Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #21
TheOneRonin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
I definitely like Sayeret the best, and since this is a strike force, having someone with the experience behind enemy lines would help.
After doing some reading on the Sayeret Matkal and looking at the templates for them in 3e's Special Ops, I'm convinced that using the US Army Special Forces lens is the way to go.

For the base template, change Native Language English to Hebrew and Cultural Familiarity US to Israel. I'll be fine with letting you add Language: English at Accented level for free.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #22
fifiste
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Estonia
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

I'm thinking on a demoman/engineer explosives and maybe gadgets and vehicular stuff would be the purview.
I see if i can whip something up in a day or two. If I can't then I probably have to announce my forfeit - I do hope I have the free time.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #23
TheOneRonin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
I'm thinking on a demoman/engineer explosives and maybe gadgets and vehicular stuff would be the purview.
I see if i can whip something up in a day or two. If I can't then I probably have to announce my forfeit - I do hope I have the free time.
Fifiste, only you and two others have shown any interest so far, so there really isn't any rush.

I don't see the game getting off the ground for another few weeks anyway, so take your time.

Also, I should have a handful more lenses up by the end of the week.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

I'm debating between a guy focused on intelligence, a combat expert (stealth, guns, camo, and more hand to hand), and a leader type (bump leadership, tactics, and so forth). I suppose the budget technically allows for all three--
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Now recruiting in PbP forum!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #25
TheOneRonin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm debating between a guy focused on intelligence, a combat expert (stealth, guns, camo, and more hand to hand), and a leader type (bump leadership, tactics, and so forth). I suppose the budget technically allows for all three--
If you go with the Special Forces or Navy SEAL base lens, you can pick the Weapons Expert and Intelligence MOS packages and still have 12 points left over for personalization.

I'm planing on posting a few more career lenses and maybe get in a few Specialty lenses tonight. Hopefully I'll have all options up on thread by the end of this weekend.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #26
TheOneRonin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

I added a few more career Lenses. Check this post for details.

Specialty lenses are coming soon.

BTW, you MUST pick at least one Career lens for your character. Other career lenses and Specialties are optional.

I'm probably going to limit which skills you can dump points into outside of the lenses, but I haven't settled on the specifics yet.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #27
Toptomcat
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

I'm toying with the idea of someone who's good at recruiting local help, and really good at training them, someone with a genius for making rabble into soldiers. Unfortunately the system doesn't seem to natively support this: Teaching is either on (12+, may serve as a teacher) or off (12-, may not), with no real benefit to your students for being a brilliant teacher.

Could I take some kind of permanent skill-granting Affliction with some kind of Preparation Required/Takes Extra Time, such that a skill point is granted faster than two hundred hours of training time?

Or maybe just something along the lines of Ally Group (locally-trained irregulars, fairly often, 25% point total), depending on the degree of abstraction we'd like to employ?

Last edited by Toptomcat; 11-25-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #28
TheOneRonin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
I'm toying with the idea of someone who's good at recruiting local help, and really good at training them, someone with a genius for making rabble into soldiers. Unfortunately the system doesn't seem to natively support this: Teaching is either on (12+, may serve as a teacher) or off (12-, may not), with no real benefit to your students for being a brilliant teacher.

Could I take some kind of permanent skill-granting Affliction with some kind of Preparation Required/Takes Extra Time, such that a skill point is granted faster than two hundred hours of training time?

Or maybe just something along the lines of Ally Group (locally-trained irregulars, fairly often, 25% point total), depending on the degree of abstraction we'd like to employ?
There probably won't be enough time for the characters to identify, collect, and train native resources when they are out in the field.

However, there is nothing wrong with saying that is what your guy did for YEARS before joining the Special Activities Divison, and that you have groups of people all over the world that you trained that have some form of loyalty and would be willing to help out.

I'll have to do some thinking on how best to implement this, but it sounds like Ally Group would be best. Stat it up the way you would like it to work and PM me and I'll either approve it or tweak it.

You'll probably want to pick one of the Army SF lenses...Intelligence would probably be your best bet for this kind of character.

BTW, I really like the concept.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #29
TheOneRonin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

One thing I'd like to see is for the players to pick different specialties.

One of my goals was to have the core template cover, at least at a basic level, all skills that any one individual might need through the course of the adventure. We could play a complete game with JUST the 300 point base template and you guys would still kick ass.

I wanted to leave open some additional room for specialization, but not lock everyone into HAVING to pick from a list. To use a DND analogy, I didn't want anyone having to say "Crap...I get stuck with the Cleric???"

So the base template fills all of the necessary requirements. The Career and Specialty lenses will add additional capabilities and let you guys pick which fields you want your characters to be extra awesome in without crippling the team if there is one specialty missing.

For example, having a character with the combat medic lens could be really helpful for the team, but you guys have enough first aid to where NOT having a Medic won't cripple you. This frees people to build their characters based on a concept instead of locking them in to HAVE to fill a predefined niche.

Having said all of that, for the sake of variety and fun-factor, I would like to see characters with different specialties. For example, an entire team of Sniper/Stealth specialists would be very capable, but probably not be as fun for all of us as a team of mixed specialists.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #30
ladyarcana55
 
ladyarcana55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bellflower, CA
Default Re: Torn Victor [Recruitment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
Having said all of that, for the sake of variety and fun-factor, I would like to see characters with different specialties. For example, an entire team of Sniper/Stealth specialists would be very capable, but probably not be as fun for all of us as a team of mixed specialists.
I was hoping to have mine specialize in making and repairing things, and not just things like cars and engines. Transportation, weapons and such.

I figured that would always be handy.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, espionage, martial arts, tactical shooting, technical grappling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.