. While biological sapients filtered out the subtle fractal nature of their appearance and unconscious movements, they caused digital sapients that perceived them to break down catastrophically (a variation of the Medusa from Star Trek). With even the simplest of digital intelligence devolving within a few minutes, they developed biological computers from genetically engineered neural tissue that avoided using digital designs. While an advanced spacefaring race, they could not visit the habitats or spacecraft of humans because the digital intelligences that monitored their interiors would start to fracture.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Using Terror [Basic/Powers]

I'm far more likely to put Terror on divine beings than infernal ones. Angels are terrifying. Demons are seductive.

There's a reason angels begin pretty much every conversation with "Fear not."
Old 08-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

An interesting choice, though it depends on the metaphysics of the setting. In my settings, it depends on the race of angels and the race of demons (which operate on more blue-and-orange morality than black-and-white morality). For example, Succubi should probably be seductive rather than terrifying. Both are a good choice for Noble Fair Folk though, seductive when they are calm and terrifying when they are enraged.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
An interesting choice, though it depends on the metaphysics of the setting. In my settings, it depends on the race of angels and the race of demons (which operate on more blue-and-orange morality than black-and-white morality). For example, Succubi should probably be seductive rather than terrifying. Both are a good choice for Noble Fair Folk though, seductive when they are calm and terrifying when they are enraged.
Also terrifying when they're trying to make a point that fits with that, like Galadriel when Frodo offered her the One Ring. The book version is definitely better represented by Terror than by something like Illusion, even if what actually happened in-setting was more like an alternate application of Charisma, and/or implausibly-high Acting & Intimidation skill or something.

EDIT: Terror with high Charisma as an Alternate Ability (with the AA being what's used most often)? Charisma 10 with Terror as the AA? Probably depends on how high the Terror needs to be to properly represent the character, and what limitations apply.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 08-03-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Charisma 10 [50], Terror (Alternative Ability; Will-2) [10], and Terror (Alternative Ability; Will-7; Cybernetic Only, -50%) [10] would be my preference for the Queen of the Elves. Nobles would probably get by with Charisma 6 [30], Terror (Alternative Ability; Will) [6], Terror (Alternative Ability; Will-3; Cybernetic Only, -50%) [6]. Terror with Cybernetic Only (-50%) would explain why computers are not detecting them, as an computer, no matter how simple, would start suffering massive issues when processing their visual images.