Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Miuramir

Default Questions about multiplayer, cons, etc

I've been running Ogre events at local cons and sci-fi club game days for several years, and I'm enthusiastic about the new video game version. Apologies if some of these questions are a bit basic; I bought the game and got it installed over lunch, but have not had time to play a game yet. I've got a club game night tonight I'll be putting Ogre up on the projector, and then will be running a small college convention this weekend...

* Are there hotseat options for more than 2 players? Particularly obvious choices would be the two Mk. III attack, which is ideal for 3 players, or a 4 Ogres, 4 map corners Ogre Duel; but all I saw in a quick look was 2 player.

* Not relevant yet due to timing, but is is not possible to play a custom / Workshop map in hotseat? I didn't see an obvious way to do this. Going forward, maps based on local terrain are popular for conventions.

* Does it have an "attract" / "kiosk" mode that it will either drop into on its own, or I can set it for, if it goes unattended for a bit between games?

* Is there a (legal) way to have multiple copies other than multiple Steam accounts, which is frowned on? Normally I'd pick up another copy on GoG or something so that we could have multiple games running, but that doesn't seem to be an option here.

* Does hotseat play require a network connection?

* Are there LAN play options yet? (ISTR someone saying not yet, but checking). For larger events I sometimes set up a small LAN for Bridge Sim gaming (Artemis, Empty Epsilon, etc.) which we could also use for Ogre if it supported it.

If anyone is near Blacksburg, Virginia, USA this weekend, feel free to come out to Invisifest (Fri. 10/6, 6p-10p; Sat. 10/7, noon-10p; New Classroom Building, Virginia Tech); it's free and we'll have both cardboard and electronic Ogre featured.
Miuramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Questions about multiplayer, cons, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miuramir View Post
* Not relevant yet due to timing, but is is not possible to play a custom / Workshop map in hotseat? I didn't see an obvious way to do this. Going forward, maps based on local terrain are popular for conventions.
As far as I can see hotseat is the only way to have more than one human player in a custom map at present.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miuramir View Post
I've been running Ogre events at local cons and sci-fi club game days for several years, and I'm enthusiastic about the new video game version. Apologies if some of these questions are a bit basic; I bought the game and got it installed over lunch, but have not had time to play a game yet. I've got a club game night tonight I'll be putting Ogre up on the projector, and then will be running a small college convention this weekend...

* Are there hotseat options for more than 2 players? Particularly obvious choices would be the two Mk. III attack, which is ideal for 3 players, or a 4 Ogres, 4 map corners Ogre Duel; but all I saw in a quick look was 2 player.

* Does it have an "attract" / "kiosk" mode that it will either drop into on its own, or I can set it for, if it goes unattended for a bit between games?

* Is there a (legal) way to have multiple copies other than multiple Steam accounts, which is frowned on? Normally I'd pick up another copy on GoG or something so that we could have multiple games running, but that doesn't seem to be an option here.

* Does hotseat play require a network connection?

* Are there LAN play options yet? (ISTR someone saying not yet, but checking). For larger events I sometimes set up a small LAN for Bridge Sim gaming (Artemis, Empty Epsilon, etc.) which we could also use for Ogre if it supported it.

If anyone is near Blacksburg, Virginia, USA this weekend, feel free to come out to Invisifest (Fri. 10/6, 6p-10p; Sat. 10/7, noon-10p; New Classroom Building, Virginia Tech); it's free and we'll have both cardboard and electronic Ogre featured.

Hi there Miuramir!

Only 2 players at the moment. We're going to look at adding a multi-pack option for people like yourself who want to grab a few copies for events/multiplayer sessions. We'll make an announcement when this is possible.

Custom Maps only available in Single Player Skirmish at the moment. We're looking to add them to Hotseat Mode and hopefully Multiplayer soon! :)

Local multiplayer doesn't require a net connection. The 'Multiplayer' screen is disabled in Offline Mode, but if you go into Skirmish Mode, you can add two local players so the functionality remains the same.

LAN capability isn't in the game for now. Not sure if there will be, but I'll add it to the suggestions list.

Thanks a lot, hope the event goes well!
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Buzzardo

I'd definitely like to have more than two in the game. Ticking through my friends, I think we could get as many as five of us in a game.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 AM   #5
AurochJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I'd definitely like to have more than two in the game. Ticking through my friends, I think we could get as many as five of us in a game.
Added to list of suggestions! :)
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:30 AM   #6
Miuramir

IIRC, there have been successful convention scenarios with as many as 12 simultaneous players, each with a Mk. V in a last-Ogre-standing deathmatch. The fiction was a virtual "graduation exercise" in factory cyberspace for potential Ogre AI brains; winner gets uploaded into the real world.

Personally, I'd be happy with 4 player hotseat working by Christmas, so I could play with family; a scenario where 4 could cooperate against the AI (so, technically, 5 player, but only needing to handle 4 humans) would be even more awesome. There aren't a lot of choices for hotseat co-op with me, my brother, and 2 nephews; Gauntlet is one of the few that works well, but Ogre has so much potential.

Has anyone tried a variant of Super CP with 4x Mk. III on the attack instead of the two Mk. V, and presumably around 4 more armor on the defense? This seems like it would be a great 4v1(ai) game, and could even be stretched out to an interesting asymmetrical 4v4 (attackers each get a Mk. III; two defenders get a Mk. III, one the armor, and one the infantry; or perhaps half the armor and infantry each).

Last edited by Miuramir; 10-13-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Miuramir is offline   Reply With Quote