Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
naloth

Default ER One Power only

Powers are generally defined such that: Telepathy might be a power that manifests as the abilities mind reading, thought broadcasting, mind control, empathy, etc. Teleportation might have a power with the abilities Affliction (Warp others) and Warp. Both often have the same source "Psi".

Powers p119
Quote:
One Power: Only available if you have two or more powers of a given
source. Your ER works with just one of your powers. -50%.
That implies that ER (Psi) could take either "Only works with Telepathy" or "Only with Teleportation" for -50%, but you wouldn't take ER (Psi) "Only for Warp -50%" even though the latter seems more limiting?
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: ER One Power only

Well, otherwise it would be ER (Just one ability) and the value would depend on how many abilities you have.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Ejidoth

There's a leveled perk, Limited Energy Reserve, in GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles on page 27. It's meant for use for spells within a certain style.

You could probably use a similar perk (even with the same name) for use with a single ability instead of a single style.

I'd really hesitate to let ER get cheaper than 1 per point, though, so that's about as far as I'd go with it.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Well, otherwise it would be ER (Just one ability) and the value would depend on how many abilities you have.
Obviously, if you only have one ability it's a meaningless limitation. Pricing it per ability seems difficult as some abilities use it more than others with many not benefiting from an ER at all.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
There's a leveled perk, Limited Energy Reserve, in GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles on page 27. It's meant for use for spells within a certain style.
Yes, that sounds like what I was looking for.

I was actually using the -50% for "one ability only" (rather than one power) until someone pointed out the specific wording which comes out to 1.5/lvl.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
I like the idea but still have trouble getting my head around the style system, I think I only understand colleges/paths still
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote