Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
PBarone714

Default GURPS Space 3rd ed. cHP Hit Points. GURPS Classic Space Adventures "Raid on Sterling

How many cHP (Hit Points) do the ships in the encounters of the "Raid on Sterling" Adventure in the GURPS Classic Space Adventures book have? How much cHP should I say the ship the PCs take have? What kinds of weapons does the ship that the PCs board have? Is the ship that the PCs have TL9?

Paolo
PBarone714@gmail.com
PBarone714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: GURPS Space 3rd ed. cHP Hit Points. GURPS Classic Space Adventures "Raid on Ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarone714 View Post
How many cHP (Hit Points) do the ships in the encounters of the "Raid on Sterling" Adventure in the GURPS Classic Space Adventures book have? How much cHP should I say the ship the PCs take have? What kinds of weapons does the ship that the PCs board have? Is the ship that the PCs have TL9?

Paolo
PBarone714@gmail.com
Are you looking at this to convert to 4e? Or perhaps to a different edition of Space's combat system? Or even something else?

Stats in Space Adventures would probably have been written for the very abstract combat system from Space 1e. "Converting" from that to a the ("modular" I think) system in Space 3e would be quite difficult. I'd have to do soem significant re-reading to answer your questions if the Space 1e to 3e (or actually muhc of anything else) thing is what you're looking for.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
PBarone714

Default Re: GURPS Space 3rd ed. cHP Hit Points. GURPS Classic Space Adventures "Raid on Ster

For the Space Combat, I’m using the rules from GURPS Space 3rd ed. revised.

Paolo
Old 01-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
PBarone714

The only ship stats mentioned in the adventure are for a Strike Fighter Ship

Class: Strike Fighter, 500 tons, TL 10

Component Power
Armor DF: 2 nil
Fusion Plant 50 MW
Thrusters -50
Crew 2 (pilot and gunner)
Life support, nil
limited

Weapons:
2 TL9 Light Lasers -10 in combat
1 TL9 Light HE Missile nil
Sensors -1
Computer,
Microframe nil
Landing Gear, nil
retractable

It doesn't mention cDR or cHP
Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
PBarone714

How do I calculate a ship’s HP using GURPS Space 3rd ed. revised rules?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
How do I calculate a ship’s HP using GURPS Space 3rd ed. revised rules?
In the rules for Vehicles 2nd Edition - which the rules for spaceships in Space 3rd Edition are based on - hull HP/cHP is based on surface area. See Space 3rd Edition p. 130; Hull cHP is equal to 15 x surface area in ksf (kilo-square-feet).

Hull area is based on hull volume; see p. 109 for the table, however Vehicles uses a simple surface area calculation of taking the volume of the ship as if it were a cube. This means that surface area in square feet is approximately equal to 6*(root3(volume) ^2). That is you find the cube root of volume, square it, then multiply by 6 to get approximate surface area; divide by 1000 to get ksf. Most ship sized then round this up the ksf to a whole number or approximately 2 significant figures.

For ship mass Spaceships 3e generally assumes a mass of 5 tons per "space" of volume, with "1 space" being equal to 500cf; then add mass of the hull & armor. So a quick approximation is to to divide volume by 100 to calculate approximate mass, though heavily armored ships may be 20-100% more massive than this.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 01-03-2019 at 04:45 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
The only ship stats mentioned in the adventure are for a Strike Fighter Ship

Class: Strike Fighter, 500 tons, TL 10

It doesn't mention cDR or cHP
No, it wouldn't mention cDR or cHP. Those weren't invented when Space Adventures was written. Your stats are for a product written to use a 1988 combat system that you're trying to convert to a 1997 version. There was a tiotal re-write between those years.

I can only help you a little. Your "500 tons" is probably 500 cubic yards or 13,500 cubic feet for Space 3rd. I beleive that means 5 ksf and 75 cHP.

cDR can not be calculated from your info from the stat block. We'd need to know the variety of armor selected and its' mass and not just the final result.

You may have gotten the idea that it would have been easier to have constructed your 3rd ed fighter from scratch rather than attempt a numerical translation from an abstract system. That's what I think anyway.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
PBarone714

Thanks guys!