Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #51
SCHIFTY

Default Re: Challenge: Non-US Patriotic Supers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrale

How about a combination hero who takes the best from two somewhat similar cultures that are in close proximity ? Such as an over-populated area of the world where the hero can blend in and look like anyone in a crowd (disguise and stealth).

etc, etc.
Hey, look! It's Captain Polyglot!
Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #52
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHIFTY
Hey, look! It's Captain Polyglot!
Or the American Borg...
Your culture WILL be assimilated.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #53
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
*coughPost#16cough* ;)
He said "hockey", not "Shakespeare"...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #54
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk
He said "hockey", not "Shakespeare"...
I may appreciate Alpha Flight a bit more than the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd make that comparison...
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #55
hackbarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterious Dark Lord v3.2
Third World nations - or any nation with a MASSIVE divide between the Upper Levels of Society and the Peasants - might have their National Spirit divided that way (A elegant Lady Brazil like on the coins for the Upper Classes and a mean and tough Brazilian Macho for the peasants).
Brazil doesn't need two heroes, the Brazilian people see themselves as exploited by the 'elites', so a upper class representative would more likely be a villain.

The defining qualities of the Brazilian people are resourcefulness, and a certain disrespect for the rules. What we call "The Brazilian way" is an attitude of get on top of situation by not caring so much about the rules. This should be reflected on a hero that embodies the characteristics of the nation.

We don't have a unique culture represented by a personification, and the temptation of pushing the Brazilian super hero to the Amazon and Indians is great, but must be resisted. To the average Brazilian the Amazon is as far away in his mind as to the average North American.

The Brazilian personification should be an big city 'malandro', a trickster and small time criminal, but imbued with a sense of what is right not based on justice or laws, but based on the greater good. Mostly to the most poor and discriminated and not so much to the rich and affluent. Anything that shafts the rich in benefice of the poor is good, law and proper procedure be damned.

For the origin and nature of the power, maybe a kind of werewolf, based on the 'Guará' or Maned Wolf, a more coward than ferocious animal, a capoeira practitioner. And someone that is stronger than he thinks he is, as the Brazilian people tend to have a inferiority complex.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #56
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I can come up with heroes that are not unfortunate and inaccurate stereotypes.
Hey, that didn't stop the writers of IST... *cough*

One question I would ask is: does the country in question have American style superhero comics? If not, it's going to be harder to do this exercise.

Mexico: Mexico has its own superhero comics, plus a luchador tradition with a similar aesthetic. Mexico is a rural country with overpopulated urban centers, and corruption and local anarchy are perpetual problems. Sometimes, whole regions of the country are under the control of rogue militias for years at a time. A Mexican patriotic hero would be incorruptability personified, would probably have a martial personal style reflecting Mexico's proud military past, and would probably draw their support from broad popularity more than the support of any one party or faction. Mexico has federal police, so he might have a special badge, or he might operate without authorization under a secret identity. Mexicans often identify with Aztec and indio ancestors, but this is not universal. Spain is the cultural motherland, but England and Germany were also important influences, France was a colonial power, and the USA was essentially a sibling. Mexico is still largely Catholic. Mexico's tricolor is very recognizable.

I'd probably go with a jaguar-inspired cowl and a tri-colored costume.

Canada: Truly, it already has one. Superman's Metropolis is essentially Toronto. Someone like Captain America does not seem very Canadian; I have a hard time imagining a PR figure/commando/secret agent/public super hero fitting into the Canadian view of politics. He's a little too semi-fascist in conception (Cap himself is not a fascist, but the thinking that creates such a job is.... interesting). Anyway, a Canadian superhero fights for truth, justice, and respect for the individual, in a non-overbearing manner.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #57
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Okay, I haven't finished the character sheet, and am not sure I ever will, but here's some example from my country:

Ostap Chornobrov, "Chort with a machinegun"

Background: Taras was a machinegunner in the Ukrainian Insurgent Army during World War II. He was mortally wounded while retreating from SU's forces. It was a coincidence that one of the forest devils (лісовий чорт) mistook the blood from the wound for a bribe/sacrifice, and helped Ostap hide from the enemies. Said devil was also willing to heal him in exchange for a good story. Strange as it may sound, he was impressed. Not by the stories of defending the homeland from two enemies, but by the concept of guerrilla tactics in general - not that Chornobrov was a good tactician, but rather because he considered it the height of art of mischief.

The two made a deal. Chornobrov, along with 49 of his comrades was given a set of supernatural powers provided by the forest devils (including eternal youth). In exchange, he would train at least 50 of the forest devils in his ways of 'paramilitary mischief'. Once the team was selected, the hundred went into the dark forest of the underworld, to return in 50 years of training in both the supernatural and the mundane. In those 50 years, the other devils managed to recruit some more insurgents, and also provided an equal number of volunteers from their side. Nonetheless, the agreement was that only 100 would walk the surface of the earth at any one moment.

Personality: Ostap, despite all, is a rather charismatic fellow. Back in the years of UIA, he was known to be a very responsible person, always willing to help those in need, always keeping his word. Truth be told, he wasn't exactly an angel back then, and he isn't now. Rumors included disobeying orders, overindulging at several parties, lashing out madly at a crowd for coming too near when he considered himself busy, and shooting an enemy squad that was waving a white flag. The latter is, actually, a true and documented fact.

Skills: Many military and survival skills. Moderate social skills and a couple of musical ones. Some really minor occult knowledge.

Advantages: CR, Gunslinger, Charisma +3.

Disadvantages: Intolerance (Imperialistic states and their supporters, notably Moscovite Russians and pro-Nazi Germans), Code of Honor (Pirate's), Compulsive Carousing (12 or 15), Enemy (KBG, Watcher or Rival, depending on year - they realize who he is, vaguely or almost exactly depending on year), Loner, Selfish, Sense of Duty (Carpathians, any nations fighting for independence), Social Stigma (Criminal record, only in eastern CIS). Quirk addiction to smoking pipe.

Powers: Warp, Invisibility (switchable, some extra carrying capacity), Imbuements for Guns (LMG), Ally Group consisting of 99 Summonable alies at 75% power level, always available, with Special Abilities (Allies are not identical - either build them with slight differences, or let them have Modular Abilities; some of them are humans, some are chorts, but all share similar powers to his own).

Equipment: GPMG or another machinegun, camouflage, survival kit. Mission-specific stuff.

Style: Get in unseen, do what is needed, get out. If there is a need, 'call in' more chorts for support. Note that he doesn't shoot to kill if he considers guile to be a better approach. He doesn't, however, have any aversion to destroying enemy equipment.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #58
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc
I may appreciate Alpha Flight a bit more than the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd make that comparison...
The Alpha Flight character Puck is named after the character of the same name from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

He's nothing like any Canadian I've ever met (although I'm the first to admit I haven't met every Canadian), and I live in the capital of Canada...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #59
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
The Alpha Flight character Puck is named after the character of the same name from A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Ah, right. Still, that's "hockey and Shakespeare," not "hockey not Shakespeare..."

Quote:
He's nothing like any Canadian I've ever met (although I'm the first to admit I haven't met every Canadian), and I live in the capital of Canada...
He isn't? [/wide-eyed innocent] ;)
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #60
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
He's named after the round rubber disk used in ice-hockey.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers