Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Tomsdad

Default Re: Acrobatics - tic tac - underwhelming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
Those Tomb Raider videos look to me less like tic tacs and more like repeated jumping and grabbing. I think the problem might not be that raw doesn't allow high-skill characters to emulate Laura Croft, but that you're trying to use the wrong mechanics to do so.
I agree with this, no matter what the video says she's doing, she's not tic/tacking she's jumping and grabbing. Her hands clearly reach and grab the wall, she's clearly face on to the wall and spinning through 180deg during each jump to land facing the wall again. Her body is clearly flattens and then coils and pushes off again, there's no maintenance of momentum it's a series of jumps. She can do this because she has Lara Croft's strength to weight ratio and Lara Croft grip (and a supportive physics engine of course).

(I've played most of the TR games so do realise that this isn't the usual ledge grab and hang/shimmy/climb-up/long jump)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
BraselC5048

Default Re: Acrobatics - tic tac - underwhelming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I agree with this, no matter what the video says she's doing, she's not tic/tacking she's jumping and grabbing. Her hands clearly reach and grab the wall, she's clearly face on to the wall and spinning through 180deg during each jump to land facing the wall again. Her body is clearly flattens and then coils and pushes off again, there's no maintenance of momentum it's a series of jumps. She can do this because she has Lara Croft's strength to weight ratio and Lara Croft grip (and a supportive physics engine of course).

(I've played most of the TR games so do realise that this isn't the usual ledge grab and hang/shimmy/climb-up/long jump)
Sooo,

a maneuver sort of like a tic tac, but involving a 180 spin and shoving off with both legs, would be...

Or simply a repeated series of jumps, like in the video, shoving off with hands and feet, not maintaining much momentum, but not involving grabbing anything either, simply repeatedly jumping off (momentum never goes below zero, but it gets pretty close, since if you do start falling, that's the end of that.)?

Basically you're losing most of your energy each time, and each bounce has to provide most of what's needed to reach the far wall.

Perhaps that's where the confusion is coming from? Simply handle as tic tacs using half of long jump distance instead of a quarter, perhaps at an additional -2? Or using Basic Move x2 -6 feet for the long jump distance? (with running start and dividing by two afterwards.) And using high jump distance instead for elevation gain?

Treat as a series of standing jumps, for half distance, with -2 for each jump after the first, at least where's the nothing to grab? And a plain roll if you are grabbing something each time? Except that runs into the standing long jump and standing high jump at the same time issue, and a high jump not high enough.

Ok, coming up with a coherent set of rules...

Acrobatics -6 roll. Success gives you distance equal to (Basic Move) + (yards of running start) - 3 feet, and a height equal to your high jump distance, with running start, as normal. Each additional bounce, the roll's at another -2, but you add the distance travelled from the previous shove off to move. Maximum height is Basic Move x2.5 feet.

Something like that? Maybe?
BraselC5048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrobatics, basic speed, houserule, martial arts, tic tac